Main Menu
Recent News
Latest Articles
Random photos

Titanic.com - Titanic News, Photos, Articles & Research | Forum Index
   Titanic historic
  Captain Smith......Did he jump, go down with his ship bravely standing at the wheel or survive?

Browsing this Thread:   66 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

•  Rate Thread
      Rate this Thread
      Excellent
      Good
      Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  4 Votes
Re: Captain Smith......Did he jump, go down with his ship bravely standing at the wheel or survive?

From
Group:
Registered Users
THE ONLY REASON THE NEVER FOUND HIS BODY IS BECAUSE HE WENT DOWN WITH THE SHIP AND BESIDES IF HE DID SURVIVE WHY THEN DIDN'T HE GO TO HIS PASSENGERS AND HELP GET OUT OF THE SITUATION AND FIND HELP FOR THEM? AND BESIDES HIS GRAVE WOULDN'T BE FOUND BECAUSE IT IS IN IRELAND.Quote:

ReefBlue wrote:
Quote:
by TitanicRose on 2005/3/5 22:46:27

Do you know of anywhere that theres proof to back up the fact that they found his body or what was left of it? I would like to see any proof of that (e.g. a website link, a book reference, anything). Thank you :)

He wasn't found. If his body was ever found, it would be well known where he is buried, or what happened to his body.

It also isn't something that would have been hidden. It would have been a curiosity for people to go see where he was buried, and if the location was kept secret, in the last 90 years, his gravesite would have been found and publicized.
Posted on: 2005/3/11 18:09
Create PDF from Post Print
Re: Captain Smith......Did he jump, go down with his ship bravely standing at the wheel or survive?

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
I would agree with that. But perhaps IF he survived it, he couldn’t face the press in New York City. Questions such as, how did u manage to sink Titanic when you took a literal replica out before without incident? Or why didn’t you smash into the berg, why did you wait a while to send the S.O.S, why did you wait a log time to launch the life boats etc? No man or woman could answer all those questions, so if he really did survive which I doubt, then I think he disappeared, though I haven’t the faintest, how he managed it.
Posted on: 2005/3/11 21:11
  •  first_matey
      first_matey

From
Group:
Registered Users
I read a quote somewhere, I think it was said by Jack Thayer, that someone swam up to his boat, (they couldn't see anything remember,) and asked "Is there any room for me?" they replied "no," because they didn't want him to swamp the boat, and he said "OK" and swam away. After that, Jacks said "That was Captain Smith, I know it was." So if Jack was right, than Captain Smith jumped.
Posted on: 2005/3/12 19:09
  •  edward9139
      edward9139

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think that there is any way to be sure who that really was who swam up to the boat. I'm sure that there was someone else on the boat who had a white beard and was wearing a white dress suit. It could have been anyone, there's no way to be sure.Quote:

first_matey wrote:
I read a quote somewhere, I think it was said by Jack Thayer, that someone swam up to his boat, (they couldn't see anything remember,) and asked "Is there any room for me?" they replied "no," because they didn't want him to swamp the boat, and he said "OK" and swam away. After that, Jacks said "That was Captain Smith, I know it was." So if Jack was right, than Captain SmitI don't think that there is any way to be sure who that really was who swam up to the boat. I'm sure that there was someone else on the boat who had a white beard and was wearing a white dress suit. It could have been anyone, there's no way to be sureh jumped.
Posted on: 2005/3/17 0:13
  •  Johno
      Johno

From Scotland
Group:
Registered Users
He wouldn't have survived thats for sure

if he jumped people would have seen him do it or would have seen his body in the water

The only logical answer is that he went down with his ship bravely, Sad really to think about it
Posted on: 2005/3/19 16:16
  •  edward9139
      edward9139

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
True. The life jackets were also white. Quote:

Johno wrote:
He wouldn't have survived thats for sure

if he jumped people would have seen him do it or would have seen his body in the water

The only logical answer is that he went down with his ship bravely, Sad really to think about it
Posted on: 2005/3/20 11:51
  •  Johno
      Johno

From Scotland
Group:
Registered Users
but to think about it, if he had stayed in his room and went down with his ship bravely, they might have found his body in the room.

strange
Posted on: 2005/3/20 13:54
  •  edward9139
      edward9139

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
The bones would have long since been covered in dust or would have disappeared somehow.
Posted on: 2005/3/20 16:40

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
Or maybe after the pole in which the crows nest was that fell on the bridge crushed the remains. Not very nice,
Posted on: 2005/3/20 19:21
  •  first_matey
      first_matey

From
Group:
Registered Users
All human remains were long gone in a few years after the ship went down. Unless they're in special-treated leather, (which the fish won't touch,) there are no human remains left at the bottom, and there weren't any when they had the first expedition when they discovered it.
Posted on: 2005/3/20 23:25
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.