Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  buzzniki
      buzzniki
Please Help :o)

From
Group:
Registered Users
Hello, I'm looking for some help. I am doing a research paper on the Titanic, and I cannot find the answer to this ? ! "How far south might the Titanic have had to sail to avoid the icebergs?" If any one can help it will be much appreciated! Thanks :D
Posted on: 2003/9/7 23:14
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Squall
      Squall

From Near London, England
Group:
Registered Users
What sort of question is that? I'm not directing that at you, by the way. Have you got any sheets to work from?
Posted on: 2003/9/7 23:19
  •  buzzniki
      buzzniki

From
Group:
Registered Users
My english teacher gave us certain questions to answer for our paper, and that was one of them. I don't quite understand whether she wants how far it would have had to travel to get around the icebergs or what not...I'm just so confused lol, and it's due on monday :S
Posted on: 2003/9/7 23:23
  •  Squall
      Squall

From Near London, England
Group:
Registered Users
Youmay wanna read through this: [url]http://www.titanic.com/story/4/The_accident[/url]. I have briefly and can't find anything for you, but you might spot something.

Sorry :(
Posted on: 2003/9/7 23:42
  •  buzzniki
      buzzniki

From
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks alot for trying to help :D I have already read through that and didn't find anything...I will just leave that one out of my report. Thanks for all your help though
Posted on: 2003/9/7 23:46
  •  amanda_mg42
      amanda_mg42

From Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
I remember reading somewhere that in order for the Titanic to avoid the ice berg she would have had to sail about 56 miles south. No one knows for sure because no one knows the exact ice field of that night.
Posted on: 2003/9/8 2:12
  •  LightCanvas
      LightCanvas
Ice Field Reports

From
Group:
Registered Users
Quite right,Amanda! Let's look at the reports received by Titanic. Athinai reported ice at 41*51'N 49*23'W,this was the signal shown to Ismay by Smith! Noordam reported an ice extending in breadth from 49*50'W to 50*20'W!This,also,was seen by an officer if not Smith! Also,probably not seen by an officer,from Amerika reporting Let us assume Smith was made of the right stuff like Rostron/Carpathia&Moore/Mount Temple,and not a Buckarro Packet Driver!! Smith reachs the"Turning Point"@42*N47*W[this position aka"The Corner",was as far along the ideal great circle route possibly,any further, you're into Nfld.,ruin your whole night out!! Steers to 41*N50*W.20 miles[nautical] South of any reported ice and thence,steers to the Ambrose LightShip,the channel to NY, at 40*32'N74*02'W! Right,you lot,all you "Naviguessers"are Stood To!! Dust off your Noires and hav'a "Capt. Cook" at the Traverse Tables! Then, suss out the time lost if Smith had done the seamanlike thing! I think you will be shocked and sickened!! So many lives for so little!! :shock: :(
Posted on: 2003/9/13 22:44
  •  Elizabeth Swann
      Elizabeth Swann

From England
Group:
Registered Users
Wow i'd never be able to answer a question like that.

Just wonderin anyone got info, on captain smith or the crew.

:x
Posted on: 2003/9/16 20:08
  •  LightCanvas
      LightCanvas
Time'Distance Saved

From
Group:
Registered Users
Right! Time to blow the gaff!! The Distance lost to avoid the ice would have been 17 MILES!! About 45 MINS.!! Cost/Benefit Analysis from any MBA's?!
Posted on: 2003/9/17 2:34
  •  ilovetitanic
      ilovetitanic

From Inverness
Group:
Registered Users
To Elizebeth Swann who wanted to know about the crew of Titanic ....
Mr J. Bruce Ismay was far too unpopular with the public after the Titanic accident. He spent his remaining years alternating between his homes in London and Ireland. He started to become a recluse (hid himself away). He did enjoy being informed of shipping news but those around him were forbidden to mention the Titanic. He died in 1937.

Charles H. Lightoller during WW1 when he was serving with the Royal Navy became a commander. After the war, he found work ashore for several years before opening his own guesthouse and ultimately becoming a successful chicken farmer! During WW2, he used his private yacht, The Sundowner, to assist in the evacuation of Dunkirk. He passed away in December 1952.

That's all I wrote down in the project I did on Titanic as I was running out of time to do more but if you want mor eifo on the crew then go to http://www.collectibleonline.com/crew.htm
Hope this helps.
Posted on: 2003/9/20 14:56
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.