Re: To Mr_smith77706

From
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

numbthepain wrote:
Quote:

lilcandycane wrote:
making a profit from people's terrible death..how sad that you think that would be cool

Did i say it was cool? retard

you may not have used the word cool...but it was implied. And we can do with out name calling
Posted on: 2006/10/18 15:11
Create PDF from Post Print

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
You would have to persuade a bunch of investor's to do this, and rich white men aren't famous for there spontenous splurge's. Unless Bill gate's or more likely paul allan want to, no one man (or woman) could finance this. Such a thing would need to make money, the novelty of a ship looking like Titanic would wear off after a while, and if it wasnt doing well then it would get binned. Shipping is now as popular as it was back in the old day's, but where as back then the ship was the transport to the destination only (appart from 1st class) now a day's the ship in it's self is the destination. Titanic doesn't really fit into that kind of market, yes the interior's are stunning, but again, novelty would wear off and the investor's would find them self's out of pocket, abandoning the prodject, and the Titanic 2's futre would be in doubt.

To much of a rish to think LOT's and LOT's of people would go on this thing, and the way the world is atm, knowone want's to take the risk. Atleast knowone with the money does.
Posted on: 2006/10/18 23:25
  •  numbthepain
      numbthepain

From East Dublin, Georgia
Group:
Registered Users
If they could afford a titanic back in 1912, why cant they now? not being sarcastic or anything, just asking. it would probly be 10 times cheaper to make a titanic 2 now days than it would to make a modern day ship. It just seems like a no brainer idea. I dont know why cunard line or any big shipping companies havent already done this. I have this feeling that in my life time, no time soon probly, there will be a titanic 2. It definatly will not be called titanic 2, but it will probly be an exact replica with just a different name. Cant really argue about it i mean who knows what will happen 50 years from now. Nothing to do but sit back at see what the future brings us.
Posted on: 2006/10/19 2:56
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
numbthepain wrote: If they could afford a titanic back in 1912, why cant they now? not being sarcastic or anything, just asking. it would probly be 10 times cheaper to make a titanic 2 now days than it would to make a modern day ship. It just seems like a no brainer idea. I dont know why cunard line or any big shipping companies havent already done this. I have this feeling that in my life time, no time soon probly, there will be a titanic 2. It definatly will not be called titanic 2, but it will probly be an exact replica with just a different name. Cant really argue about it i mean who knows what will happen 50 years from now. Nothing to do but sit back at see what the future brings us.

Yeah, it sounds simple enough, but we have to remember, that people who would spend a huge amount of money to travel on the new Titanic would not be happy with some of the accomidations that the original Titanic had.

For example, there are not many passengers traveling first class that would go on a ship without air conditioning.

Another example is that Titanic did not have bathrooms for every stateroom, even in first class. Show me a person with money who wants to share a bathroom with other passengers.

About 5 years ago, Popular Mechanics magazine came out with an aritcle that had a design for the new Titanic. It had enough lifeboats for everyone (of course), it also had an air conditioning plant, new diesel engines (not coal), bow and stern thrusters for manuevering, a bolbus bow for less drag, and all the latest navigation and safety equipment, and so forth. Some parts of the ship did not meet safety standards of today, including flammable materials in the interiors.

What I am getting at is that it probably would not be cost effective to make a ship like Titanic again because of the cost it would take to re-construct a ship of that specification and bring its safety regulations up to code. I mean, just look at the cost of building the set replica for the new movie. And that did not even move!

The owners of the new Titanic would have to probably charge a large amount of money (probably more than a modern ocean liner like the QM2) for people to sail on it.

That is one of the reasons of the greater size in ocean liners today. The more people they can carry, the more money they raise (lots more than Titanics 1000 plus passengers)

But who knows, it could still happen!
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

www.mrmarshall.proboards62.com
Posted on: 2006/10/19 3:34

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
Plus the fact a replica of Titanic would be dwarfed by the quenn mary 2, and the new queen victoria. Plus there's ton's of cruise vessel's these days which are bigger than the famous Titanic. In 1912 the ship cost around $110 million in today' money. Compareable to the Queen maryn 2 which cost well in excess of $800 million, I see your point about how it would be easily afordable. But this goes back to my last post, the market is completley different today, and Titanic as it is does not fit in it. Building a new one would need imence safety upgrade's and no doubt it would need to be bigger than the original, my guess would be pushing 1000 feet to keep it respectable. Then all the modern upgrades would then filter in till eventually you end up with a vessel which only share's it's name with the original Titanic.

In all honesty if you really want a new Titanic, I am afraid such a thing would only resemble the original. A modern interpritation of the original. E.g the grand stair case would need huge change's to accomodate now. The film's stair case was actually bigger than the originals because it was far to small. Compare it to the qm2, large and spacious, Titanic was very clostraphobic in places.

So to be honest I think a Titanic die hard replica is unlikely, but, perhaps cunard or someone will consider a Titanic (LIKE) ship to add to their fleet.

But what MGY Friend says here is very true

'That is one of the reasons of the greater size in ocean liners today. The more people they can carry, the more money they raise (lots more than Titanics 1000 plus passengers)'

Original Titanic was an immigrant registered vessel, that is where the cash came from, the 1st class just gave them the name sake of grandest ocean liner afloat. For most of the people who traveled on it they would never experience such grandure. IF they made it again, she would need to be completley fited in 1st class style, who wants to ride 3rd class.......Anyone? SO if that was the case, adding bath rooms and what have you, she could only take about 1200 people. Plus cinema's arcade's and al the other stuff u see on these floating hotels would bring that down further.

It's a nice idea though, but would need some very clever marketing and management.
Posted on: 2006/10/19 16:15
  •  numbthepain
      numbthepain

From East Dublin, Georgia
Group:
Registered Users
Yea, i understand where you two are coming from. But they could at least make a ship that resembled the titanic on the outside. The titanic was the sharpest ship ever ! The ships today are ugly if you ask me. Titanic actually looked good.
Posted on: 2006/10/20 4:54
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
numbthepain wrote:

Yea, i understand where you two are coming from. But they could at least make a ship that resembled the titanic on the outside. The titanic was the sharpest ship ever ! The ships today are ugly if you ask me. Titanic actually looked good.

I agree. As big and as magnificent as the Queen Mary 2 is, she just does not have the "soul" of Titanic, Olympic, Mauretania, Aquitania and so on. I think it also has to do with their place in history, its their society that made them. And now that society is long gone.

To me the great liners of the early 20th century are the most beautiful pieces of art on the planet, and I think they should get that recognition just as much as the Mona Lisa or Cisstine Chapel.

Heck, Michelangelo's artwork could not even move! Our favorite art could go up to 25 miles per hour!
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

www.mrmarshall.proboards62.com
Posted on: 2006/10/20 14:42

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
Understandable, however the paying customer's on these ship's are onboard, in which case it is all about the interior, the exterior styling doesnt really matter, so long as it is not UGLY!
Posted on: 2006/10/20 16:15
  •  h2oclub
      h2oclub

From British Columbia, Canada
Group:
Registered Users
I must agree with me mate Martyn. Modern ocean liners are all about the interior luxory. Not much thought has gone into the outside. These modern ships alough not totally ugly. are a far cry from their realitives of the past. Lets face it its all about money and how much can be made right.
Posted on: 2006/11/10 6:27
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
if they wanted to build a new titanic it cost more than the original ship cost it costa arouid the 800 millon mark which i a lot and the only person i think who back that much is bill gates
Posted on: 2006/12/19 11:53
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.