Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread
Re: Breaking apart

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
I think the split happened at the 45degree angle.

The 1997 films depiction may well have been like it, but to my mind the ship didnt stick out as much as that, i think it was set lower in the water.
Posted on: 2005/11/23 21:36
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  GooseGrl172
      GooseGrl172

From Maryland
Group:
Registered Users
I'' have to agree with bell here. I think the stern spent a majority of the time at, or around a 45 degree angle since the stern would still have been attached by some keel planes.

Jessica
Posted on: 2005/11/23 21:41
  •  clinton
      clinton

From London UK
Group:
Registered Users
I believe it might have been less than 30 degrees. The hull could have split at a lower point if it was weak enough... The baker for example did not report a sudden drop (ellivator drop) as depicted in the movie. Certainly if something as heavy as the stern of a ship were to drop from so high up, it would have left a few people hanging in the air for a moment. That was not reported. If it broke apart at a lower hight, people would have felt a less dramatic fall and thus be able to hang on to the stern as it fell back on it's keel. That seems to be evident from many survivor accounts.
Posted on: 2005/12/10 10:59

From
Group:
Registered Users
with this I really don't know. all i know is that In the research i've done i've found out that one thery is that there was no damage to the side of titanic. it totally missed the iceburg ABOVE water, but grounded with the underwater portion of the iceburg therefore knocking I guess holes in the bottom of the ship. when the order was given hard a starbord, etc. the two expansion joints that were designed flexed against eich other therefore weakening the expansion joints. When the ship began to sink and the bow began to rise, the stress was too much and it broke in half. After it broke in half, the only part still attached was part of her keel. with the stern already filled with water and making its decent to the ocean floor it starts to pull the horizontal bow to a total upright position untill it finally breaks at the keel. the bow then sits there and bobs for a little bit, till it finally starts to fill with water and begin to sink. since the stern was already filled with water there was no air to cause much damage. the only damage that I can think of is the damage caused by going down at I think it was like I'll say 20 knots or so and hitting the ocean floor imbedding itself in the mud. The bow, on the other hand, was still filled with water and as it started to decend to the bottom the water tried to escape damaging the bow severly. untill it finally came to rest on the ocean floor. On some of this i don't know how accurate the info I found was, but I think that most of it is right. the ship split, in my opinion at the surface, but not all the way. then once the already submerged stern starts its decent to the ocean floor it pulls the bow with it. it has been said that if the keel wouldn't have still been attached the bow might have staied afloat and saved many lives, but we will never know because the keel was still attached and pulled the bow down with ti.
Posted on: 2005/12/11 11:53
  •  GooseGrl172
      GooseGrl172

From Maryland
Group:
Registered Users
Well it's unlikely that there would have been a sudden drop (as depicted in the movie) no matter the angle, since it is the bending and tearing of the metal that would have had the stern settle slowly back. Not necessarily the degree angle it was at (although a lower angle would have had more stress at the break point than a higher angle).

Jessica
Posted on: 2005/12/11 21:18
  •  clinton
      clinton

From London UK
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GooseGrl172 wrote:
Well it's unlikely that there would have been a sudden drop (as depicted in the movie) no matter the angle, since it is the bending and tearing of the metal that would have had the stern settle slowly back. Not necessarily the degree angle it was at (although a lower angle would have had more stress at the break point than a higher angle).

Jessica

My point exactly.
Posted on: 2005/12/14 8:57
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.