•  coolguy
      coolguy
Re: DID CAPTIN SMITH DIE ON TITANIC

From MY COMPUTER
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

that1spaz wrote:
yes, captain smith died with his ship. as did mr. andrews, the ship's builder. and it makes me mad that mr. ismay, who owned the white star line, didnt.... Quote:
i agree it makes me mad that he survived cause he should have gone down with titanic i guess he thought since he was the owner of the white star line and cause he saved people he thought he could survived witch makes me really mad
Posted on: 2005/6/4 10:09
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  coolguy
      coolguy

From MY COMPUTER
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DAN14526 wrote:
DOES ANY ONE KNOW IF CAPTIN SMITH DIE ON TITANIC
i think he did but i read somewhere that about a month after the sinking someone [not a surviver] reported seeing captan smith! he went to a psyciotrist and was reported sane! he was also a man who never made up storys!
Posted on: 2005/6/4 10:17

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TippooTib wrote:
>some people say he died in the bridge, like how the 97 film portraid, ...
> one or two people said that when the expansion joint colapsed that >caused funnel 1 to fall over,

Could you kindly let us know which survivors made these two claims? (I'm not aware of any who did so.) Thanks very much.

preety sure lightaller (am not sure how you spell his name) he said that because he was literally inches away from funnel 1 as it fell, and he mentioned colapse of expansion joints. There is evidence of this on the wreck. As for smith's death, pretty much anyone who was near that area of the ship that was looking said he went in there, but remember these people are a bit more pre-occupied with saving there lifes than to remember someones actions, which is why I never read to much into them.

good, day
Posted on: 2005/6/4 14:55
  •  TippooTib
      TippooTib

From
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks very much for your reply.

>preety sure lightaller (am not sure how you spell his name) he said >that because he was literally inches away from funnel 1 as it fell,

Although it's true that Lightoller was near the falling funnel, I'm afraid he never mentioned seeing Captain Smith killed by the funnel. (Neither did any other survivor with whom I'm familiar.)

>As for smith's death, pretty much anyone who was near that area >of the ship that was looking said he went in there,

I'm afraid that isn't true, though. Mrs. Harris was the last person who saw Captain Smith on the bridge, but she never claimed that he (and Dr. O'Loughlin and Major Butt) stayed there. In any case, Harold Bride saw Smith elsewhere a short time later.

Unless someone can quote a *specific* survivor account that mentions Smith going into the wheelhouse at the very end, I'm afraid it'll remain just another unsubstantiated claim that historians won't feel the need to pay much attention to.

In any case, thanks again for your reply.
Posted on: 2005/6/4 20:39

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
I'll have a look for you all but am certain that was said, though it conflicted with a lot of other peoples counts, which is why it sticks in my mind. I never know when to believe an eye whiteness account, fireman Hendricks I think it was said that he saw water pouring into the fireman passage, I wouldn’t speculate that the iceberg penetrated the double bottom of Titanic, so therefore the ship must have ridden upon the ice-berg, and again not many people would agree with that.
Posted on: 2005/6/4 21:26
  •  Lights
      Lights

From
Group:
Registered Users
I think it is pretty safe to say Capt. Smith died aboard or near the TITANIC. We will never know the true place and manner of his death. Stories exist in the Great Lakes area that he lived another few years captaining freighters, but beside the fact that he almost certainly died in the TITANIC sinking, I can't see him captaining a freighter!
Posted on: 2006/6/10 4:06
  •  lintu
      lintu

From
Group:
Registered Users
Captain E. J. Smith's body was never found but he was last seen in a state of shock on the bridge of Titanic. One would be led to believe that those who were trying to survive mostly died once the lifeboats had all gone so someone in shock would have less chance. There is no way the Captain would've got a place in a lifeboat and only six were pulled from the Atlantic, if one of these had been the Captain there would be definite record.
hi i'm lucy and i became interested in titanic when the james cameron film came out. i am 19 now so know doubt i had a big crush on leonardo dicaprio. i am from liverpool, england so i spent a lot of my time as a youngster down at the docks so i have always had a natural interest in boats. since seeing the film i have been the most interested in the titanic and the controversies surrounding it my favourite being her alleged swap with her sister ship olympic.LINTU
Posted on: 2006/6/20 23:50
  •  TippooTib
      TippooTib

From
Group:
Registered Users
Salaam, lintu.

>Captain E. J. Smith's body was never found but he was last seen in >a state of shock on the bridge of Titanic.

Rene Harris was the last person to see Smith on the bridge, but he was definitely not in a "state of shock." Harold Bride wrote a letter to the Marconi Company saying that he saw Smith leap from the bridge into the sea -- but he said nothing about Smith being in a state of shock when he left the ship.

I'd be grateful if you or someone else could provide us with some primary documentation to back up the spurious claim that Smith was in a state of shock. (Everyone seems to repeat that claim without having any idea where it originated; it originated with author Dan Butler and is simply mistaken.)

Achmet
Posted on: 2006/6/21 9:54
  •  TippooTib
      TippooTib

From
Group:
Registered Users
Salaam, Lintu.

I'm sorry that I forgot to welcome you to this bulletin board -- I hope you'll have a great time here and will enjoy participating in the discussions.

Sincerely,

Achmet
Posted on: 2006/6/21 18:24
  •  Titanic King
      Titanic King

From Remyxxx777
Group:
Registered Users
I think Captain Smith died on the Titanic. We will never know because if he did go down with the ship his bones would probably be gone or deep in the ocean floor.

When you have nothing, you have nothing to lose
-Jack Dawson
Posted on: 2006/7/5 7:43
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.