Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
should titanic beleft alone
Guest_Anonymous
shouldt itanic be lkeft alone for the future and futureloars be inplaced and should they keep olympic in service send me a email what you think at
Posted on: 2006/4/24 18:55
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  LeoPlumtree
      LeoPlumtree
Re: should titanic beleft alone

From
Group:
Registered Users
Um, it's a little late to worry 'bout what's done with Olympic - it was scrapped decades ago.
Posted on: 2006/4/24 20:54

From Orange, VA (U.S.A.)
Group:
Registered Users
Yes....

She's a gravesite that should not be disturbed. If you wish, take 1,000 rolls of film with you, and take pictures! Use every shot if you wish, but whatever you do, do NOT touch. Leave Titanic as you found her, and let future generations see her.

By the way, LeoPlumtree is right. Olympic was scrapped in 1935. Shame they didn't turn her into a museum. She was the first one of her class ( Olympic Class), and the only one to see retirement (if you call being cut up 'retirement').

may they rest in piece.
Posted on: 2006/4/25 1:20

From Delaware, United States
Group:
Registered Users
Yes it should, and no it hasn't. As Robert (rip1912) said, Titanic is indeed a gravesite. I am right there with Dr. Ballard on this issue, and it is a shame that Titanic has been desecrated. I believe that seeing Titanic through pictures and video have a much bigger impact than going to a exhibition. When you see the pictures/video, especially with todays High Definition camera's,(Like the ones Dr. Ballard used in 2004) the images are breath taking. I would much rather see those items right where history sat them, which is the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean with the RMS Titanic. But unfortunately many salvagers and others have mistreated the Titanic, and because of that, she will never be the same. Although the first images we saw of Titanic in 1985 and 1986 are not as clear as we would like, her beauty can best be viewed here, in a time in which she hadn't been desecrated, and hadn't been plundered. The old lady still had her jewels on... but now she doesn't, and she'll never get them back.
Posted on: 2006/4/25 2:05
  •  White_star9
      White_star9

From
Group:
Registered Users
The Titanic should NOT be disturbed in any way. It's better to just leave it be. And sadly, the Olympic was scrapped in '35. Sad...I liked her a lot...
Posted on: 2006/4/25 4:27

From Delaware, United States
Group:
Registered Users
I figured I would give a little information for those curious about the RMS Olympic's demise. RMS Olympic was layed up in Southampton next to the Mauretania in 1935, and many rumors were floating around about what would happen to next. The Italian government even proposed to purchase her and make her into a troopship, but nothing ever came of this. RMS Olympic's fittings were auctioned, and she was sent off to the Jarrow scrapping yards. After two years, her hull, minus it's superstructure was towed to Inverkeithing, where the final demolition was completed.

http://www.bytenet.net/rmscaronia/images/Olympic_and_M_1935.jpg < This was a big photo (atleast on my end it was) so I decided just to paste the link for everyone. This is a photo of the Olympic on the left, and the Mauretania on the right laid up in Southampton in 1935.

RMS Olympic gathering up steam for the trip to Jarrow. 1935

RMS Olympic's hull being towed to Inverkeithing for final demolition. 1937
Posted on: 2006/4/25 4:59

From Orange, VA (U.S.A.)
Group:
Registered Users
Sad! Two fine ladies at the end of their careers, only to have their steel melted down for bomb shells.
Posted on: 2006/4/25 18:22
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.