Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  Johno
      Johno
Captain Edward James Smith

From Scotland
Group:
Registered Users
In the film titanic, when all the water was rushing in and ppl were fleeing, smith didn't look too bothered bout it.

whether this happened in the real incident i don't know but this tells me due to his body language that this was meant to happen and that he wanted to sink the ship. Like he knew this would happen and that it was part of the plan all along.

Posted on: 2005/2/20 18:11
Create PDF from Post Print
Re: Captain Edward James Smith

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
It's a movie john, many survivers gave conflicting testiminies about the sinking, like smiths death some said he was carrying a baby and then something happened a for get what exactly.

They can't even give the same account of the Titanics final moments, some say it split in 2 above the water, other say it went down much like the night to remember one.
Posted on: 2005/2/20 18:32
  •  sundance
      sundance

From Molly Brown's home town
Group:
No forum
It was only a "movie". Bernard Hill portrays the Captain Smith as an "actor" with the intent of entertainment only, not a accurate depiction of history to be scrutinized or analyzed. I hardly see how that actor's body lanuage can tell you intent at all!

I suggest if you really want to analye the Captain's actions you might find actual testimony very useful. You might find answers to many other questions by checking out both the U.S. Senate and the British House Inquiry Boards held in May of 1912 here:
http://www.titanicinquiry.org/index.html

There are numerous references there to actual testimony of witnesses of Capt. Smith at the time of Titanic going down that can be accurately.

I would be interested what you find that might support your post that
"that he wanted to sink the ship. Like he knew this would happen and that it was part of the plan all along"

Do you suggest that Capt Smith had any intent to cause harm to anyone for the consequences of purposely "planning" the Titanic to sink? I think that the relatives of the Smith family might find your assertions on the "offensive" or at least irresponsible side.
Posted on: 2005/2/21 3:20
  •  Johno
      Johno

From Scotland
Group:
Registered Users
i whatever bell away and watch a night to remeber, you anol sundance
Posted on: 2005/2/21 16:06
  •  Johno
      Johno

From Scotland
Group:
Registered Users
irresponsible, its not as though they are going to come looking for me on a forum, get real
Posted on: 2005/2/21 16:07

From Santo domingo,DR and New york
Group:
Registered Users
they never found his body.
Posted on: 2005/2/21 19:38

From
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
Dear Johno,

Asides from making spurious comments to the Smith's i do feel you should have some common sense in posting and refrain from using multiple smiles -D like these since one or two is well enough to express your emotion with these little emoticons. If members just like the excitement of clicking on them multiple times as if these emoticons are going to speak or jump in front of you, thats not fun at all because it obstructs the text and neatness of the board. and i will consider removing them as an option to the post as it gets misused rather than used.

I must press the issue that this is a "free" community site for the masses. And by asserting that you "might" feel irresponsible as asserted by Sundance; you have yet to proove to me and the community members if you would mind about the well being of this discussion topic or at least being sensible to the other community members. Not doing this really undermines the effort of respected community members who are here without any compensation and my self doing long hours and supporting this site.

As I do not directly ban or block users with bad grammar or a low sense of humour on my boards, its nice that other members help you along but do have some respect. please. I don't think that many other board administrators are going to bother explaining all this knowing you might retaliate or not come back by doing what I do.

Altough you have a high post count, I do strongly beleive that not all of them are worth toward your post count. as you have alot of posts in contradiction to the Posting rules especially the guide lines. After i have rectified a few issues i will be cleaning up some of these non-sense posts.

Thanks very much for other members who obviosly rang alarm prior to this open assertion by you that you don't mind, i am not having it going to press this issue again with you so i have removed access to the discussion board until you really get your gumption back together. I suggest you follow my communication to you by email to rectify the matter.

I am not going to be nice every day like this if members start to take your example. so this is a harsh action but necessary to maintain the board to the standards it deserves with the normal effort it should take. as this is "i press: a free" information website with the very low amount of neat advertising nor "any" of the pop ups/unders you might see on similar information sites. so you and other members alike should be feeling atleast responsible a bit or even gartified that i am not requesting donations for the maintenance of the site.

A note to other members reading this post by chance: This will obviously not be the last incident requiring a speech by myself. Its appreciated if I continue to get the input I get now to improve the site. I will have more time to devote my energy and time with community members and value the alertness and care you are taking for community board like this. It really shows the power of the internet can be great if not misused.
Posted on: 2005/2/22 0:57
  •  liana
      liana

From Athens, Greece
Group:
Registered Users
I am a captain's daughter and although -Thank God!- he was never involved in such a tragedy in all his 40 years of experience, he told me (he being a great fan of the movie!) that no experienced seeman could remain calm under such conditions. Captain Smith in real life I believe he tried to remain calm for the shake of every soul on board the vessel...but don't forget he was only a human too! And this was his last journey before his retirement...See the irony of the matter?
Anyway, as a captain's daughter and as a person who was always surrounded by seamen, I saw my father in that man...and frankly I couldn't help myself in feeling terribly sympathetic towards his family...
Posted on: 2005/2/22 8:13
  •  edward9139
      edward9139

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
Just because you're from Scotland doesn't mean that you have to talk so the the rest of the world can't understand you. This isn't AIM. I'm from th US and I imagine you can read my typing, no?Quote:

Johno wrote:
i whatever bell away and watch a night to remeber, you anol sundance
Posted on: 2005/3/19 11:57
  •  edward9139
      edward9139

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
If he had wanted to kill everyone on board, then I have a suspicion that he wouldn't have let down the lifeboats. Quote:

Johno wrote:
In the film titanic, when all the water was rushing in and ppl were fleeing, smith didn't look too bothered bout it.

whether this happened in the real incident i don't know but this tells me due to his body language that this was meant to happen and that he wanted to sink the ship. Like he knew this would happen and that it was part of the plan all along.

Posted on: 2005/3/19 12:00
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.