Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  8 Votes
  •  comando
      comando
Re: RAISE THE TITANIC WE CAN

From
Group:
Registered Users
Making 25,000+ feet of steel cables isnt a problem. We make skyscrapers every day
Posted on: 2006/3/20 3:27
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  comando
      comando

From
Group:
Registered Users
"We bring in the world's best deep core driller"-Armageddon

I say we do just that. Birng in a deep core driller on a barge, start extending the drill till we hit the bottom, drill about 30 feet into the ground then develope a transportation vehichle that will run down the pipes of the drill and then detach and hook up the steeel lines to titanic (only the side that is not damaged) and slowly pull it to turn onto the broken side. Then we will attach a net to the bottom of the rolled over side (ya see what im gettin at?) And the lower the ship back to how it was sitting. Its now sitting on the net. (the net got under the boat by rolling the boat partially on its side putting the net under the boat and then rolling the boat back on its other side.) 3 cables will attach to each side of the net (that is only 2 sides the left and right of titanic)and the net will slowly begin lifting with equil force on each side so titanic doesnt fall off. And were home free!!! once we lifted it back up We put it in the fresh water tank (using fresh water with the right base level will eleminate iron corroding bacteria that is why is said fresh water tank and not saltwater) Sink the barge and do all the stuff I mentioned earlier.
Posted on: 2006/3/20 3:46
  •  hendrick
      hendrick

From Georgia, U.S.
Group:
Registered Users
Of course it could be done; with the (right) parties being interested and enough money thrown at the project there wouldn't be a scrap left on the bottom. I personally would like to
see her brought up before she collapses into herself and if Woods Hole or someone as reputable were involved I would even chip in a few bucks. As for the gravesite concept I ask again: when does a site become archaeological and O.K. to dig
around in?
Posted on: 2006/3/20 9:19
  •  comando
      comando

From
Group:
Registered Users
any more opinions?over 300 people looked at this and only like 4 commented
Posted on: 2006/3/22 23:41
  •  comando
      comando

From
Group:
Registered Users
Many people talk of the Titanic as a "Fragile Shell". Forgetting the many bulkheads witch support the ship.

These bulkheads will have been badly corroded by now but they will still have most of there strength.
Posted on: 2006/3/22 23:55
  •  jarveytoast
      jarveytoast

From
Group:
Registered Users
I'm sorry, I am not convinced that the ship would survive a raising effort. Each time they dive, they document the deterioration of the ship and on the History Channel last month, the dive crew reported that the ship had deteriorated substancially. Plus, the longer we sit and talk about raising it, the years fly by while the ship sits and rots. If we wait another 20 years to try and raise it, for example..........it maybe so far gone to do it. You also have to contend with the international community who will probably bark at the suggestion because it's a grave yard.
Posted on: 2006/3/23 17:27

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
In the name off all that is holly, get a grip! First off, this topic has been done to death on this site, honestly its getting beyond irritating. Thank you LeoPlumtree for being the voice of reason, I observed your input on a similar thread about this very subject, very well done may I say my friend ;) Raising Titanic, is not, in any way economically viable, to any stretch of anyone’s over vivid imagination, such a venture, does not make economic sense, it be cheaper to build it again and trash it a little, put that on display and let the world see it. If you just take a moment to think of the practical night mare such a venture posses. You need to raise the ship, stabilize it, drag it many miles to port, then what? Leave it in dock? Honestly where are you going to put it? Let us assume, someone who has more money than sense does this, what exactly is the point in it? Ship will be tied up and you can look at it from a distance, what is the point in that. Be better to buy yourself a huge high definition TV and watch underwater footage. Anything raised from titanic is treated with museum care, as soon as it comes out the water, and is transported like Hannibal lector, you simply can’t do that with a massive ship, that's been decaying for 90 odd years, and is lacking any structural rigidity what so ever. I don’t support such a venture in the least; it’s a grave site, for God sake let them rest in peace........
Posted on: 2006/3/24 0:21
  •  liljordan23
      liljordan23

From
Group:
Registered Users
This shouldn't even be a topic for us to discuss. The Titanic disaster is something that will live in history and that is where it should stay. We already disturb this holy site by diving to the wreckage, which is fine, but that is as far as it should go. I'm beside myself that anyone would even consider raising the Titanic. Leave it and it's perished passengers alone!

Furthermore I really resent all the conversation about the economic impact of rasing this ship. I know some people out there would think that it would help out in some financial way, but the truth is...it won't. I have seen the Titanic exhibition that travels around the world and laid eyes on the large hull piece that they have on display. I know how hard it is to not become selfish and want to see more. If it were raised and people were able to see it, then what? When the fanfare dies down...then what do we do with the ship? The fact is, this ship is better served at the bottom of the Atlantic where it has a higher purpose. It's the site where hundreds perished and I think that is where it should stay. Discussion closed! Raising this ship cannot happen! Not because I don't think we have the technology too, but because it's desecrating one of the most historic gravesites on Earth.

I'll leave you with this...Imagine if thousands of people across the world were discussing in forums the possiblity of digging up a loved one of yours. We might not be digging up physical bodies, but we are removing the one thing that represents those physical bodies that died on that fateful night. Think about that...
Posted on: 2006/3/26 4:23

From Manchester England
Group:
Registered Users
Well I ceartainly DO NOT agree with brining up Titanic it is the most INSANE idea I have herd. IF they brought up titanic and SOME how managed to get her docked & sited & stable enough ( I think its Impossible anyway ) what would Titanic become a theme park attraction? P{ay to see her then Pay more to touch het then pay to have youre photo taken with her then yeah what the heck why not buy the awful comercial t-shirt I saw the Titanic. Nope I don’t think its what Titanic is about I think that is a dirty money making greedy mans way of exploiting people with an Intrest. I would have NOTHING to do with any pat=rt of it if it was ever done anyway Mind you hom many people would?!
Posted on: 2006/3/26 21:42
  •  White_star9
      White_star9

From
Group:
Registered Users
No...we can't. The hull is buried in 40 feet of MUD! And the stern is WAY to fragile to even try. And it's also disturbing and disrespecting to the people who died on that tragic night.
Posted on: 2006/3/27 2:12
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.