i thought it hit amine
Posted on: 2005/3/21 18:49
Create PDF from Post Print
Re: what sank HMHS Britannic

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
It did,

But supposedly it was a torpedo, or both, i don't know, I don't have the time the now to read about it all, but there is evidence of a torpedo, though I would't say it was for sure. It may have been some other factor, to do with the ships cargo,
Posted on: 2005/3/21 18:57
  •  edward9139
      edward9139

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
good point. what's the hurry?
Posted on: 2005/3/21 18:58

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
Myself and johno, have a lot of exams coming up now, so we have't much time,

Wish us luck

I'll see you all soon,

Good night,
Posted on: 2005/3/21 19:02
  •  edward9139
      edward9139

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
good luck on the exams. happy b-day if i don't see you for a while
Posted on: 2005/3/21 19:05

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for you'r kind words, saturday is my last day of fun before studying, i may be on then, but if I am not, then hav e good one everyone,

cya soon
Posted on: 2005/3/21 19:07
  •  edward9139
      edward9139

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
you 2
Posted on: 2005/3/21 19:08
  •  edward9139
      edward9139

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
gtg. ttyl. ta-ta
Posted on: 2005/3/21 19:12
  •  Johno
      Johno

From Scotland
Group:
Registered Users
why are we taking about exams

lets talk about the topic at hand

In theory, the Britannic had nothing to fear from enemy submarines. As a hospital ship she was protected from attack under the Geneva Convention, but this was never a guarantee. The Germans suspected hospital ships of secretly transporting troops -- a charge that would be laid against the Britannic after she sank. (No evidence to support this charge has ever appeared.) And while the majority of German submarines were occupied in trying to break Britain's Atlantic blockade, a number were active in the Mediterranean, laying mines along routes heavily traveled by troopships and torpedoing enemy targets when the opportunity arose.

Mines, of course, did not distinguish between warships and noncombatants. The many narrow sea passages along the main Mediterranean shipping routes were natural areas for mine laying. And at least one mine-laying submarine had recently been active along the course the Britannic would soon be following. This was U-73, under command of Kapitänleutnant Gustav Siess. Late in October, he had been scouting out the Kea Channel between the Greek mainland and the island of Kea just east of Athens. Noting that most ships passed close to the island, he laid two barriers of six mines each at right angles to the shipping lane.

Despite these dangers, those traveling aboard the Britannic had reason to feel confident. At a service speed of 21 knots -- faster if necessary -- she could outrun any U-boat. And her builders had designed her to withstand the sort of disaster that had sunk the Titanic. A watertight inner skin, running for almost two-thirds of the ship's length and making her 18 inches wider than her two predecessors, protected her engines and boiler rooms. Five of her 17 watertight bulkheads extended as high as B deck, also known as the bridge deck, fully 40 feet above the waterline. The rest rose as high as E deck. All the bulkheads had the latest in electrically operated watertight doors, and the pumping system allowed any watertight compartment to be drained by means of a valve placed well above the waterline. The higher bulkheads were meant to keep her afloat with any six of her compartments flooded. In theory, it would take more than one torpedo to sink her.

And in the unlikely event that she sank, there would be a lifeboat seat for everyone. No one admiring the Britannic's massive profile could doubt that lifeboats had become a priority. Five sets of huge gantry davits towered over the boat deck, while two more graced the poop deck, each responsible for launching six of the largest lifeboats ever carried on a ship and, where a funnel did not block the way, capable of reaching across the superstructure to pick up boats from the other side of the ship if it became impossible to launch them there. (The original plans called for eight of these new davits, but the Admiralty needed the ship before all could be installed; instead, smaller Welin davits like those used on the Titanic made up the difference.) Each new gantry davit was powered by a special auxiliary electric motor and had its own electric illumination to facilitate nighttime loading. (As an added benefit, this new lifeboat would help make the Britannic more attractive when she finally entered commercial service after the war.)

Posted on: 2005/3/21 19:47

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
Am only on for a sec, but may I say, johno, i saw that place you are pasting these long answer's from. It is a good site,

cya
Posted on: 2005/3/21 19:50
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.