Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
school reaserch on technology
Guest_Anonymous
i need to do a proyect on the type of radar that the titanic has...please help asap
Posted on: 2003/8/21 1:31
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
No radar
Guest_Anonymous
Hello,

I don't think they ever had a radar at that time. Not for titanic, That's why they had a crows nest which was ineffeicient.
Posted on: 2003/8/22 16:38
  •  Will
      Will

From
Group:
Registered Users
This may be a bit late to help with the school research, however, the first RADAR was invented just prior to World War II. The first successful radio range finding experiment occurred in 1924. The British physicist Sir Edward Victor Appleton used radio echos to determine the heighth of the ionosphere, an ionized layer of the upper atmosphere that reflects longer radio waves. The first [i:d07380a9a0]practical[/i:d07380a9a0] radar system was produced in 1935 by British physicist Sir Robert Watson-Watt, and by 1939 England had established a chain of radar stations along the east and south coasts to detect aggressors in the air or on the sea.
Sound Navigation and Ranging equipment or SONAR was first invented by Brithish, American and French scientist during World War I, and was used to locate submarines and icebergs and were called ASDICS (Anti-Submarine Detection Investigation Comittee) in Britain. The first known sinking of a submarine, detected by hydrophone was the German U-Boat, UC-3, on 23 April 1916, in the Atlantic during World War I. I hope this helps clear up why Titanic had neither RADAR nor SONAR to aid them in their crossing. It just wasn't available.
Will
Posted on: 2003/9/24 17:23
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.