Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  1 Votes
  •  jpmorgan
      jpmorgan
rushed

From uk
Group:
Registered Users
was the titanic rushed built too quick corners cut, were sea trials properly observered, at the end of the day she was built to earn money, in those days when she was built they was not health and safty as they is today, would she of past sea trials today my answer is differently no, was she constructed to a very high standard as the white star line claim she was no, ships today are built a lot better and stronger and bigger these days ship builders cant get away with shoddy work manship like years past.
Posted on: 2006/4/10 22:34
Create PDF from Post Print
Re: rushed

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
Is this a question or a statement, in either case a similar thread is up my friend.
Posted on: 2006/4/11 11:33

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bell wrote:
Is this a question or a statement, in either case a similar thread is up my friend.

Take that back there isnt, never mind :P
Posted on: 2006/4/11 14:55
  •  jpmorgan
      jpmorgan

From uk
Group:
Registered Users
bell i think your answer was rushed never mind the thread but i will take it back
Posted on: 2006/4/11 18:27

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
No i meant i take what i said back lol, there isnt a thread up.....atleast as far as i can tell.

To say it was rushed, well, there probably is foundation of such an argument, the men who worked at harland were payed by how much the did, more you do the more you earn. That said, if you are doing the same thing over and over again all your working life, your bound to be quick at it.
Posted on: 2006/4/12 14:37
  •  silverFire
      silverFire

From East Coast
Group:
Registered Users
I believe it most likely was - the ship was doomed from the start, so many things were working against it.

Granted hindsight is only 20 20 - but for gods sake the rutter was even to small for the ship.

Harland and Wolf were so money hungry at one point after the Olympic was damaged they took parts from the Titanic to get the Olympic running again so they wouldn;t lose any more money ... what does that say about the company?

Niether the Titanic,Birtanic of Olympic stood the test of time well. 2 of the 3 sank, and Olympic was deconstucted for the final time in 1935. So again what does that say?

With all the history surrounding it one might think they would have kept the Olympic around.
Posted on: 2006/4/16 3:44

From Delaware, United States
Group:
Registered Users
Bell is right, there is foundation for a argument on this issue. I don't believe Titanic was rushed necessarily, but I do see where the Harland & Wolff workers of course tried their hardest to do it as fast as possible. They needed the money to support their familes, and the faster they worked, the more money they got.

I do believe that the decision by H&W to use parts from the Titanic to help get the Olympic back into service as quickly as possible was the right thing to do. Lord Pirrie knew that Ismay was in the business to make money, and without the Olympic on the sea, they would definetly be hurting. Titanic was still in the fitting out stages, so not repairing Olympic as fast as possible and just taking their time would result in a greater loss of profit than just taking the parts already in place on Titanic and getting Olympic back out on the sea.

Also, Olympic's demise was definetly premature in my opinion, Mark Chirnside, author of "RMS Olympic: Titanic's sister" wrote a great article on this exact theory. It is quite interesting. Here is the link for it:

http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/item/1502/
Posted on: 2006/4/16 3:56

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
I would of thought getting Olympic back out to sea would be the sensible thing to do, Titanic didnt need these parts at the time, get them on Olympic, make Titanic its new part, I mean its the sensible thing to do.

Olympic, well she lasted 24 odd years, survived the war, and was still in good condition, at the time of scraping, she unlike her modern counterparts, wasnt sprayed with anti corrosive compounds etc. In terms of keeping her....Doubtfall, She Would no doubt be Destroyed in the war, by the germans, or even the brits who needed the scrap iron. You may argue, well they kept Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth, but remember, they still ran in service after the war. Keeping Olympic would be a costly exercise with no real benifit, and also, what kind of tribute is that, sister ship of the doomed Titanic. Olympic would just be in her sisters shadow
Posted on: 2006/4/16 10:34

From Delaware, United States
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, but we'll never know if Olympic would have been destroyed by the Germans or not. Olympic was pretty fuel efficient compared to other ships and had a great reputation with the public. "Old Reliable" is a good nick-name for Olympic. I'm sure the British could have possibly found another use for her besides scrap metal. Olympic is and always will be in Titanic's shadow, same as Britannic. The tragic story surrounding Titanic and the circumstances that it occured will always put them into the background. But I think both vessels have very interesting storys to tell.
Posted on: 2006/4/16 15:59

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
I would doubt she was ruched because, to an extent your countries pride went along with what they where building. You have to think of it in the context, for those breif four days, not only was Titanic the biggest passenger liner, she was larger than any military ship, or cargo vessel. Todays Queen Mary 2, though huge, is dwarfed, by the new American aircraft carriers (and soon the new british ones), and the new generation of cargo ship. So really, its all relative, as i said, countries pride rested with these ships to, somed up best, in my view, the battle between Normandie and the Queen Mary. Today, our pride is expressed else where, like the world cup, nations very credibility (well amongst the die hard footie fans atleast lol) rests on there boys (dont mean to be sexist) performance as they play against the worlds finest. Back then, that didnt really exist, Titanic was such an important, expression of determination and all the rest, to think the men who built her, bolted her together as fast as they can. Seems atleast to be a bit of a let down.
Posted on: 2006/4/18 17:25
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.