Main Menu
Recent News
Latest Articles
Random photos

Titanic.com - Titanic News, Photos, Articles & Research | Forum Index
   Titanic news
  why was smith even the captin of the titanic when he wreked the Olympic just lil while before that

Browsing this Thread:   9 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

•  Rate Thread
      Rate this Thread
      Excellent
      Good
      Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  1 Votes
  •  ryans77
      ryans77
why was smith even the captin of the titanic when he wreked the Olympic just lil while before that

From
Group:
Registered Users
i mean come on he wasn't the best man for the job in my eyes he wrecked the Olympic when she was coming out of port with a british war ship and he almost did the same with the titanic so what were they thinking
Posted on: 2005/2/12 20:13
Create PDF from Post Print
Re: why was smith even the captin of the titanic when he wreked the Olympic just lil while before that

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
It was't just Smith but alot of the crew from Olympic was placed on Titanic for the maiden voyage. The reason behind it was to make Titanic's maiden voyage go smother, many of the passengers on Titanic where on Olympic and wanted the same staff etc.

It was purley to make it go smother.

True smith did captain Olympic when it was struck by hmhs hawke. The same piolet aswell, but remember they did't know that the sheer size and power coming from olympic could drag another ship into her, Olympic was a lot bigger than her nearest rival and it was still a big ship. But he was going to fast and too close, so hawke was dragged in.

They where a bit silly when they did it again on Titanics voyage, smith went to fast between the Oceanic and the new york, and a similar accident almost came true. About 4 feet away from the stern only because the tugs where so agile did they get Titanic out of the way. It is sad how close Titanic was nearly averted.

For anyone who is intereted i have two pictures Takin from on board the Titanic which shows the insident. They are very good pictures and quite rare.

Jsut send me a PM and I will gladly oblige

Good day to all, am off to watch the BAFTA's
Posted on: 2005/2/12 20:31
  •  ryans77
      ryans77
Re: why was smith even the captin of the titanic when he wreked the Olympic just lil while before that

From
Group:
Registered Users
that may be so but he was also the one that let the Germanic cap size in new york and wrecked the Olympic twice so if he couldn't haddle her sister ship why he even in command of the titanic i would have yanked he right after he almost did the same to the titanic
Posted on: 2005/2/12 23:19
  •  ryans77
      ryans77

From
Group:
Registered Users
that may be so but he was also the one that let the Germanic cap size in new york and wrecked the Olympic twice so if he couldn't haddle her sister ship why he even in command of the titanic i would have yanked he right after he almost did the same to the titanic
Posted on: 2005/2/12 23:25
  •  lisa315
      lisa315

From flordia
Group:
Registered Users
AS STATED IN THE MOVIE SMITH HAD BEEN AT SEA FOR 30 PLUS YEARS HE WAS SUPPOSE TO KNOW WHAT HE WAS
DOING. I PERSONALLY THINK THAT ISMAY HAD ALOT TO DO WITH THE DECISIONS THAT SMITH MADE THAT DAY.
Posted on: 2005/2/12 23:47
  •  ryans77
      ryans77

From
Group:
Registered Users
i do think ismay had some part in it but not that much smith was retireing after this so i don't think ismay had that much influince on the matter as the captian his frist duty was to the passengers on the ship not to ismay but he should have slowed down but he lit the last 3 boilers that was his call it was his ego plus they made him a hero by going down with her but he took in my eyes the cowards way out he knew he was ruiend that's why he went down with her even today if u wreck a ship your done and he wrecked two the olypic twice and almost the titanic twice i mean come on u would think a captian of 30 years would have learnd from the hawke but he did almost the same thing with titanic
Posted on: 2005/2/13 7:05

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
The boilers where lit so they could try to atleast equal the Olympics maiden voyage time. I would't use the film as a basis for what smith was like, however that said he was the one that gave the order so.

Your right that a after 30 years experience he should of been more careful, but remember Titanic and Olympic where so much larger and more powerful than anything before them.

A don't think it was his ego, more him being nieve, which most people do at some point in there life.
Posted on: 2005/2/13 13:46
  •  ryans77
      ryans77

From
Group:
Registered Users
but bell was he the best man for the job in your eyes i mean if u owend the white star would u have let him contue after he almost wrecked her the frist time
Posted on: 2005/2/13 21:08

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
A don't know ave never been in such a position, but he worked with them a while he must of had friends in high places and it was his last outin.

Was he the best man, probably not but remember he did mange to get Olympic on a couple of journeys without insodent.

A don't know but regardless he did, and right enough he did't even bother to be on the bridge at the time of the berg innsodent.

No ure right ryans77 he was't the best man for it,
Posted on: 2005/2/13 21:12
  •  ryans77
      ryans77

From
Group:
Registered Users
hey bell is there a titanic chat room that u know of ?
Posted on: 2005/2/13 21:17
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.