Re: RAISE THE TITANIC WE CAN

From
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

comando wrote:
Quote:

FoX1978 wrote:
It would be impossible to raise the titanic. If not the ethical objections should stop us from raising it, then the technical problems will.

Titanic is in a state of heavy corosion. The structure can barely substain it's own weight. Raising it would put to much stress on the structure and it would collapse without a doubt...

Oh really so why is it gonna take 25 years for it to finaly collapse on itself if it can "barely" hold its weight now? huh einstein? yeah dude when u bring back some real info then try to say that we cant raise it

'Dude', it is impossibe. Here is a quote from a scientific abstract on this forum: "The results of this analysis show that the bow of RMS Titanic has been losing its structural integrity at a rapid rate and she is in danger of total collapse."

Titanic may hold for a decade or 2 when untouched, but lifting it will put way too much stress on the structure to reach the ocean surface...
Posted on: 2006/4/14 13:28
Create PDF from Post Print

From
Group:
Registered Users
FoX1978 is right, the titanic is in no shape to be pulled to the surface with todays technolagy. if there was some way to incase the ship in a presurized "box", then maybe, just maybe, she can see the surface agian

-Fitzy112
Posted on: 2006/4/14 14:32

From Delaware, United States
Group:
Registered Users
Another post implied that Titanic could be raised due to the fact that other, much older vessels have been raised. But one must remember that Titanic is 12,500 feet down in some of the "at times" harshest and unpredictable waters of the world. The front portion of her bow is buried almost 60 feet down into the mud, plus the fact that the deterioration has affected her structural stability to the point that even attempting to raise her would result in a major collapse. It's not going to happen, nor should it be tried!
Posted on: 2006/4/15 21:53
  •  silverFire
      silverFire

From East Coast
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

M_Passwaters wrote:
Another post implied that Titanic could be raised due to the fact that other, much older vessels have been raised. But one must remember that Titanic is 12,500 feet down in some of the "at times" harshest and unpredictable waters of the world. The front portion of her bow is buried almost 60 feet down into the mud, plus the fact that the deterioration has affected her structural stability to the point that even attempting to raise her would result in a major collapse. It's not going to happen, nor should it be tried!

Well said, and I agree. Never mind the fact that it's a mass grave site.

I understand wanting to raise it from a historical perspective.

I think raising it is a very impractical idea for an array os reasons.

Basically when it comes down to it I think the wreck site needs to be treated with respect - everytime someone brings something up from the bottom it's a bit like grave robbing.
Posted on: 2006/4/16 4:57

Group:
Registered Users
Thank-you. Your mentioning of the Titanic as a "grave site" also comes into play when talk comes around about raising the ship. For the victims of the disaster, Titanic is their monument. It should not be plundered with.
Posted on: 2006/4/16 5:10
  •  titanicfan05
      titanicfan05

From
Group:
Registered Users
I agree that we should leave it alone. I believe it is not only a grave site but also a historical landmark. Not only would it fall apart if we tried, because they have tried to think of ways to raise it before, but it just wouldn't be right. Besides, if they did raise it, where would they put it and how could they preserve it well enough to ensure that it would last any longer than it will under the ocean?
Posted on: 2006/4/23 5:36

From Orange, VA (U.S.A.)
Group:
Registered Users
Besides the fact that Titanic is a grave site and VERY brittle, it would be too expensive to pull her up. Unless your best friends, or related to Bill Gates, I can only see your check book balance going down faster than the Titanic. And even after you get her up, then what? Titanic isn't exactly show room condition.

No. Titanic is better off on the ocean floor, so let's just leave her there. She'll be there tomorrow (I don't know if she'll be there in 50 yrs, but I don't see her desolving away overnight).

Let them (and Titanic ) rest in peace.
Posted on: 2006/4/23 8:07

Group:
Registered Users
Agreed. The wreck is a fitting memorial in itself.
Posted on: 2006/4/23 18:25
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.