Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread
Re: staying afloat longer?

From
Group:
Registered Users
hi sundance, I do agree that there may have been more damage than most people have thought, I read your article on iceburgs and looked at pictures. I really wish there was some way we could find out for sure. Maybe someday we might know. keep in touch. have to go to work.
Posted on: 2005/1/22 11:06
Create PDF from Post Print

From
Group:
Registered Users
Sundance, something just occured to me about the "more life boats problem" even if Titanic had enough boats for everyone on board would there even have been enough time to launch them? most ships that were damaged went down rather quickly Britannic,Lusitania,etc... Titanic being the exception I really don't believe there would have been enough time, unless they offloaded in a very precise manner bow going back to stern. the way the ship went down. I read the story about Lusitania and many people were crushed by the life boats as they were trying to launch them. People just tend to panic in situations like these. I guess it all depends on if the ship is sinking at just the right angle so all the boat could be off loaded., a so called Perfect sinking if there is such a thing. well what is your opinion on would like to know.... Ernie
Posted on: 2005/1/22 11:23
  •  sundance
      sundance

From Molly Brown's home town
Group:
No forum
The answer to your first question is easy, yes there was more than plenty of time to load the lifeboats. Check the time logs for the first order to start to load to the sinking. Remember ppl were allowed to wander about and return at will to the inside or their cabins. There was no sence of immediate lifeboat filling for the first 30-45 minutes. I belong to another discussion group that is in my opinion the largest Titanic group that I recommend you check into. It is full of experts in that field, authors of many books, research techs and so on w/ 1000s of posts weekly.

The discussion of the terrible lifeboat management is well documented at Encyclopedia Titanica's website. I recommend you check out the subject there also.
http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/index.php

Posted on: 2005/1/22 18:27

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah it does seem that the ship went up and over a portion of the ice-berg. However it wouldt really be all that noticeabl to the passengers. It would explain why it went down realitvly quickly. And why the sonar equipment is saying there is not that bad dammage as first thought. Would explain a lot.
Posted on: 2005/1/23 18:25
  •  bigboat
      bigboat

From
Group:
Registered Users
you guys sure read alot. blub
Posted on: 2005/1/24 22:41
  •  sundance
      sundance

From Molly Brown's home town
Group:
No forum
If you go back and reread the United States Senate Committee Inquirey Board and the British Wreck Commissionary's Inquirey I refer you to the testinonies of two key witnesses. George Cavell, trimmer in section #4 Titanic
http://www.titanicinquiry.org/BOTInq/BOTInq05Cavell01.html
Pay attention close attention to 4229 thereafter in ref to water in #4 section and where it comes from and direction of travel.

Also read the testimony of Thomas Dillion, trimmer "In the engine room where the main engines are..."
http://www.titanicinquiry.org/BOTInq/BOTInq05Dillon01.html
Here read where he travel back and forth through the "once" closed water tight doorways that they opened themselfs and NEVER CLOSED THEM! line#3793, Remember this testimony was taken in may of 1912.
Attention to line #3738 and on
3738. What order? - The next order we got was to get out of the engine room and into the stokehold and open the doors.

3739. Open what doors? - The watertight doors or watertight compartments.

After you read these two testimony then you can start to see that the theory of water spilling over the E-deck high watertight walls doesn't hold water no more than the opened water tight compartments. Not only that but you read that compartment #4 never showed any signs of water being ingressed the entire time the men travelled back and forth through comparements.
At a quarter past one (one hour and fourty mins after striking the iceberg and the order to go on deck.) Compartment #4 was only damp. #3835 water appeared to be coming up through the floor.

If you take time and read the facts which were testified only weeks later by eye-witnesses you can see were the old theory of going down because compartments #1-5 along with Boiler Compartment #6 were compromised and water filled over the tops of the water tight compartments spilling backwards to the remaining compartments is not correct.

Do not rely on theorys that Discovery Channel or other TV documentarys try to sell. Use the actual inquiries from both the U.S. Senate and the British Wreck Comm and cross-check different testimonies of eye witnesses and you might see if a different picture of how the Titanic might have sank. Wilding admitted under oath that he changed the areas of water ingress in order to reach the conclusions desired by the BOT inquiry.
Posted on: 2005/1/25 3:33
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.