Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  14 Votes
  •  Captain_Jack
      Captain_Jack
Re: Ask me anything about Titanic!!!!!

From
Group:
Registered Users
oh hell! look what i started. OK kiddies you all get a pink star when you finish your afternoon naptime.

Some that dreadful back on April 14, 1912 gave up the chance for a seat in a lifeboat and to go down as a gentleman. However researchers have determined that Bayer asprin was not available without perscription till 1915 and the men didn't want to hear the children screaming!
Posted on: 2005/4/28 16:43
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Johno
      Johno

From Scotland
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not allowed naptime in my school
Posted on: 2005/4/28 17:31
  •  TitanicExprt
      TitanicExprt

From In front of my computer in the United States of America
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

edward9139 wrote:
Captain Jack has a more detailed description. i'm sure he didn't just grab those out of the air. I THINK WE'RE ON TO A PHONY!!!!

I was rounding.Besides according to what I have found out it said about 2,000.So when he said the # that he did I just rounded.
Humankind cannot obtain anything without first giving something in return.To obtain something of equal value must be lost.That is Alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.FMA
Posted on: 2005/4/29 0:28

From Manchester England
Group:
Registered Users
oh what the hell well let ya off this once but next time give the propper answer or ask captainjack for some help
Posted on: 2005/4/29 1:59
  •  edward9139
      edward9139

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
yipee. i feel special.we don't have naptime at our school though .
i could use it more days than not
Posted on: 2005/4/29 11:17
  •  Captain_Jack
      Captain_Jack
Re: Ask me anything about Titanic!!!!! TID

From
Group:
Registered Users
I started a new thread related to "Ask me about Titanic" since this thread is deteriorating. TID
Posted on: 2005/4/29 15:38
  •  Sealord
      Sealord

From
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sealord wrote:
Hello. I'm watching the movie "A Night To Remember" and got inspired to search the internet for information about the disaster. I found this forum and joined.

I was wondering just how many empty seats were in the lifeboats that were able to launch. Does anyone know?

Looks like I will have to answer my own question. When I posted it, I did not know the answer. However, my subsequent internet research revealed that there were approximately 500 empty seats total in the 18 lifeboats that were lowered.

I was also surprised to learn that in calm seas, it is possible to exceed the capacity of a lifeboat by about 15%. And my research indicates the seas where calm where and when the Titanic sank.

Sad to say, some of the crew that manned the lifeboats allowed them to be under capacity for fear of breaking in half when lowered. This proved to be unfounded in tests that were performed during the investigation afterwards.
Posted on: 2005/5/5 19:08
  •  Captain_Jack
      Captain_Jack

From
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sealord wrote:
Quote:

Sealord wrote:
Hello. I'm watching the movie "A Night To Remember" and got inspired to search the internet for information about the disaster. I found this forum and joined.

I was wondering just how many empty seats were in the lifeboats that were able to launch. Does anyone know?

Looks like I will have to answer my own question. When I posted it, I did not know the answer. However, my subsequent internet research revealed that there were approximately 500 empty seats total in the 18 lifeboats that were lowered.

I was also surprised to learn that in calm seas, it is possible to exceed the capacity of a lifeboat by about 15%. And my research indicates the seas where calm where and when the Titanic sank.

Sad to say, some of the crew that manned the lifeboats allowed them to be under capacity for fear of breaking in half when lowered. This proved to be unfounded in tests that were performed during the investigation afterwards.

Now you need not wonder, knowledge is wonderful to obtain.

Titanic carried 20 lifeboats, enough for 1178 people. The boat was designed to carry 32 lifeboats but this number was reduced to 20 because it was felt that the deck would be too cluttered.

Titanic also carried 3500 lifebelts and 48 life rings; Useless in the icy water. The majority of passengers that went into the sea did not drown, but froze to death. 30 people survived the disaster by standing on the upturned boat.

* 14 wood lifeboats each 30'0" long by 9'1" by 4'0" deep with a capacity of 65 persons each.
* 2 wood cutter 25'2" long by 7'2" by 3'0" deep with a capacity of 40 persons each.
* 4 Englehardt collapsibles boats 27'5" long by 8'0" by 3'0" deep with a capacity of 40 persons each.

All lifeboats were fitted with Murrays disengaging gear to simultaneously free both ends. The lifeboats were stowed on hinged wood chocks on the top Deck.

Lifeboat 1 carried 12 peole
Lifeboat 2 carried 17 ppl.
Lifeboat 3 'carried 31
Lifeboat 4 carried 37
Lifeboat 5 carried 33
Lifeboat 6 carried 23
Lifeboat 7 carried 26
Lifeboat 8 carried 27
Lifeboat 9 carried 31
Lifeboat 10 carried 30
Lifeboat 11 carried 35
Lifeboat 12 carried 19
Lifeboat 13 carried 47
Lifeboat 14 carried 39
Lifeboat 15 carried 43
Lifeboat 16 carried 28
Collapsible A carried 13
Collapsible B carried 15
Collapsible C carried 42
Collapsible D carried 22
Posted on: 2005/5/6 0:38
  •  Sealord
      Sealord

From
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks Captain_Jack for all of that detailed information about the lifeboats. Taken into account my answer along with the info you supplied, it seems that the number of survivors would have doubled if all of the lifeboats had been filled to capacity.

Another question just popped into my head. It might seem morbid for some of you, but here it goes. Where there any reports of shark attacks amongst the people in the water?

At first I thought maybe sharks prefer warmer waters. But according to sharks, they can found in all temperatures of water.
Posted on: 2005/5/6 16:06
  •  Captain_Jack
      Captain_Jack

From
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sealord wrote:
Thanks Captain_Jack for all of that detailed information about the lifeboats. Taken into account my answer along with the info you supplied, it seems that the number of survivors would have doubled if all of the lifeboats had been filled to capacity.

Another question just popped into my head. It might seem morbid for some of you, but here it goes. Where there any reports of shark attacks amongst the people in the water?

At first I thought maybe sharks prefer warmer waters. But according to sharks, they can found in all temperatures of water.

While shark diversity and abundance are generally greatest in warmer waters, a few species regularly inhabit cold waters within the Arctic Circle. Of some 465 known shark species, I know of only eight that have been recorded from the Arctic. These are: the Blue Shark (Prionace glauca), Porbeagle (Lamna nasus) and Salmon Shark (Lamna ditropis), Basking Shark (Cetorhinus maximus), Bluntnose Sixgill (Hexanchus griseus), Spiny Dogfish (Squalus acanthias), Pacific Sleeper (Somniosus pacificus) and the Greenland Shark (Somniosus microcephalus).
Posted on: 2005/5/6 21:40
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.