Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
"The Titanic Conspiracy"
Guest_Anonymous
[color=red:cfd4d73728]Hello,
I am in serious need of agreement, here! My class has been doing a Unit on the Titanic. We have also been having a series of fervent debates on topics and events about and during the disaster. Weeeelllll...to get to the point, my friend has been making these false claims during these debates. The most recent concerning the Egyptians. This mistake was one that I had hastily corrected. Proceeding this, my teacher, (who, I must say, is an overly horizontally challenged woman and refuses to accept accusations on her pets), starts a debate on "the Titanic Conspiracy". This was written in 1995, and claimed that the Titanic was switched with the Olympic. I have scoured this site and found a single paragraph containing some evidence that disagrees with this theory. However, when I printed this out, my teacher refused to believe me, siding with my friend, (who believes and supports this theory). If any of you have any suggestions as to where I could get some more info. to prove my teacher and friend wrong, I'd be much obliged. Thank you, again!
~ MAB[/color:cfd4d73728][code:1:cfd4d73728][/code:1:cfd4d73728]
Posted on: 2003/6/6 2:28
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Squall
      Squall

From Near London, England
Group:
Registered Users
This is going to be a very difficult task. However, you could just send her the site with the paragraph on and then it says that it is the official Titanic website. (You did get the paragraph from the site which is linked to this forum, right?)

I read quite a lot in one night about the Titanic, so I am fully aware of your argument and you are right because when the person discovered the Titanic, somewhat 12, 600 ft down in the North Atlantic saw the '401' on the ship which was the registered code for the Titanic. That's what I made out of what it said anyway!
Posted on: 2003/8/24 3:20
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
in addition to what squall said, the window placement on b-deck was different between the two ships and olympic did not have the two millionaire suites, which have been visited on the wreck.
there is also a big factor which i think kills this conspiricy:
Titanic was insured for $5,000,000 with the remander of the ships value...$2,500,000 being carried by White Stars [i:6070505238]own in house insurance fund[/i:6070505238], they would be ripping themselves off for close to a third of the ships value.

i cant see how Ismay and Andres would be party to such a scam either
Posted on: 2003/9/9 17:12
  •  Will
      Will

From
Group:
Registered Users
From what I have been able to gleen concerning the 'switch theory', it is my belief that this began to be promulgated shortly after the Titanic sank. There was an actress on board the Titanic that starred in a silent picture called [i:860de0843d]I Survived the Titanic[/i:860de0843d], and in this movie, they purposely used shots of the Oceanic being towed into Southhampton to represent the Titanic, and of course there were the postcards and placards of the time which would use the two ships pictures without regards for which ship was actually being depicted, to the extent that in one, a picture of the Titanic was actually labled the Oceanic. As Bess pointed out, there were several visible differences in the two ships. The Oceanic had only portholes which were aligned, the Titanic had portholes and actual windows and this skewed the alignment. The Titanic had shields on some of the windows to prevent sea spray from splashing the passengers, a sore point of some of the passengers on the Oceanic which Mr. Ishmay didn't see fit to correct on the Oceanic at that time. There are a lot of similarities, but a sufficient number of differences that allow us to make the judgement that the Titanic was the ship that sank and not the Oceanic. A good subject for provoking thought, but moot unless more information is forthcoming.
Will
Posted on: 2003/9/26 21:31
  •  The Foxes
      The Foxes
Titanic switched ?

From Near Southend-on-Sea, England
Group:
Registered Users
The rumours regarding the switching of the Titanic for the OLYMPIC were started I understand because of the damage sustained by the Olympic during the collision with the Hawke. Some people said that the hulls back had been too expensivley damaged!!! and that the White Star line decided to switch the ships and then arrange for the 'Titanic' to be sunk and then pick up the insurance money!!!!!!!!!!!!.
What COMPLETE and UTTER RUBBISH. The ships were very different and would have had to have their appearances and internal arrangements RADICALY altered to have pulled such a scam off. IMPOSSIBLE think about it all those people that would have been involved directly and indirectly, without a single leak. What about re-scheduling and booking of ship yards etc, etc, etc, etc.
No way, no how NO, NO, NO, NO............................................................
Posted on: 2003/9/26 21:55
  •  Luna_Aran
      Luna_Aran

From BC, Canada
Group:
Registered Users
This is definitely a persistant and very annoying rumor...

I can't remember which one, but I watched a documentary that mentioned this rumor and said that the stuff on the ship (plates and stuff...) had a number specific to the Titanic stamped on them. And then there were the obvious differences that have been mentioned before.

And if they had switched the ships, the Olympic was in service until 1935...wouldn't someone have noticed something? I could very well be wrong, but I think they'd probably forget to change something which would have alerted people to the difference...well, whatever.

There, that's all I can say without starting to shout, as my cousin (who also supports this ridiculous theory) has since found out.
Posted on: 2003/10/25 1:20
  •  The Foxes
      The Foxes
Conspiracy

From Near Southend-on-Sea, England
Group:
Registered Users
I also saw a film about one of the dives in which the number 401 was found clearly marked on one of the Titanic's propellors.
Also I may be sceptical about large money making organizations, but I doubt very much wether the I.M.M would have been so cynical as to endanger life for such reasons as insurance.
Plus of course all the previously mentioned evidence leads me to state once again; NO WAY, NO HOW, NO, NO, NO, NO, ...................................
Posted on: 2003/10/25 2:34
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.