Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  Johno
      Johno
Re: Titanic Lifeboat sequence diagrams

From Scotland
Group:
Registered Users
yeah thats what someone told me once. Has anyone got replica blueprints of the sequence diagrams
Posted on: 2005/2/23 17:01
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  am_vanquish
      am_vanquish

From godforsaken florida...
Group:
Registered Users
yep. right here in my back pocket.jk. wasn't there a sight listed somewhere back further(earlier) on this thread?
Posted on: 2005/2/23 19:31

From Santo domingo,DR and New york
Group:
Registered Users
they was close and legend tell that captain smith saw the light of a ship the night of the sinking. California saw titanic but they think that titanic had a huge party that night. I guess they was wrong. I think that titanic SOS contact california that time of the sinking but i dont know what happen to this people in california.
Posted on: 2005/2/23 20:18

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah that's true. I was under the impression that Titanic had no red rockets which where used to signal distress, due to the fact they thought she was unsinkable. The calafornian saw the rockets but did't take notice that she was sinking ( she was 10 miles again ).
Posted on: 2005/2/23 20:53
  •  Stardreamer
      Stardreamer

From
Group:
Registered Users
To my understanding it was never the official position of the White Star Line that Titanic was unsinkable. The marketing folks may have implied that in selling passage and the popular press made their own assumptions along those lines but the supply of Safety equipment and the number of lifeboats aboard were not based on any such assumption. The shortages of safety equipment such as the lookouts binoculars seems to have been procedural oversights as opposed to delibarate decisions. There was a presumption in the official logic though that the ship's design was such that she would stay afloat long enough for assistance to reach her in all the scenarios that the designers had considered (uncontrollable flooding of the first five compartments was not one of them) and that it was considered that it would be safest for the passengers to remain aboard until that help arrived since the process of launching boats with passengers was inheriently risky.

The number of lifeboats carried was a football in the design stage, the paperwork trail shows the number fluctated back and forth between the minimum number required by regulation and the maximum number needed to carry every possible soul aboard. Noone in the post-sinking investigations seems to be clear why the final number which was slightly higher than the number required by regulation was decided on. There seems to be confusion as to whether the improved davit designs needed to launch multiple boats had been installed by time of the madien voyage, they are on the scale model prepared for the home office but it was unclear if they were ready on the ship itself. There was also some pressure not to clutter the boat deck as was mentioned but it is not sure how much that actually impacted the number. It was known that Mr. Andrews was quite concerned about the number of boats which was why he went back to the drawing board to redesign the davits to launch multiple boats, so it seems that she was to eventually have enough boats for all and the lack on the maiden voyage may have simply been lack of time for the improvements to be made.
Posted on: 2005/2/24 4:22

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
I've said this before on an other thread, but it clears up the hole 'Unsinkable' claim.

In 1911 captain Smith said ' I can not forsee a disaster that could cause a modern ship to founder, shiping has gone beyond that'.(im sure that was his words)

Neither White star nor harland and wolf ever said, Olympic was unsinkable, which is what smith was basically sayin about Olympic. A magazine of the day proclaimed the Olympic class trio practically unsinkable, but practically was thrown out the window. But crushily they never denied it, untill after the dissaster.
Posted on: 2005/2/24 17:05
  •  am_vanquish
      am_vanquish

From godforsaken florida...
Group:
Registered Users
concuring with bell: the "unsinkable" bit was media hype...
Posted on: 2005/2/24 18:39
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.