Main Menu
Recent News
Latest Articles
Random photos

Titanic.com - Titanic News, Photos, Articles & Research | Forum Index
   Titanic Biographical research
  Would it be better if the Titanic hit the iceberg head on?

Browsing this Thread:   53 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

•  Rate Thread
      Rate this Thread
      Excellent
      Good
      Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  2 Votes
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Would it be better if the Titanic hit the iceberg head on?
Guest_Anonymous
Yes it would be better the Titanic would of maybe floated longer and then help could arrive.

Or the Titanic should've reduced speed or should've made speed faster so it could turn around or turn faster.
Posted on: 2005/11/10 0:09
Create PDF from Post Print
Re: Would it be better if the Titanic hit the iceberg head on?

From TITANIC'S DEEPERS
Group:
Registered Users
lol.. speed did not get reduced.. it took more time...

it stopped afther she hit with the ice berg.. lol
Posted on: 2005/11/10 4:13
  •  jarveytoast
      jarveytoast

From
Group:
Registered Users
The answer is "yes". If the ship had hit the iceberg head on, it was possible that it would not have sunk. By reversing the engines, there was not a clean sweep of water flowing past the propellars. This kept the ship from turning until it was too late. If they had slowed down and hit the ice burg head on, it could have been a different story. Watch A&E's Titanic documentary for a indepth explanation.
Posted on: 2006/2/2 17:35

From TITANIC'S DEEPERS
Group:
Registered Users
Yes . . . That is correct..

uhm.. you're a very knoleageable person..

There are a people on this site that I like to talk because of that..

Posted on: 2006/3/18 3:45
  •  jarveytoast
      jarveytoast

From
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks...........I enjoy talking to people who also have a good working knowledge of the disaster. It makes conversation a lot more fun. I think I've been obsessed with it since I was a kid. Hmmm.......
Posted on: 2006/3/19 15:17
  •  LeoPlumtree
      LeoPlumtree

From
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kristyfink1 wrote:
The answer is "yes". If the ship had hit the iceberg head on, it was possible that it would not have sunk.

A slight possibly, but the ship would've been utterly devastated with hundreds dead in the forward sections, even at reduced speed. Such a collision could very well've sank Titanic, as well. We really don't know.

Quote:

kristyfink1 wrote:
By reversing the engines, there was not a clean sweep of water flowing past the propellars. This kept the ship from turning until it was too late.

It's doubtful any of this made a real difference. For one thing, we're not entirely certain the engines were actually reversed prior to the collision. Some survivor testimony indicates that the engine room responded after the collision. Even if they did, how great an effect it would've made is also unclear. As the bow initially swung to port, the stern swung to starboard. Having slightly more time to make the turn, a grazing blow forward could've instead turned into a more direct impact further aft. If that would've been better or worse is hard to determine.
Posted on: 2006/3/19 21:31
  •  jarveytoast
      jarveytoast

From
Group:
Registered Users
True, there would have been damage to the bow if it had rammed the iceberg, although I'm not convinced that hundreds would have died as a result. I am just basing my response on the experts opinon (on video) who state that the Titianic reversed her engines before the collision. However, you are right, they were not there and we can not be 100% certain that the engines were reversed in attempts to slow the ship down. I do think that the Titanic did however, stand a better chance of surviving the impact had the ship hit the iceberg head on. Instead, the iceberg popped rivets and plates along nearly a third of the ship's length below the water line. There was no chance that the ship could survive such an impact (obviously).
Posted on: 2006/3/20 16:25
  •  Titanic705
      Titanic705

From Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
Group:
Registered Users
Would it have been possible if the Titanic had of hit the iceburg head on to have sunk a little bit and get grounded on the iceburg, pinning it in place. Just if you read anything with an iceburg in it it always tells you that you see only the tip of the iceburg, it can be hundreds of times bigger beneath the surface. Just a query that i have been wondering for a while
Posted on: 2006/3/22 21:04
  •  comando
      comando

From
Group:
Registered Users
IN fact the ship was recorded going 21 knots on all ahead full. Reversing engines at this speed means that the propellers cavitated. Cavitation is where air gets sucked in by the propellers causing a significant decrease in thrust or pull.So at 21 knots a ship that wweights about 45 thousand tons being ordered to reverse full will definately cavitate. The ship had 3 propellers not 2 not 1. 3 propellers, 1 main 2 auxillary or support propellers. The ship had a different engine for each prop (as do most cruisers) The main prop did not have a revers transmission. The 2 auxillary did. NOW then the 2 auxillary propellers were 2/3 the size of the main propeller. When the order went out for revese the main propeller stoped turning. In the order also said hard to port (left) witch means one auxillary propeller was to slow its reverse speed and let the other go full reverse. THE DESIGN FLAW---- the auxillary propellers where too small. When the props where thrown in reverse one was doing more work than the other witch made the ship tilt to the right a couple degrees and made the propeller doing full reverse cavitate. Witch in fact did not help the turning process at all. ANOTHER DESIGN FLAW---- was the rudder, it was simply too small for the ship (im not gonna get into details). heres a visual of whitch direction each propeller was pulling\pushing.
..............________________
..<-------|
.......... <| Stern of titanic
.... <-----|______________
...................................................................................... ####
................................................................................... . ##ice##

I have studied trust in seacraft and propulsion and ballistics in avaition for 8 years this is my best explination of what happened
Posted on: 2006/3/23 0:21
  •  jarveytoast
      jarveytoast

From
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting........however, if what you have stated is true, in your opinion, would the ship have survived a head on collision with the iceberg?
Posted on: 2006/3/23 17:03
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.