Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  William Flaherty
      William Flaherty
LIFEBOATS: Who manufactured them???

From
Group:
Registered Users
Can anyone tell me who manufactured the lifeboats.
Posted on: 2003/10/14 21:49
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
the lifeboats were designed by cheif ships draughtsman Roderick Chisholm, the boats were constructed at the Harland & Wolff works in Belfast
Posted on: 2003/10/14 23:37
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
I understand that they built a lot of lifeboats just to have them on hand, then they were painted with the name of the ship they were on when they were loaded. At least that's what Ismay's testimony seemed to infer - anybody know any different?
Posted on: 2003/10/21 18:45
  •  Betty
      Betty

From Albany, New York
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know? are any of the original Titanic lifeboats around? I know they were repainted, the Titanic insignia taken off, but were any kept anywhere. I read something about them put in a warehouse and forgotten? True?
Posted on: 2004/2/3 14:11
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
this is what the book, Titanic Triumph And Tragedy by Eaton & Haas says about the lifeboats:
"workmen are put to work on saturday 20 April sanding off ther remaining Titanic nameplates from the thirteen recovered boats. souvenir hunters had emptied the boats of much of their equipment and markers during the night of 19 April. Once the workmen are finished, the boats are hauled up to the second floor loft between piers 58 and 59, from which point they disappear into history."
Posted on: 2004/2/3 22:36
  •  Betty
      Betty

From Albany, New York
Group:
Registered Users
Bess,
I also did a little research and found out some things "similar" to yours.
Seven of Titanic's boats were taken to NY by Carpathia, 8pm on April 18th but instead of stopping at Cunard's pier, Carpathia stopped at the White Star pier and dropped off Titanic's boats before coming back to Cunard dock and unloading its passengers.

That night curiosity seekers raided the boats looking for souvenirs, names plates reading "SS Titanic" were stolen as well as boat numbers and White Star flags. Guards were posted to watch over them and the remaining name plates thought to be made of brass were removed by White Star workers WS brught in inspectors from the Brooklin based CM Lane Lifeboat Co. to inventory and assess the value of the contents of the lifeboats. he value set at $5,446.31. The boats were apparently stowed in a 2nd floor loft at the White Star Pier after which their whereabouts are not fully known.
Posted on: 2004/2/3 22:50
  •  cartirlfanatic
      cartirlfanatic

From Tx
Group:
Registered Users
Betty, I thought some of her lifeboats went on other ships or did I dreamt that? I do believe that Thomas Andrews wanted enought boats for everyone on board, but he was overruled. What a shame. ONLY IF they would have listen to him.
Posted on: 2004/2/4 2:00
  •  all_enthused_about_titani
      all_enthused_about_titani

From Florida
Group:
Registered Users
That idiot Ismay thought it would take to much room on deck, therefore making it uncomfortable for the first class, the only people he was interested in.
Posted on: 2004/2/4 2:51
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
[quote:ce49dad938="cartirlfanatic"]Betty, I thought some of her lifeboats went on other ships or did I dreamt that? I do believe that Thomas Andrews wanted enought boats for everyone on board, but he was overruled. What a shame. ONLY IF they would have listen to him. [/quote:ce49dad938]

you didn't dream it because i have heard that too. i dont know whether its true or not though
Posted on: 2004/2/4 20:04
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
About the boats this has nothing to do with who manufactured them but on the night of the disaster in lifeboat 8 the countress of rothes took her turn at the oars before handling the tiller for most of the night the crew member in charge of the boat gave her the lifeboat number plate mounted on a plaque! He was thomas jones! :wink: :D
Posted on: 2004/2/4 22:31
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.