Main Menu
Recent News
Latest Articles
Random photos

Titanic.com - Titanic News, Photos, Articles & Research | Forum Index
   Titanic historic
  Why didn't the crew see the iceberg sooner?

Browsing this Thread:   162 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

•  Rate Thread
      Rate this Thread
      Excellent
      Good
      Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  1 Votes
Re: Why didn't the crew see the iceberg sooner?

From
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

clinton wrote:
Because they left the binoculars and extra lifeboats ashore.

Hello,

There's no evidence that the binoculars were left ashore, and in any case my post above indicates some of the debate around the binoculars. There's much to question, and consider whether that debate is a 'red herring.' As for extra lifeboats, why would there be any additional lifeboats ashore prior to the disaster, when the requirement for additional lifeboat capacity was not apparent?

Best wishes,

Mark.
Posted on: 2005/5/11 13:38
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Captain_Jack
      Captain_Jack

From
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mark Chirnside wrote:
Quote:

clinton wrote:
Because they left the binoculars and extra lifeboats ashore.

Hello,

There's no evidence that the binoculars were left ashore, and in any case my post above indicates some of the debate around the binoculars. There's much to question, and consider whether that debate is a 'red herring.' As for extra lifeboats, why would there be any additional lifeboats ashore prior to the disaster, when the requirement for additional lifeboat capacity was not apparent?

Best wishes,

Mark.

All the binoculars and lifevests in the world would not have saved the Titanic. Nobody will ever know for sure why the iceburg was not spotted earlier. Chances are the berg was nothing more than a growler and it could not have been seen till they were right on it. It's really a dead subject "why". If they had the binoculars would they have used them, were the lookouts engaged in conversation or even not paying attention at all! I have been on the Mississippi when ice flows break up and even on smaller water its easy to overlook ice flows 5 feet tall in darkness. Faith decided Titanic would sink and by God she did. Don't tempt God by declairing that "God himself can't sink that ship".
Posted on: 2005/5/11 17:53

From Essex
Group:
Registered Users
personally I think someone stole the binoculars.
Just image to yourself, if they dident leave em behind and/maby/or they wasent stolen. Titanic mite even still be around to this day.
Posted on: 2005/5/12 10:19

From
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Jeffro wrote:
personally I think someone stole the binoculars.
Just image to yourself, if they dident leave em behind and/maby/or they wasent stolen. Titanic mite even still be around to this day.

Hello,

Why do you believe that someone stole the binoculars?

With regards to the sighting of the iceberg, as I've said, binoculars are more useful for identifying distant objects than scanning the horizon and spotting objects.

Best wishes,

Mark.
Posted on: 2005/5/12 12:08

From Essex
Group:
Registered Users
well also take into account that it was nearly the middle of the night when they saw the Iceburg so it would have been hard to see from a distance. in the end they did see it dident they but it was just too late.
Posted on: 2005/5/12 12:20

From
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Jeffro wrote:
well also take into account that it was nearly the middle of the night when they saw the Iceburg so it would have been hard to see from a distance. in the end they did see it dident they but it was just too late.

Hello,

I'm not commenting on the nature of the iceberg debate -- the question surrounding the sighting of the iceberg, and whether it could have been seen sooner, has always generated a detailed dicussion. All I am asking here is why you believe the binoculars had been 'stolen'?

Best wishes,

Mark.
Posted on: 2005/5/12 13:18
  •  edward9139
      edward9139

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
well...that's a tricky one. i personally don't think they were stolen but wnder why there wasn't an extra pair aboard the ship. that strikes me as odd that a ship so luxurious wouldn't bring an extra pair of binoculars...
Posted on: 2005/5/13 10:20

From
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

edward9139 wrote:
well...that's a tricky one. i personally don't think they were stolen but wnder why there wasn't an extra pair aboard the ship. that strikes me as odd that a ship so luxurious wouldn't bring an extra pair of binoculars...

Hello,

That's a key point -- no-one's presented any evidence that they were 'stolen.' Indeed, why would they be stolen?

With regard to a 'spare pair,' there is some evidence that the binoculars were onboard but that officers such as Lightoller did not know their whereabouts. It's not an area I've researched in detail, but there's a lot of testimony that can be found on the subject in the transcripts of Lord Mersey's investigation.

Best wishes,

Mark.
Posted on: 2005/5/13 10:36
  •  edward9139
      edward9139

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
jeeze. they really didn't think she would sink did they? man. if they had been prepaired then they should've known she could possibly sink. Smith should hav known that there is always a possibility of her sinking
Posted on: 2005/5/13 10:43

From
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

edward9139 wrote:
jeeze. they really didn't think she would sink did they? man. if they had been prepaired then they should've known she could possibly sink. Smith should hav known that there is always a possibility of her sinking

Hello,

I think as a mariner that Smith was well aware that any ship could sink, even if he might have been overconfident in the ability of the Titanic to survive serious damage. George Behe's website is interesting in this regard.

However, this is a red herring in my opinion: even if a ship was unsinkable, you don't want to damage the ship anyway. After all, you can't carry fare-paying passengers and earn money while a ship is in drydock having her hull repaired. And earning money is the whole point of building a commercial ship.

Best wishes,

Mark.
Posted on: 2005/5/13 10:56
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.