Good
      Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  22 Votes
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Stuff like this is very sensitive, i do not think that fox pictures really wanted to match those names even loosly. But what i've read they did base it loosly so i am not really sure as to why they didn't stick to the convention.

It can be that they are not alive any more, but then the family of the name can still get upset some how i think.
Posted on: 2004/3/4 0:38
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
It's even stranger considering he still has family living - in Dublin I think - and the movies are [i:5c941f3fab]really[/i:5c941f3fab] careful about that kind of thing, as families have been known to sue. But I think that there was so much difference between the fictional itinerant artist and the real carpenter it didn't occur to the family that people would think they were the same person.
Posted on: 2004/3/4 15:31
  •  Betty
      Betty

From Albany, New York
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, we all seem to have found out something different about J. Dawson. I found this:
The real J. Dawson buried at Fairview Cemetery was James Dawson, a 23 year old native of Dublin Ireland. He was sandy-haired and had a moustach. He was hired on as one of about twenty coal trimmers, one of the lowliest jobs on the ship. When his body was found intact he was dressed in the coal-stained denim coat and pants that marked his place in the ship. His grave is one of the most visited and decorated of the Titanic graves in Halifax.
Posted on: 2004/3/4 23:09
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
I wish I knew how to stick a pic up, I know of one. Anyone know?[/img]
Posted on: 2004/3/4 23:53
  •  titanic 4 ever
      titanic 4 ever

From
Group:
Registered Users
[quote:77a1c8786a="Betty"]Wow, we all seem to have found out something different about J. Dawson. I found this:
The real J. Dawson buried at Fairview Cemetery was James Dawson, a 23 year old native of Dublin Ireland. He was sandy-haired and had a moustach. He was hired on as one of about twenty coal trimmers, one of the lowliest jobs on the ship. When his body was found intact he was dressed in the coal-stained denim coat and pants that marked his place in the ship. His grave is one of the most visited and decorated of the Titanic graves in Halifax.[/quote:77a1c8786a]

I can't imagine why lol
Posted on: 2004/3/5 0:07
  •  emma726
      emma726

From
Group:
Registered Users
I read in a book my English teacher had that there actually was a Rose DeWitt Bukater and a Jack Dawson on the Titanic, but they never met :!:

Also there was a list of where passengers had signed their names342200246

There was a,
Rose DeWitt Bukater (or something very close to that)
Rose Dawson
Joseph Dawson (who could have had the nick-name 342200234Jack342200235 I don342200231t know why but it342200231s a possibility :? )
And a few other names that were close to these342200246

back then a lot of people probably had the same names as each other, so we might never know, unless we go back in time to ride on the Titanic, but then we would risk he possibility of dying in freezing water and... well you get the point.

but They probably mixed peoples names together to get the 342200230effect342200231 of the characters for the movie342200246 but anyway it was still a good movie. directors
Posted on: 2004/4/12 23:55
  •  Rosie1912
      Rosie1912

From
Group:
Registered Users
Your english teacher needs to get new, more accurate books... There was no Jack Dawson, Rose DeWitt Bukater (or Rose Calvert, Rose Dawson Calvert), Ruth DeWitt Bukater, Caledon Hockley, Trudy Bolt or Spicer Lovejoy on the real Titanic.

There are numerous passenger lists avalible for viewing online and not in any of them will you find any of those above mentioned names. You might find a Jack or a Ruth, but I've never seen a Rose, Trudy or Spicer during the times that I've ever looked up a passenger list. They were fictional, made up, did not exist on the real Titanic.

Cameron got some of the names from and/or the characters were based upon:

The name of the character Caledon Hockley derives from two small towns (Caledon and Hockley) near Orangeville, Ontario, Canada, where Cameron's aunt and uncle live.

Old Rose was modeled after 103-year old sculptress Beatrice Wood of Ojai California

When James Cameron was writing the movie, he intended for the main characters Rose DeWitt Bukater and Jack Dawson to be entirely fictitious. It was only after the script was finished that he discovered that there had been a real "J. Dawson" who died aboard the Titanic. This "J. Dawson" was trimmer Joseph Dawson, who had been born September 1888 in Dublin, Ireland. His body was salvaged and buried at Fairview Lawn cemetery in Nova Scotia with many other Titanic victims. Today, his grave stone (#227) is the most widely visited in the cemetery.

So in that list that your teacher had Joseph Dawson was the only REAL one...
Posted on: 2004/4/13 0:20
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Interesting, Rosie - I hadn't known that.

Wonderful what we can teach each other...
Posted on: 2004/4/13 1:17
  •  Jack_Dawson_Is_Hot
      Jack_Dawson_Is_Hot

From Vermont (the boring state)
Group:
Registered Users
I am sorry but i don't believe ne of u guys. there may have been a joseph dawson, but it wasn't the one that jack dawson was based on. there was a guy on titanic that jack was based on, but nobody knows nething about him, and they never will. They don't have ne evidence or nething about him, and like i said, THEY NEVER WILL!!! how could they have ne evidence? he sank to the bottom of the ocean, and even if they went down and got him the next day, if the woodeaters didn't eat him, than they still wouldn't cuz the germs would be washed off, or froze off or sumthin. So, why don't u ppl just get over your selves cuz u don't know everything! ok! i'm sorry if i'm offending ne1, but it's the truth. and who would believe the internet neway?!?!
Posted on: 2004/4/25 1:50
  •  Rosie1912
      Rosie1912

From
Group:
Registered Users
First off, we get our information from books and documentories. So might I suggest you start believing what is said here as majority of it is related to historical accuracy and knowledge. Majority of us here know our "stuff". And if you don't know something or need something answered then you can ask someone and chances are someone will know it. We don't try to out do each other on "who knows more" but we also don't appreciate people who ask questions and us give answers for someone to turn around and say "I don't believe you" when the majority of the forum is historically based.

Jack Dawson was completely FICTIONAL (not real, made up..). He was not based on anyone on the real Titanic. James Cameron had no idea when making the film that there was even a J. Dawson ON the Titanic. There might have been a man on the Titanic who fell in love with a 1st class woman (chances are highly unlikely as TTF has stated once that the classes were seperated and had a 3rd class person gone onto 1st class areas the ship could have been stuck in dock for quarentine... that post is somewhere on this board..)

I could be wrong but it seems to me that you have let the fictional part of the movie give you your "knowledge" and are taking that over what we say and what the internet says. Which again I will state, the information we have is from books written on the topic, same as things on the internet.

If you want to know where Jack Dawson's character originated from here's a bit of trivia:

Jack Dawson was loosely based on writer Jack London and on Jack Thayer, survivor of the Titanic. The name has nothing to do with the J. Dawson that was a stoker on the Titanic and is buried in Halifax. This was just a coincidence that was discovered AFTER the script was wrote.

Some quotes said by Jack are actually some quotes what passengers/crew stated. For example:

"Water that cold...it hits you like a thousand knives stabbing you all over your body" - this was actually a quote by Second Officer Lightoller, who survived the sinking.
Posted on: 2004/4/25 2:09
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.