Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  LightCanvas
      LightCanvas
Cpt. Lord as Scapegoat

From
Group:
Registered Users
Bringing Fwd. a previous Query! Was Lord a convenient target for the mistakes of the BoT regarding adequate Lifeboats! Were the Rockets seen actually Distress Signals as defined at this time?! SUPRISE!!
Posted on: 2003/9/14 0:34
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Betty
      Betty
Wireless Operator Evans and John Phillips

From Albany, New York
Group:
Registered Users
Another "What ifs", etc.
Do you think if John Phillips had not yelled and cut off Wirless Operator Evans from the Californian, Evans might have stayed on the wireless and thus heard the sinking message?

Or If Evans had told Phillips how far the iceberg was from Titanic, he(Phillips would have informed the Captain.

Or things would have stayed just as they were?
Betty
Posted on: 2004/1/28 18:54
  •  Betty
      Betty

From Albany, New York
Group:
Registered Users
In regard to an "old post" by Lightcanvas. I think the rockets were seen by Captain Lord and his crew. IMO I think Captain Lord chose not to do anything about them and did not want to risk going thorugh the ice field. IMO most people put part of the blame on him just because he did not even try to come to Titanic's rescue.

But IMO this discussion re: Captain Lord will probably never end
Posted on: 2004/1/28 19:04
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
[quote:c32c0a89f3="Betty"]But IMO this discussion re: Captain Lord will probably never end[/quote:c32c0a89f3]

lol Betty i think that is true.

regarding the Rockets, from what i've read, at least two of the Califorians crew saw Titanics disstress signals, however they did not associate it with danger because ships often fired rockets as a celebration
Posted on: 2004/1/28 19:13
  •  Betty
      Betty

From Albany, New York
Group:
Registered Users
Bess,
If I understand "The Ship That Stood Still" which says The International Code for distress signals prevailing in 1912:
When a vessel is in distress and requires assistance from other vessels the following shall be the signals to be used or displayed.

And under AT NIGHT:It lists rockets or shells throwing stars of ANY color or description used one at a time at short intervals.

Shouldn't Captain Lord and his crew have known this?
Posted on: 2004/1/28 19:28
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Betty, what i posted earlier is something which i remember reading quite a while ago. i'll try to find the origional source.
yes captain lord and his crew should have known the distress signal code. however, i believe that Titanics socket signals, or whatever they were called (they werent rockets) were just fired at varying(sp?) intervals during the night, and not at *regular* intervals like they were supposed to be. therefore, the signal wasn't clear, more of a jumbled mess. had the signals been fired at regular intervals the message might have got accross more clearly.

(btw, i'm no expert on this subject. i am just going by things that i have read)
Posted on: 2004/1/28 19:56
  •  Betty
      Betty

From Albany, New York
Group:
Registered Users
Bess,
Yes I know what you mean there. The Titanic subject is one that just wants you to solve it, tear it apart and try to figure out "why" when I guess sometimes there are no whys?

Believe me, I am no expert by any means, but I love reading everything I can get my hands on, doing the research and getting other peoples input.
Fascinating, but sad subject
Posted on: 2004/1/28 20:02
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
same her Betty i love researching the subject and getting other peoples opinions as well. although i must admit, i research the passengers and crew more than the actual ship its self. although i do enjoy learning more about Titanic.

there is a saying that goes something like: "you meet Titanic, you fall in with her but you can never divorce her" - i think that has a shred of truth in it (for me at least)
Posted on: 2004/1/28 20:08
  •  Betty
      Betty

From Albany, New York
Group:
Registered Users
Bess,
I love your saying about Titanic. How very true.

Each Titanic person has their own research subject on Titanic that they are obsessed or love researching. Yours is crew and passengers, mine is locked gates and the Californian. Other people like?

That is what has us all keeping Titanic alive, so to speak
Posted on: 2004/1/29 0:32
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Betty,
locked gates and the Californian are just about the only things about Titanic i get confused about. i have been told by Titanic researchers, that on an expedition down to the wreck, the gates were found to be unlocked and open, others have said that there weren't any gates to be locked and then people say they were locked. what am i meant to believe??
and the Californian-i just haven't done that much research to know too much about it.-i think i will stick to my passengers and crew and leave the hard stuff to you
Posted on: 2004/1/29 11:28
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.