Poster Thread
  •  kitcat4599
      kitcat4599
Mabel Bennett

From
Group:
Registered Users
Hi everyone,
I've been lately trying to get some information on a stewardess who was on Titanic.Her name is Mrs. Mabel Bennett.She did survive the sinking of the Titanic(lifeboat five)and she was around 30 years old.This is all of the information I've got.I just want to know things like when she died.And where her last residence was.If anyone at all has information regarding Mrs Mabel Bennett it would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Posted on: 2005/2/5 15:22
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  NYMedic130
      NYMedic130
Re: Mabel Bennett

From NY
Group:
Registered Users
Hi there, I got some more info for you. It seems that Mrs. Bennett's last residence was that of Southampton Hampshire England. That's all I could find for you. Best wishes.

Posted on: 2005/2/8 13:38
  •  colekane
      colekane
Re: Mabel Bennett

From
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Kitcat 4599,

I have attached an article on Mabel. She apparently made it into this century before she passed away. The fur coat she wore on the night of the sinking was put up for auction in 2000.

I by the way have the original Marconigram that she sent from the Capthathia to her home address telling her husband she was safe.

She also served on the Olympic before her she sailed on the Titanic.

I hope this helps.

If you find out more let me know.

Sincerely,

Colekane

First published on Thursday 06 April 2000:
Survivor's fur coat was earmarked for jumble
A FUR coat worn by a survivor of the Titanic disaster is to fetch thousands of pounds after the Hampshire owner decided not to give it away as jumble.

Titanic stewardess Mabel Bennett used the coat to keep her warm in icy conditions as she escaped in a lifeboat from the ill-fated liner.

Now the coat, with its incredible history, is due to come under the hammer next week - and is expected to fetch at least a four-figure sum, if not more.

Mabel handed it over as a gift to a relative, a Southampton woman who is now 73.

The pensioner, who wishes to remain anonymous, said it had crossed her mind to give it away as jumble.

"It is very heavy and I have been ill and find it difficult to walk now so I can't wear it and my daughters didn't want it. It takes up a lot of room in my wardrobe.

"A couple of years ago when the refugees in Bosnia were appealing for coats I thought about sending it there," she said.

The coat was given to her in the 1960s by her great-aunt Mabel, of Cranbury Avenue, Newtown, Southampton.

The pensioner said: "It was too heavy for her to wear and my husband and I didn't have a lot of money when we first married so she thought it would be handy for me to wear. She used to wear it all the time up until then.''

Although she always knew it was the coat worn by her great-aunt when she escaped in lifeboat five from the Titanic on the night of April 14, 1912, she admits she never really realised the true significance of the piece of clothing.

"Mabel never ever mentioned her experiences on the Titanic, I only knew about it because my family told me about it and that the coat really kept her warm during that fateful night.

''Mabel was that sort of person for who once something like that was over and done with, you just get on with it."

Auctioneers Henry Aldridge and Son, of Devizes, is holding the Titanic auction at the London Hilton Hotel next week.

They had been visiting the lady to show her the Titanic watch, which was at the centre of a recent court case, as she was related to the original owner.

During the visit she mentioned she had a coat worn by her relative on the Titanic that was hanging up in her wardrobe.

"I was just stunned and couldn't believe it when she told me," said Alan Aldridge, who says he doesn't know of any other item of clothing from the Titanic coming up for sale.

"I couldn't believe she was going to give it away. A part of history could have been lost forever," he said.

Just a couple of days after being told she ought to get it insured, the couple decided to put it up for sale at the auction.

The owner said: "It was shock when I found out as far as I was concerned it was just an old fur coat. I know Mabel would say "sell it my girl and get what you can for it, it is stupid to leave it hanging in the wardrobe".

MORE TITANIC STORIES ON PAGES 6 & 7 OF TODAY'S DAILY ECHO

Converted for the new archive on 25 January 2001. Some images and formatting may have been lost in the conversion.

Posted on: 2005/3/7 3:46
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.