Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  tractorowner
      tractorowner
photographs of titanic/olympic

From tractor cab!,lincolnshire uk
Group:
Registered Users
i have noticed there seems to be alot of photographs of the olympic that people say is the titanic,if look a little harder they will notice that titanic and olympic arent the same!
Posted on: 2005/1/10 16:54
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  saswalo
      saswalo
Re: photographs of titanic/olympic

From Merseyside, England
Group:
Registered Users
I have noticed this too. Things like the titanic having two more portholes at the bow end than olympic and some of the windows on one of the observation decks are unevenly spaced on Titanic.
I have a series of postcards of Titanic in various stages of completion but the differences are quite noticeable.
The problem is it adds fuel to the theory that Olympic and Titanic were switched. The fact of the matter seems to be there was more interest by photographers in the construction of Olympic as she came first.
Posted on: 2005/1/11 11:08

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
yeah ave seen many tv programs use Olympic and even the lusitania and its sister. Too bad the general public can't really tell the difference
Posted on: 2005/1/11 17:46
  •  tractorowner
      tractorowner

From tractor cab!,lincolnshire uk
Group:
Registered Users
saswalo,i see were your coming from ,but the titanic never changed from being built to the sinking,as for the olympic,the sides were not changed either,photos taken in 1911 when olympic was launched,and 1929 shots of it in new york dont look any different other than a the spacings on the bow top white section,so i think it would very unlikely that they changed these sides on both ships over!put olympic and titanic next to each other then compare them.you'll find they aint the same at all.
Posted on: 2005/1/11 21:01
  •  saswalo
      saswalo

From Merseyside, England
Group:
Registered Users
tractorwoner,
What I meant was that sometimes an image of Olympic is substituted for an image of Titanic. So when we think we are looking at Titanic being built we may be looking at Olympic.
If you take a look at a lot of pictures which say 'Titanic in dry dock' or something it may not be Titanic at all.
Neither the ships or any parts of them (other than a propellor), i believe, were swapped. If you have any pictures of Titanic in dry dock or if you see some on the internet compare them to Titanic at sail and you may see slight differences. This is not because any parts were altered or swapped but simply because they are probably not Titanic.

sas
Posted on: 2005/1/13 12:43
  •  bigboat
      bigboat

From
Group:
Registered Users
ive never really compared but, i dont think they could be switched since titanic was alittle longer than olympic. if they even payed attention to that.
Posted on: 2005/1/14 0:23
  •  sundance
      sundance

From Molly Brown's home town
Group:
No forum
Actually it's done everyday right under many Titanic Enthusiast's noses. Take the CNN video clip that is posted on this group's movie clip page http://www.titanic.com/modules/mydownloads/
That ship is not the Titanic. When that is shown moving surrounded by tugboats is actually the Olympic. If you notice the stern of the tugboats, the names of the tugboats are scratched of each frame of the original film cells by hand which makes that area look like fire or material waving in the wind. This was done so that the tugboats could not be traced to the Olympic and the identity of the ship could be changed to a Titanic imposter. I have many collections of old archival footage that have the names of the surrounding ships and boats obscured. Even some footage of Captian Smith on board the Olympic was altered to obsure a ship's name that is docked next it and then refered to as the Titanic. Many aren't aware that on her maiden voyage, Captain Edward J. Smith, was captian from Southampton to New York via Cherbourg and Queenstown on June 11 took 5 days and 16 hours. That September Olympic collided with HMS Hawke in the Solent when her triple screws caused such massive suction that the cruiser was pulled into the larger ship's stern. Olympic was held to blame, and after repairs at Belfast resumed service on November 30. Following the loss of her sister ship Titanic (then under Olympic's erstwhile Captain Smith), Olympic underwent a massive "safety-first" rebuild including the installation of an inner skin and the installation of enough lifeboats to accommodate all passengers and crew.
Although very closely matching, there were differences between the Olympic and Titanic. The promenade deck on the Olympic, for example, was fully open while the Titanic was fitted with windowed covers over 1/3 of the length of the promenade deck. The Titanic also had some extra luxurious suites on the B deck that the Olympic lacked.
Compare these photos I have of the two.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/sundancekid17/Titanic%20compared%20Olympic/compare.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/sundancekid17/Titanic%20compared%20Olympic/compare2.jpg

Sundance
Posted on: 2005/1/16 2:49
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.