Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  3 Votes
Titanic = no sexual chemistry

From West of Ireland
Group:
Registered Users
Titanic contained no sexual chemistry and that's official.

Scientists have discovered what they believe is the formula for creating sexual chemistry on the big screen.

The academic experts boiled down sexual chemistry into its essential elements after watching a selection of romantic films.

Romantic comedy When Harry Met Sally topped their list, with a top rating of 10 out of 10 on the scale of movies with sexual chemistry.

Casablanca came second – scoring 9.5 – for the electric relationship between the characters played by Ingrid Bergman and Humphrey Bogart.

Films like Breakfast at Tiffany’s (9) and Pretty Woman (7) also scored well, but the likes of Hugh Grant and Sandra Bullock’s Two Weeks Notice received just two out of 10.

The newest film in the study, Lost in Translation, scored nine for “the subtle relationship” portrayed by Scarlett Johansson and Bill Murray.

Despite Titanic winning several Oscars, Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio were given a dismal zero, while Ghost, starring Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze, scored seven.

Psychiatrist Stephanie Charters, at King’s College London, found that voice, eye contact, body language and excitement, which she termed VIBE, should be used to measure sexual chemistry.

For voice, the researchers, who were asked to carry out the task for Sky Movies, looked out for tone and flutter, saying “it takes more than a well-delivered line” to add to the sense of romance.

Ms Charters said: “In Titanic, the way they speak to each other isn’t natural. It just doesn’t come across as genuine.

“In Ghost, Patrick Swayze’s desperate and sad lines as he tries to communicate to his wife shows perfect use of voice.”

The researchers looked at how actors use their eyes to convey sexual attraction.

She said: “When Meg Ryan’s character Sally shows that it’s easy to fake an orgasm by giving a demonstration in a restaurant, you can see Billy Crystal’s character Harry look at her in a different way.

“For the first time, he looks at her with different eyes and the floodgates open.”

Experts say Dirty Dancing contains the perfect example of body language, with the sexual tension between Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey hotting up on the dancefloor, while the sex scene in a steamed-up car on the boat in Titanic lacks excitement.

Experts also looked for the sense of excitement and anticipation conveyed while falling in love.

“When Harry finally confesses to Sally he is in love with her no one can help but feel a slight butterfly in their tummy,” Ms Charters said.

“In Titanic, there isn’t any of that, they confess their love for each other pretty quickly.”

The research was carried out to mark Sky Movies Romantic Long Weekend, which starts on Friday.

Here is the list of movies ranked according to sexual chemistry:

10 When Harry Met Sally (1989) (Meg Ryan/Billy Crystal)

9.5 Casablanca (1942) (Ingrid Bergman/Humphrey Bogart)

9 Breakfast at Tiffany’s (1961) (Audrey Hepburn/George Peppard)

9 Lost in Translation (2003) (Scarlett Johansson/Bill Murray)

7 Pretty Woman (1990) (Julia Roberts/Richard Gere)

7 Ghost (1990) (Demi Moore/Patrick Swayze)

5 Dirty Dancing (1987) (Jennifer Grey/Patrick Swayze)

3 My Big Fat Greek Wedding (2002) (Nia Vardalos/John Corbett)

2 Two Weeks Notice (2002) (Sandra Bullock/Hugh Grant)

0 Titanic (1997) (Kate Winslet/Leonardo DiCaprio)

(Irish Examiner, Dec 15th 2004)
Posted on: 2004/12/15 11:05
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Birdsnest
      Birdsnest
Re: Titanic = no sexual chemistry

From
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with the scientists finding. James Cameron's casting of Leonardo Di Caprio as Jack was a bit out. The type of character jack was would have been better suited to an older actor.
Posted on: 2004/12/15 13:34
  •  GooseGrl172
      GooseGrl172

From Maryland
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting. My ex boyfriend just graduated from King's College a couple years ago too. I'll also have to agree with the 0 for Titanic, if we were talking strictly about sexual chemistry; but there's a differnce between Love, Romance, and "sexual chemistry". It doesnt seem like they make that distinction in this article. I'd say Jack and Rose do get a 0 and 1 for sexual chemistry and romance, but I wouldnt say the same for love (or infatuation in this case). Love and Romance usually go together (when we're talking about it in this sense), and Love, Romance and sexual chemistry usually go together. But Sexual chemistry/physical attraction is the only one that can stand alone without love or romance (one night stands, etc.). Totally off topic, but I just had point this out from the article.

Posted on: 2004/12/16 0:15

From West of Ireland
Group:
Registered Users
GooseGrl172,

Good point. Are you sure you didn't conduct the study?
Posted on: 2004/12/16 7:36
  •  Sevb27
      Sevb27

From
Group:
Registered Users
I don't get it. What exactly do you mean by sexual chemistry? Different people perceive it different ways, It's a matter of opinion anyway.
Posted on: 2004/12/17 6:48
  •  Sevb27
      Sevb27

From
Group:
Registered Users
I don't get it. What exactly do you mean by sexual chemistry? Different people perceive it different ways, It's a matter of opinion anyway.
Posted on: 2004/12/17 6:49

From bottom of the ocean near the titanic
Group:
Registered Users
i agree opinions vary

for titanic avatars here is a good spot for ones of jack rose and the two of them together
http://www.fortunecity.com/lavendar/casablanca/110/titanic.h...
Posted on: 2004/12/17 21:33
  •  GooseGrl172
      GooseGrl172

From Maryland
Group:
Registered Users
Might want to pick up a good psychology book or two, or even the dictionary might help.

Jessica
Posted on: 2004/12/19 2:13
  •  lizw
      lizw

From
Group:
Registered Users
I think there's plenty of chemistry, but I'm glad I read this post because now I've got an excuse to watch the movie again and count all the instances of VIBE

Cheers
Liz
Posted on: 2004/12/19 22:39
  •  clinton
      clinton

From London UK
Group:
Registered Users
Well Jack and Rose didn't immediately go at it like rabbits. And in that sense I'm glad that they didn't. If you ask me, and I know you haven't: Jack and Rose loved each other in the proper sense. Jack respected Rose and Rose felt safe and secure with Jack and she was even willing to give up that safety in order to die with Jack when she jumped from the lifeboat back to the sinking ship. That's real love and not some sleazy romp. So yes they didn't break any sexual marathon record during the 5 day voyage on board Titanic but they did find the most important part of Romance called true love and trust. Good message for the younger generation don't you think?

Posted on: 2005/3/21 14:04
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.