Main Menu
Recent News
Latest Articles
Random photos

Titanic.com - Titanic News, Photos, Articles & Research | Forum Index
   Titanic historic
  Captain Smith......Did he jump, go down with his ship bravely standing at the wheel or survive?

Browsing this Thread:   71 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

•  Rate Thread
      Rate this Thread
      Excellent
      Good
      Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  4 Votes
  •  mitchell66
      mitchell66
Re: Captain Smith......Did he jump, go down with his ship bravely standing at the wheel or survive?

From
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ReefBlue wrote:
Quote:
by TitanicRose on 2005/3/5 22:46:27
jack isnt real but rose r

Do you know of anywhere that theres proof to back up the fact that they found his body or what was left of it? I would like to see any proof of that (e.g. a website link, a book reference, anything). Thank you :)

He wasn't found. If his body was ever found, it would be well known where he is buried, or what happened to his body.

It also isn't something that would have been hidden. It would have been a curiosity for people to go see where he was buried, and if the location was kept secret, in the last 90 years, his gravesite would have been found and publicized.
Posted on: 2006/1/9 22:09
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Captain
      Captain
Re: Captain Smith......Did he jump, go down with his ship bravely standing at the wheel or survive?

From
Group:
Registered Users
Well, he was probably crushed. If he stayed in the wheelhouse and the windows gave way all that water would force him against a wall and crush him. It's possible that he held onto the wheel for dear life and drowned. However, he had to make some form of escape (Come on!! It's hard to just float their and drown). We know what happened to JJ Astor. When his body was pulled from the sea they found 2,000 pounds in his pocket. His face and torso was mangled and covered in coal. He was probably (I mean PROBABLY as being DEFINATELY) hit by a funnel.
Posted on: 2006/1/23 2:03
  •  Spudnik
      Spudnik

From
Group:
Registered Users
Gday everyone i have a book called Titanic investergation
it say before Bruce Ismay jump in the life boat he saw captain smith walk in to the wheel house and close the door so he must have gone down with the ship as the saying goes every good captain goes down with the ship
Posted on: 2006/2/4 11:07

From Orange, VA (U.S.A.)
Group:
Registered Users
It's a fantastic mystery. One of which may never be solved...

I personally think he probably did go down with Titanic.

According to what I've read and heard, Titanic's maiden voyage was to be Captain Smith's Last voyage, before retiring to spend more time with his family.

Captain Smith was an honorable captain, who'd most likely go down with his ship (I say 'most likely' because survival instince are quite unpredictable, when they kick in).

Did he go to the into the bridge (like on the movie) and held onto the wheel, when the windows imploded? We may never know.

Still, it's a question to ponder, while you microwave a burrito, or something.
Posted on: 2006/4/9 20:35
  •  TippooTib
      TippooTib

From
Group:
Registered Users
Salaam, Rose.

>Others say he was witnessed going down at the wheel (which is of >course the way the movie portrayed it).

The important thing to remember, though, is that no *survivor* ever claimed to have seen Smith go down while standing at the wheel. That being the case, other people's statements that Smith went down at the wheel are just undocumented claims without any eyewitness testimony to back them up.

Achmet
Posted on: 2006/4/10 10:44

From Delaware, United States
Group:
Registered Users
There are so many theories surrounding what Captain Smith's final moments were it's unreal. I'll list a few:

#1. Captain Smith is last seen standing on the bridge.

#2. Captain Smith is reported by Harold Bride as jumping from the bridge into the water just as it was about to be submerged.

#3. Another claims Smith said "Be British boys, be British" before going under with the ship.

#4. Captain Smith is seen handing a child to a lifeboat, and after attempting to bring him aboard the boat, he shook it off and swam a short distance before becoming still. There are several stories with Smith handing a infant child to those in a lifeboat.

#5. A passenger reports that Smith was washed off the deck of the Titanic when she lunged forward.

#6. One of the most interesting stories of what happened to Captain E. J. Smith goes was reported Captain Peter Pryal in the Baltimore, MD Press on July 20th 1912. "Captain Pryal, one of the oldest mariners in Baltimore and well known in shipping circles, who sailed with Captain Smith when he was the commander of the Majestic, made the startling statement today that he saw and talked to Captain Smith at Baltimore & St. Paul Streets. He declares he walked up to Captain Smith and said, 'Captain Smith, how are you?' Then the man answered, 'Very well, Pryal, but please don't detain me, I am on business.' He says he followed the man, saw him buy a ticket for Washington, and as he passed through the gate of the railway station he turned, recognized Pryal again, and remarked 'Be good, shipmate, until we meet again.' 'There is no possibility of my being mistaken,' said Captain Pryal, 'I have known Captain Smith too long. I would know him even without his beard. I firmly believe that he was saved and in some mysterious manner brought to this country. I am willing to swear to my statement. Many persons may think I am insane, but I have told Dr. Warfield of the occurrence and he will vouch for my sanity.' Dr. Warfield said that Captain Pryal was perfectly sane. The captain is well-to-do and is a consistent church member."

That one of course seems outragously false, since someone would have to have known Smith made it off the ship and into or "onto" a lifeboat somehow. These are just a few of the many stories that have been reported of Smith's last moments. We'll never know exactly what happend to Captain Smith...but we can always speculate eh?
Posted on: 2006/4/18 5:18

From Orange, VA (U.S.A.)
Group:
Registered Users
Hmm... I've heard theory #6, but how would Captain Smith be rescued without the press finding out? If it were true, that would've meant that Captain Smith was in hiding (not saying that he would, though). You've got to remember that he had a family, and if he tried to contact them, the news media would've known about it. Was it a mistaken identity? Most likely. I just don't see a sceneable person not contacting their family, after a disaster like the Titanic, and letting them know that they're ok.

Posted on: 2006/4/18 7:57
  •  Rubaiyat
      Rubaiyat

From United Kingdom, Somerset
Group:
Registered Users
hi,

i have herd that captain smith jumped into the ocean to save a baby? But this mite be a Myth im not sure. I think he went into the Bridge, locked himself in the cabin and Like gentleman went down with the ship.

Leanne
Posted on: 2006/4/19 12:26

From Delaware, United States
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rip1912 wrote:
Hmm... I've heard theory #6, but how would Captain Smith be rescued without the press finding out? If it were true, that would've meant that Captain Smith was in hiding (not saying that he would, though). You've got to remember that he had a family, and if he tried to contact them, the news media would've known about it. Was it a mistaken identity? Most likely. I just don't see a sceneable person not contacting their family, after a disaster like the Titanic, and letting them know that they're ok.

Yeah, thats what I thought when I first read the story about that. It sounds to me like old Pyral was actually not sane... Maybe he dreamt the entire thing.. Who knows. But yeah, I mean if Smith did somehow escape and make it to a ship, weather it was the Carpathia or not, somebody would have told. A story like that couldn't have been kept shut.
Posted on: 2006/4/19 16:10
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.