Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  strider_uk
      strider_uk
Belfast Celebrates Titanic Anniversary

From Bangor, Northern Ireland
Group:
Registered Users
Belfast is applying the finishing touches to a series of events to mark the 95th anniversary of the launching from the city of the RMS Titanic.

The Titanic was launched from Belfast 95 years ago

The fifth annual 'Titanic Made in Belfast' festival begins on Easter Saturday 15 April and continues until Saturday 22 April.

The ill-fated liner, which sank with the loss of 1,500 lives on its maiden transatlantic voyage in 1912, was built at Belfast's Harland and Wolff shipyard.

During the Easter week, Belfast City Hall will display 250 Titanic artefacts never seen before in Northern Ireland, which will be auctioned in England immediately after the festival.

A wealth of other activities have been organised by Belfast City Council over the week.

One of the highlights will be the first public screening of the unedited 'lost' Titanic film, believed to be the longest and most comprehensive Titanic footage yet discovered

Meanwhile, the acclaimed 'Titanic At Home' exhibition, has temporarily taken up a new berth.

Telling the story of the building of Titanic, and of the people who built it, the exhibition this year will be staged at W5, the interactive discovery centre at the Odyssey Pavilion - just a few hundred yards from where Titanic itself grew majestically on the Belfast skyline 95 years ago.

It focuses on the creation of the ship, telling the story through the eyes and words of the workers who put a piece of themselves into the ship and those who sailed from Belfast never to return.

'Titanic The Image', a major new exhibition, is being staged in partnership with the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum.

It will look at the enduring myths around the ship and how it has become a key icon of international popular culture and one of the great metaphors of our time.

The liner was built at Belfast's Harland and Wolff shipyard

Visitors will be taken on a journey of images charting the three stages of Titanic's life: its creation in Belfast, its fateful maiden voyage and sinking, and its 'afterlife' as portrayed in paintings, films and other visual representations.

Belfast Lord Mayor Wallace Browne said the Titanic story was both fascinating and poignant.

"For too long, Belfast's part in the Titanic story, and the role of the people of Belfast in bringing Titanic to life, has been neglected," he said.

"Over the past few years, the city that gave birth to the ship, and many others, finally and rightfully acknowledged her part in the tale, and Belfast City Council once again is proud to celebrate the achievement, commemorate the tragedy and educate the world about our city's role in the Titanic story."

This year's festival, which has been organised by Celebrate Belfast, is dedicated to the memory of John Parkinson, president of the Belfast Titanic Society, who passed away at the age of 99, on 1 March.

More details of the events can be obtained from the Belfast Welcome Centre, by calling +44 (0) 28 9024 6609, by email from or online at www.belfastcity.gov.uk/celebratebelfast2006.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk 14/4/2006
Posted on: 2006/4/13 22:14
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  broken_heart
      broken_heart
Re: Belfast Celebrates Titanic Anniversary

From Warrenton, Mo
Group:
Registered Users
cool
Posted on: 2006/4/14 3:11
  •  whitestar19
      whitestar19

From in front of my computer screen:)
Group:
Registered Users
Wow!!! I love this!
Posted on: 2006/4/14 3:25
  •  Titanic705
      Titanic705

From Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
Group:
Registered Users
I thought it was the 94th anniversary, not the 95th as we still have 6 years till the 100th so that makes it 94th?
Posted on: 2006/4/14 9:29
  •  strider_uk
      strider_uk

Group:
Registered Users
Titanic was launched in 1911, took nearly a year to complete, and sank in 1912. 95 years from its launch, 94 years from its sinking.
Posted on: 2006/4/14 9:52
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
right mate your right but in belfast they starting a prodect were in the thomas drydock that titanic was bilt in they making a full scale model of the titanic in the dry dock and having it lit up on a night on the annerversery oftitanic so the time for the anniversery is on april 12 2012 wene it first started it first and ever maden voyage to new yourk
Posted on: 2006/4/24 19:06

From Delaware, United States
Group:
Registered Users
I must say I was quite pleased when I heard what Belfast had in mind. It will be a spectacular site to see.
Posted on: 2006/4/26 0:09
  •  strider_uk
      strider_uk

Group:
Registered Users
I have found details of the proposed Tourist Project scheme that is planned for Titanic Quarter. If it does get the go ahead and is built, it will indeed be a spectacular site to see. I will be first in line for a job down there.

(Please note this is a pdf file and may take a minute to download)

www.belfastcity.gov.uk/events/press/titanic.pdf

Strider_uk
Posted on: 2006/4/28 23:14
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
it be great tos see but if they doi find out from harlond and wolf as i own 5 prercent shares as i am a bored memeber how cool
Posted on: 2006/7/8 12:37
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.