Main Menu
Recent News
Latest Articles
Random photos

Titanic.com - Titanic News, Photos, Articles & Research | Forum Index
   Titanic news
  If You Could Dive Down To One Ship (Apart From Titanic) Which Would It Be?

Browsing this Thread:   41 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

•  Rate Thread
      Rate this Thread
      Excellent
      Good
      Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  2 Votes
  •  LeoPlumtree
      LeoPlumtree
Re: If You Could Dive Down To One Ship (Apart From Titanic) Which Would It Be?

From
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

edward9139 wrote:
I saw something the other day on Discovery. there's an island called Bikini somewhere in the Bahamas, I think, but anyways... you can go diving there. the US took, like, a whole bunch or German ships and stuck em in one spot in the water. they tested an atom bomb on them. as you can guess. they're now sitting on the ocean floor. it's only a couple hundred feet, I think. it's amzaing, some of the things that the divers could see. WWII cannons, WWII ships, etc. that's where I'd go

Ya must be referrin' to Bikini Atoll, which is in the Pacific, not the Bahamas.

You're right; a number of nuclear and thermonuclear tests were conducted there in the '40s and '50s, and lots of surrendered and obsolete ships were sunk there. The one I really want to check out is Prinz Eugen, the only major German surface unit to survive WWII. It also survived two atom bomb tests at Bikini, then was towed to another atoll were it eventually capsized. Part of the wreck is above water.
Posted on: 2005/6/25 19:57
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  TitanicExprt
      TitanicExprt

From In front of my computer in the United States of America
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

edward9139 wrote:
when I went down to D.C. I used about 30 pics or so on guns. Revolutionary War guns, Civil War guns, WWI guns, WWII guns, Korean War guns, Vietnam Guns, and some new guns. plus swords and cannons. I also took a pic of the gallows in Williamsburg.

Humankind cannot obtain anything without first giving something in return.To obtain something of equal value must be lost.That is Alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.FMA
Posted on: 2005/6/25 21:02

From
Group:
Registered Users
For those that wished to dive to the Empress of Ireland, [url=www.nauticalresearch.com]Nautical Research Group, Inc.[/url] will be diving this wrecksite from July 27th to July 3rd. They will be reporting LIVE from the dive site during this period of time and will place these reports on their [url=http://shipwreck.blogs.com]Shipwrecks - Time Capsules of Human Civilization[/url] weblog. The reports will include textual history, dive logs and video of the wreck site. Following this dive expedition, they will be packing up and leaving for the Titanic dive site from July 6th to July 18th. I look forward to your comments and suggestions!
Posted on: 2005/6/25 21:46

From Crooksville,Ohio and Zanesville,Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
Brittanic.
Posted on: 2005/8/28 20:20
  •  hendrick
      hendrick

From Georgia, U.S.
Group:
Registered Users
Cold water wrecks are said to be better preserved as time capsules of their era in history.
I think the name of the ship was the Endurance. If I remember correctly, she was crushed in an ice pack and sank
while Ernest Shackelton was exploring one of the poles. I haven't heard of any dives to the wreck, but aside from hull
fractures I would expect much paint, decking, rigging and personal effects to be present.
Posted on: 2006/4/2 11:58

From Orange, VA (U.S.A.)
Group:
Registered Users
Wow! That's a tough one. Every wreck has a different "personality" (wish I could think of a better word), and each wreck has a tale to tell. If you mean warships, It's a 3 way tie between the USS Arizona (yeah. I know it's an "off limits" wreck, but it would still be cool to see it from a fish's point of view), Battleship Hood (the victim), and Battleship Bismarck (the attacker).

If it's ocean liners you're talking about, then Britannic is at the top of my list. I think it'd be cool to see a nearly intact version of the Titanic, at a depth that's not out of a diver's reach.
Posted on: 2006/4/4 1:33
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.