Main Menu
Recent News
Latest Articles
Random photos

Titanic.com - Titanic News, Photos, Articles & Research | Forum Index
   Titanic historic
  Captain Smith......Did he jump, go down with his ship bravely standing at the wheel or survive?

Browsing this Thread:   71 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

•  Rate Thread
      Rate this Thread
      Excellent
      Good
      Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  4 Votes
  •  TitanicRose
      TitanicRose
Captain Smith......Did he jump, go down with his ship bravely standing at the wheel or survive?

From
Group:
Registered Users
There has been much debate over the disappearance of Capt. Smith. Some say that he was witnessed jumping off the ship. Others say he was witnessed going down at the wheel (which is of course the way the movie portrayed it). I am looking to see what everyones opinion on this subject is, or if anyone has any information about what actually happened for sure.

Posted on: 2005/2/24 6:38
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  brian412
      brian412
Re: Captain Smith......Did he jump, go down with his ship bravely standing at the wheel or survive?

From Ohio,United States
Group:
Registered Users
The Million dollar question! I don't think anyone will ever know for
sure.Some say he was the one who committed suicide,but I highly
doubt it. There is a lot of speculation from the collision to the
sinking. Most of the eyewitness testimonies contradict themselves.
I strongly believe he went down with the ship,but nobody knows
for sure.
Posted on: 2005/2/24 7:12
Re: Captain Smith......Did he jump, go down with his ship bravely standing at the wheel or survive?

From Santo domingo,DR and New york
Group:
Registered Users
I think that captain smith went down with his ship.
Posted on: 2005/2/24 17:36
  •  annie242
      annie242

From UK
Group:
Registered Users
I agree
Posted on: 2005/2/24 18:17
  •  am_vanquish
      am_vanquish

From godforsaken florida...
Group:
Registered Users
i don't know what he did, it would have been the right thing if he went down with the ship,though...
Posted on: 2005/2/24 18:46
  •  Stardreamer
      Stardreamer

From
Group:
Registered Users
The last clear eye witness report had him on the bridge a short while before she went down. Reports after that are less clear and place him at several locations but the one most popularly accepted was he was in the wheelhouse when she went down. There is no real supporting evidence to say if that is true or not but it gives a most romantic and fitting end for him and I think it is appropriately honoring to accept that as the truth until something specific comes along to prove otherwise.
Posted on: 2005/2/24 22:19
  •  TippooTib
      TippooTib

From
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know of any survivor accounts that place Captain Smith on the bridge when the ship went down. On the contrary, Harold Bride (in his official report to the Marconi company) said that he saw Smith jump into the sea shortly before the bridge submerged.
Posted on: 2005/2/25 0:31
  •  am_vanquish
      am_vanquish

From godforsaken florida...
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TippooTib wrote:
I don't know of any survivor accounts that place Captain Smith on the bridge when the ship went down. On the contrary, Harold Bride (in his official report to the Marconi company) said that he saw Smith jump into the sea shortly before the bridge submerged.

this lines up with what i remeber reading and hearing....
Posted on: 2005/2/28 19:07

From Elmira, NY
Group:
Registered Users
I remember reading that he jumped into the sea, and that the last anyone saw of him, he handed a child to someone and vanished! Anybody else remember that?

Posted on: 2005/2/28 20:31
  •  Love782
      Love782

From Surf City USA!!!
Group:
Registered Users
Mmm, I think that Captian smith may have jumped, but i do not think he survived. many eyewitnesses claim to have seen him in the water, but none have claimed to see him on the rescue boats. Indeed, the million dollar mystery!
Posted on: 2005/2/28 23:35
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.