Main Menu
Recent News
Latest Articles
Random photos

Titanic.com - Titanic News, Photos, Articles & Research | Forum Index
   Titanic historic
  What Really Happened When She Went Under?

Browsing this Thread:   18 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

•  Rate Thread
      Rate this Thread
      Excellent
      Good
      Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  GooseGrl172
      GooseGrl172
What Really Happened When She Went Under?

From Maryland
Group:
Registered Users
Hello.

I have a question about what really happened when the Titanic went down. From all the models I've seen and articles I've read, it's suggested that she broke up at, or just under the surface. That the bow and stern sections seperated just under the surface after the stern was pulled up the second time and stood verticle, "bobbing" in the water. Then just went down.

This has never made any sense to me. If would seem that if it were bobbing and seperated from the bow, that it would have bobbed, and on each decent, gone down deeper into the water, that it would have taken longer to sink, until it was gone. It didnt go like this though, it went right down. This doesnt make sense to me. Despite the weight, it still should have taken longer to sink, and the action should have been a little bobbing since all that air was still in there. Maybe a couple waves would have even been felt.

This is what I think happened and what makes more sense to me; that the two sections seperated a little further down. That once the stern had become verticle again, the bow did pull it down but the stern's resistance pulled the bow back up (in that very slow bob) and once the direction moved back down, the weight and inertia was too much and the bow pulled the stern down with it, causing the air to explode in immense force causeing severe damage to the stern as it was pulled completely under by the bow, then seperating. By the time they'd seperated though, enough damage had been done, and enough air lost, that the stern just continued to sink, but much slower than the bow, since the air is still escaping from it.

Now maybe the models and info. have been updated (and I just somehow manages to miss it despite how much I read) to support this, but if not, what do you all think?

Jessica
Posted on: 2005/1/31 5:22
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  NYMedic130
      NYMedic130
Re: What Really Happened When She Went Under?

From NY
Group:
Registered Users
Very good question Goosegrl and very interesting research sought. Though you have much of it down you must know that the bow of the ship was lighter than the stern in weight measurements. The ship did break at the 3/4 mark when the balk heads had become filled up and the ship started going under. The ship then started the process of the stern to rise and with this, it broke in "half". It would be impossible for a ship to break under the surface. The air in the bow of the ship began to release and made the bobbing of the front of the ship short, as you said. But like I said the stern of the ship was made to be heavier because of the bouancy and the displacement of the water when the ship settled in the water. I hope this information ahs helped you in a great way and if any more questions feel free to ask, I know many of us on here have our own theories of the sinking of this great vessel. Have a good day and hope this helped you.

NYMedic130
Posted on: 2005/1/31 6:23
  •  GooseGrl172
      GooseGrl172

From Maryland
Group:
Registered Users
well I stated that the stern was heavier, but at the same time it still had a lot of air in it. And what I meant by seperation further under water, was that the bow and stern seperated further down, since they were still attached by a "thread". Not that the ship actually broke under water. Models and articles show the two pieces seperating just under the surface, but I think the stern was dragged under with the bow a short distance before they seperated. Once they did seperated, the bow went away immediately with speed. The stern started decending slowly because air was still exploding out, but as it filled more and more with water, it decended with more speed. To put my theory more simply; The ship broke, the bow went under and pulled the stern down with it, before they seperated further down under the surface. I just find it really hard to believe that the stern could have gone down the way it did all by it's self when it was still almost completely filled with air. Even despite it's weight. I think this theory explains partly why the stern is so severly damaged in comparison to the bow. The air trying to escape and all.

Jessica
Posted on: 2005/1/31 15:42

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
It was the fault of the Keel. The keel was Titanics spine if you will, then there where struts going up the the steel over that. Very much like how a human body is designed. The Titanics hull was not designed to allow half the ship to be in the air so after the stell gave way the ship split into 2. But the keel which is super strong though damaged is still holding on so now as the bow went down the keel brought the stern up as at this point it was still attached. When the stern was up in the air the keel could no longer take the weight of the bow and si seperated. Basically the keel kept Titanic up as long as possible. If it was purley up to the stell the ship would of bent. As the stern was upright the water finally took over and the bouency was lost and it sank. The bow section goes down and crashes into the floor. The reason the bow is still recogniseiblr due to the fact it was full of water other wise the water pressure would of crushed it.

This would be plosible if you believe the film version. But I think it sepereted under the water and the stern twisted which would explain why the stern section is more mangled up.
Posted on: 2005/2/1 17:14
  •  Johno
      Johno

From Scotland
Group:
Registered Users
some crazy guy told me that the titanic reatached itself

he was a loonatic but
Posted on: 2005/2/17 16:05

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
Quite
Posted on: 2005/2/20 18:36
  •  Johno
      Johno

From Scotland
Group:
Registered Users
the main point is that the ship was mangled , and i don't see a way of reconstructing her
Posted on: 2005/2/21 15:13

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
We would't, just the bow probably, but it's a flawed plan, so am not sure.
Posted on: 2005/2/21 16:08
  •  Johno
      Johno

From Scotland
Group:
Registered Users
i don't think we should make a titanic 2, but a replica , same design as a tribute
Posted on: 2005/2/23 17:03

From Santo domingo,DR and New york
Group:
Registered Users
its a waste of movie to make titanic 2.
Posted on: 2005/2/23 20:06
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.