Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  Titanic King
      Titanic King
Re: Question for the Historians

From Remyxxx777
Group:
Registered Users
Well Captain_Jack let put it this way. I have a book called The Mammoth Book of the Titanic. I haves the inquirys and cotemporary accounts from the survivor. There were also reports of 3rd class passengers destroying White Star Line property.
For your info there were only 202 or more first class passengers.
There only around 300 or less second class passengers.
And finally their were only 706 or more first class passengers.
Those that explain why more third class passengers survive.You should watch T.V. more often when something comes on about Titanic and stop acting like you are a know-it-all.
Finally there is only two people who know if those gates where locked.
It is JESUSand GOD.
WE WILL NEVER KNOW IF THOSE DOORS WERE LOCKED WILL WE.
I will not answer your next comment you give me. This is my final answer. Can you try and beat this answer Capt. Jack.
Posted on: 2006/7/11 3:59
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Vanishing Nightmare
      Vanishing Nightmare

From Kentucky, United States
Group:
Registered Users
I think I found proof that prehaps some of the gates 3rd class WERE closed... this is from a survivor or a survivors story passed down. So this has to be solid information I would hope the hoster of the site wouldn't type up stories but I am not considering this to be the senairo. I am considering this to be truth...
-------------------------------------------

Catherine & Margaret Murphy as written by their great-granddaughter Erin Garry Updated 4/19/98

My great-grandmother, Catherine (Kate) Murphy, and her older sister Margaret are survivors of the Titanic disaster. Here is their own personal story of what happened from what they each told their daughters, who then in turn passed on what the remembered to me:

Kate and Margaret grew up in a family of thirteen children in County Longford, Ireland. Their mother was often sick, and their father had died when they were young, so their oldest brother was like the head of the family. He was very strict, and rarely let the girls go to parties or just go out with their friends and have fun.

Since they had two sisters and a brother who were already in America, they really wanted to go, but their brother would not permit them to. Their neighbors, the name of them is uncertain, (I have narrowed it down to three names, Kiernan, O’Brien, and O’Conner), bought Third Class tickets for themselves on the Titanic, and then secretly bought tickets for Kate and Margaret as well.

When the boys left for Cobh, (known as Queenstown by those who are un- educated), Kate and Margaret came with them, pretending that they were planning just to see them off on their journey to America. They would then have their tickets and would be off on their way to New York. On the way to Cobh, they joked around with each other saying that they were eloping. And it was kind of like they were since they were about the same ages.

Once on the ship, the girls, who were then only sixteen and twenty, were amazed by how beautiful it was. Later they would talk about how being on the Titanic was one of the greatest things that they had ever been able to do. In the evening after dinner there was always parties in the Third Class Dining Room with singing and dancing. People who had their instruments with them on the ship would break them out and play along with the rhythm of the dancing feet around them. Third Class may not have been the most elegant, but it was definitely the most fun.

On the night of the sinking, Kate and Margaret were just going to bed when their neighbors came to their room to tell them what had happened. Neither of them had had any idea prior to that that anything had happened, and still didn’t realize that the ship was sinking.

Soon their room began to fill with sea water and the girls tried to get up to the upper decks, but were held back by a sea barrier. Kate and Margaret, as well as Kathy Gilnagh and Kate Mullins were very happy when James Farrell, who was also an Irish Third Class passenger ran up to the seaman standing there and yelled, ”Great God, man! Open the gate and let the girls through!” Surprisingly enough, the seaman did as Farrell had told him to do, and opened the gate to let them pass through to the upper decks.

Kate and Margaret eventually got up to the main deck and were lucky enough to make it into a lifeboat, lifeboat number sixteen.

When the rescue ship Carpathia came, Kate said that she didn’t think that it was going to stop. People started waving their arms and yelling “Help!! Help!! Please stop!!” But the Carpathia did stop, and the two sisters were cold, but still alive when they got hoisted up out of the wooden boat onto the deck of the ship.

When the Carpathia got to New York, both of them had to go to St. Vincent’s Hospital. Their siblings, Patrick, of Yonkers, Annie, of Liberty, and Bridget, (called Briggie), came to get them.

Kate and Margaret were very sad to find out that their neighbors had died on the ship, as well as James Farrell, the man who had saved them. And to their surprise, back at home in Ireland, their mother was devastated because she thought they had been killed too. She was very happy to find out that they were both all right.

Kate and Margaret both eventually got married and each had three children. Kate’s: Marie (my Nana), Rita, and Michael, grew up with Margaret’s: Margaret, Anne (who supplied me with much of this information), and Matthew. Both lived out long lives, but were forever changed by their journey on Titanic. They were terrified of water for the rest of their lives. Kate rarely talked about the tragedy, but her sister, being older when it happened, did.
-----------------------------------------------
My source is here: http://www.keyflux.com/titanic/passdata.htm
If you go to Edit - Find (On this page)... Type in "gate" you will have to hit once or twice but you will find where I found this article.

-Cricket Korta'Ari-
Posted on: 2006/7/11 5:13

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
Childish, lol though i do think you will check back here to see sir jack's responce so let the b-i-t-c-h fight comence!

(I apoligise but this sorta thing cracks me up hehe)
Posted on: 2006/7/12 0:54
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
i am a titanic historian for almost 18 years now...some gates were locked while others were not...an expedition to titanic found gates with no locks on them at all...the biggest peoblem was that signs were in english and most 3rd class passangers were immigrants and could not read the signs...plus you get that many people together in a small space speaking different languages i'm sure it was pure horror for them...
Posted on: 2006/7/14 17:53
  •  Titanic King
      Titanic King

From Remyxxx777
Group:
Registered Users
You are correct Slicker93. We wont know if all the gates were locked. They could of all been locked, but when the ship hit the bottom of the ocean they probably broke off. We will never know.
Posted on: 2006/7/14 17:59
  •  Titanic King
      Titanic King

From Remyxxx777
Group:
Registered Users
I have a question. Did Mr. Murdoch really shot himself.
Posted on: 2006/7/14 18:24
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
from my understanding no one really knows for sure...but harold bride was standing next to officer murdoch on the starboard side of the ship while Murdoch was working to launch Collapsible A. When the bridge suddenly submerged, a surge of seawater rushed over the deck and threw Bride and Murdoch into the sea together. Bride was therefore an *eyewitness* to Murdoch being swept into the sea and could therefore state with authority that the First Officer did not shoot himself.

it may be possible htat Bride is mistaken because of how crazy things were that night...we may never really know....
Posted on: 2006/7/14 18:36
  •  Titanic King
      Titanic King

From Remyxxx777
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah I read about that, but why would James Cameron put that in his film. Their were loads of people swept by that wave.
Posted on: 2006/7/14 18:39
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
i read in a newpaper that James Cameron had to appoligize to Officer Murdoch's hometown....because he is concidered a hero and since it can not be proven either way, he had to apoligize...james cameron put alot of things in the movie that wern't historicaly correct...when jack is running to catch the ship...in reality all 3rd class passangers would have been on board long before 1st class arrived....also when rose was going to jump off the back...in the movie the navigation light is missing from the rear of the ship...that scene would not have worked had the navigation light been there(it would have been in the way)remember it was ment to entertain and tell alove story not be a documentary...it was a lovely love story but there were some things in the movie that just would not have worked in 1912...he did do another movie ghosts of the abyss which is lovely and i recomend it to people when i lecture on titanic...i don't recomend the movie titanic for historical reasons..people are often mislead....I will admit though the scene when the ship sinks and you have the music in the background..that is amazing...
Posted on: 2006/7/14 19:28
  •  Titanic King
      Titanic King

From Remyxxx777
Group:
Registered Users
I know, but he could of have to put somethings that were correct.
Posted on: 2006/7/14 21:50
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.