Poster Thread Rated:  3 Votes
  •  Flipitt
      Flipitt
Raising the Britannic: Replicating the Titanic

From
Group:
Registered Users
Two questions:

Is it possible to raise the Britannic? (I've heard from many good sources that it is physically possible to raise the ship, though she could collapse due the detachment of her hull)

Also, I know it would cost an abolute bomb, but would it possible to ever build an exact replica ship of the Titanic? (With of course, enough life boats and updated safety regulations)

Please reply to my post! I know I'm new here but I'm incredibly interested in the Olympic class liners, mainly since I first saw the Titanic movie when I was 7 years of age. (I'm now 15) Yes, the movie may be what gave me interest, but without it, I would not have known of the ships. What amazes me is that such a grand ship actually sank, taking with her 1500 people. The finest ship ever to sail the seas, inronically lays at the bottom of it... The thought brings me to tears...
Posted on: 2004/12/14 16:25
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  GooseGrl172
      GooseGrl172
Re: Raising the Britannic: Replicating the Titanic

From Maryland
Group:
Registered Users
I've seen it a lot on this board, that the costs would be too great to build a replica, but honestly I see no difference in the price for this project as I do for the price it has costs to build the ships, and other projects, we have now.
Posted on: 2004/12/14 16:31
  •  Flipitt
      Flipitt

From
Group:
Registered Users
I think the real reason it would cost a great deal is because of the Edwardian decorations which would be required. However, if you think back to 1912 and how much Titanic cost to build, surely it is equivalent to the price it would be now? And, if they could buuild it then, why not now? It is my dream to build a replica Titanic, even if she was just a museum, replicating everything apart from the fact she could be put into water... At least then people would have a taste of her...
Posted on: 2004/12/14 16:34
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Yes of course they could build a titanic now. thats not the problem. they would only build one only if the ship could make its money back on it. just like the QM2. It cost around $800 million dollars but cunard know that they will easily make there money back and more. but with the Titanic how many people would it attract.
Posted on: 2004/12/14 16:54

From
Group:
Registered Users
It's always interesting how often the proposal pops up to raise the Britannic. Suffice to say, it's not practical -- there are a number of hurdles.

Best wishes,

Mark.
Posted on: 2004/12/14 17:23
  •  Flipitt
      Flipitt

From
Group:
Registered Users
Well, providing it didn't sink, I'm sure a replica of the Titanic could quite easily make it's money back.
Posted on: 2004/12/14 18:24
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Not so. i dont think may poeple today will want to pay lots of money to go on a ship that looks like there great-grandmothers house. i wouldnt appeal to enough people to make it viable
Posted on: 2004/12/15 11:04

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
no a think a lot of people would pay to go on a replica of the most famous ship in the world. It still is a risk to raise britannic but it's more fesible to raise britannic but both ideas are flawed look at ma previous posts to see what a wrote about possible ideas to secure both ships fate
Posted on: 2005/1/2 22:39
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
You do live in a dream world. just look at how much it cost to build the new QM2 $800 million dollars. dont get me wrong it would be great but it wouldnt make the money back.
Posted on: 2005/1/4 10:07

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
yeah it is expensive but a lot of money could be made from it just imagin the advert come see the Titanic call this number. They would need to build a huge warehous just for the guys to take the phone call it would make it's money no worries its just what could toe it to it's designated port amd as i said earlier the idea is flawed there is little or no strength left in either ships hull.
Posted on: 2005/1/4 15:09
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.