Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  3 Votes
  •  annie242
      annie242
Re: kate winslet

From UK
Group:
Registered Users
I saw The Life of David Gale a while ago and thought it was very good although I didn't really get the ending! Kate Winslet is a fantastic actress and it shows in every single one of her films. I especially loved her peformances in Titanic and Finding Neverland. Seeing as Johnny Depp, Kate winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio are my three favourite actors I suppose this is hardly suprising! What I really want though, is to see a film with all three of them in! Doesn't anyone feel the same?
Posted on: 2005/4/2 19:17
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  edward9139
      edward9139

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
actually... kate winslet is an actress. not an actor. and i really don't like any of them so i wouldn't care whether they were in the same movie or not. now ray romano, will smith, robert dinero, and eddie murphy would be pretty funny.
Posted on: 2005/4/4 20:00
  •  clinton
      clinton

From London UK
Group:
Registered Users
dear annie242,

Another good one to watch is "what's eating Gilbert Grape" which stars two of your favourite actors: Johnny Depp and Leonardo DiCaprio. DiCaprio was nominated for an Oscar for his role in this movie. He plays the mentally handicaped brother of Johnny Depp's caracter called Gilbert. Very good movie.
Posted on: 2005/4/5 7:58
  •  edward9139
      edward9139

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
did that movie go in theaters worldwide?
Posted on: 2005/4/6 19:52
  •  clinton
      clinton

From London UK
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not 100% sure on that question's answer. Maybe someone reading this discussion can elaborate. However I do know that it is a sad story of a family going through some tough times. But the movie has alot of funny moments too. It centers aroung Gilbert Grape played by Johhny Depp. He's the oldest of four children. His father has committed suicide and he is left with allot of responsibility regarding keeping his family together and looking after his mentally disabled brother (Dicaprio's character). His mother is about as big as a London bus (seriously big) and is the laugh of the town. Gilbert however has fallen in love and is weighing his own future against what's best for his family. It is a poignient story full of emotion and humour. Worth watching if you get the chance. It also gained an Oscar nomination for DiCaprio's acting abilities. I truely thought they paid a mentally disabled actor at the time I saw it for the first time. This was before DiCaprio was well known.
Posted on: 2005/4/7 11:33
  •  edward9139
      edward9139

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
i am sam is kind of like that. have you ever seen that movie?
Posted on: 2005/4/7 12:14
  •  clinton
      clinton

From London UK
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, exactly. The only difference in "What's eating Gilbert Grape" is that it had a wider emotional scope. You really feel for Gilbert because of the "choice-dilemma" he is in. One keeps on asking oneself (while watching the movie) "What would I have done if I were Gilbert?" And the hard part of the story is that there are no easy choices for Gilbert. To tell you more would be like giving the rest of the story away. My advise is to give the film a chance. You should be able to find it in any good rental store.

What's Eating Gilbert Grape
Originally released: 1993

Back when Lasse Hallstrom was good, he made this attractive and convincing portrait of the lives of an offbeat American family. Perhaps coming from Sweden, Hallstrom had the ability to see Americans as they couldn’t see themselves. Depp and DiCaprio are misfit brothers whose mother is so fat she hasn't left the house for years. Depp spends all his time caring for his family, especially his younger brother (DiCaprio gives an amazing performance as this mentally-disturbed boy) until he meets Lewis, the equally offbeat new girl in town. Lighter than Bergman, but not as gooey as Chocolat.
Posted on: 2005/4/7 12:59
  •  edward9139
      edward9139

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
is it out in movie gallery? i'll have to think about renting it. do you think it's a movie that i would like? i'm only 12
Posted on: 2005/4/7 20:40
  •  clinton
      clinton

From London UK
Group:
Registered Users
Difficult to say. If you watch films to appreciate the actors' performances then it will be worth watching. Because DiCaprio is brilliant as the mentally handicapt boy. If you like watching films based on subject matter then maybe this one might be something you may not yet relate to. All I can say is it's a great story and it is well acted as well. If you feel some level of simpathy for Gilbert within the first 15-20 minutes then you will enjoy this movie. It is not a cry-your-eyes-out movie. I guess it shows that you don't have to be a "comicbook-superhero" to do exceptional things in real life. Gilbert for example will rather help his mother (by giving his disabled brother a bath) than meet up with friends and do normal things. The problem comes in when Gilbert meets a girl and wants to start doing things for himself rather than for the greater-good of his family. Worth watching if you appreciate this sort of conundrum. It's rather touching in a light-hearted sort of way. DiCaprio's ability is worth watching this movie at the very least.
Posted on: 2005/4/8 8:31
  •  edward9139
      edward9139

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
i rented it last night. it doesn't sound bad so i hope i'll like it.
Posted on: 2005/4/9 11:22
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.