Terrible
Poster Thread
Re: Question for the Historians

From
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Titanic King wrote:
Okay back to the question. Was Capt. Smith pressured to speed up the Titanic.

I am of the opinion that Bruce Ismay did express the view to Captain Smith that it was both possible and desirable for the Titanic to arrive in New York on Tuesday evening. Olympic arrived early on her second, third and fourth westbound voyages in 1911. My view with regard to Titanic is largely, yet not entirely, based on Elizabeth Lines’ October 1913 statement to the Limitation of Liability hearings. There are a number of other sources.

If you are interested about this topic, you may find J. Kent Layton’s paper interesting:

http://www.atlanticliners.com/Article%20The%20Arrival%20That%20Never%20Took%20Place.pdf

I am not sure if the direct link would work – however, if you scroll down on this page (http://www.atlanticliners.com/atlantic_liners_news.htm ) then you can click on the link: ‘9/6/2005:
A new monograph on the arrival of the Titanic in New York has been prepared. Get ready to delve into one of the most detailed considerations of this subject to date.’

Best wishes,

Mark.
Posted on: 2006/7/20 19:16
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  lilcandycane
      lilcandycane

From
Group:
Registered Users
i'm sure he did..but we will never know 100%....it was capt smith's last crossing after a very long and wonderful life at sea...i'm sure getting to NY early would have been the icing on the cake....but i also think that had capt smith gotten all the iceberg warnings...he would have done something to prevent the disaster....remember the last one from the californian was trapped in ice not far away and tried to warn titanic and philips replyed,"shut up shut up i'm busy, i'm in the middle of cape race" i think many people made mistakes that night..but sadly the capt is responsible for the safty of his ship and passangers...
Posted on: 2006/7/20 21:21

From
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

lilcandycane wrote:
we will never know 100%....

That's what makes the topic so interesting. All we can do is view the body of evidence in its totality, assess it and form opinions -- some different from others. Kent addresses many of your points in his paper (which I referenced above).

Best wishes,

Mark.
Posted on: 2006/7/20 21:52
  •  lilcandycane
      lilcandycane

From
Group:
Registered Users
i tried to access the page and it wouldn't load for me...all i got was a blank screen
Posted on: 2006/7/20 22:28

From
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

lilcandycane wrote:
i tried to access the page and it wouldn't load for me...all i got was a blank screen

It's a pdf. document -- so you need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view it. Sometimes you need to 'minus' your browser to the toolbar, and click the 'view in Adobe' sign that appears behind where your browser window was (if one does).

Or you could try accessing it through the second link I provided, which leads you to the links page and then the article.

It's a pity -- it's a thirty-odd page discussion, very detailed and interesting.

Best wishes,

Mark.
Posted on: 2006/7/20 22:33

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
Just had a quick read of the thread, and although it may be resolved/forgotten whatever, I think a little small reminder to the kids out there to watch ur dam mouth. Titanic King I doubt anyone wants to 'mess' with someone for new orleans, however place of origin does not indeed make ur self the same as those around u, e.g growing up in the hood macking u a gangster.....

However I can see why you would think it was 'rude' to interupt your query, however, note that the original post of this thread clearly ask's a question refering to gates, if u feel the need to ask another, perhaps make a new thread? Though I can see as the topic heading is pretty vauge, you can ask something of a similar nature. The interuption, was a reply to the threads initial question, and as most forms would have me belive, any post after the original question, is in responce to that question.

New questions deserve new thread, though tbh, almost any question u can think of has already been covered.

Now i am off to the sea side :)
Posted on: 2006/7/24 15:26
  •  patricia shermer
      patricia shermer

From
Group:
Registered Users
I recieved a brass disk that has the words NAVIGATOR QUARTERS S.S. TITANIC. There is a circle with two overlaping stars between the word quarters and S.S. Titanic. It has the N,S,E,W,at each point of the top star. The disk is 2 and a half inches rounded at the top and bottom rectangle with a small whole at the top --maybe to be used as a key chain. I do not know if this is from the ship or a suvenior. There is a stamp on the back that has what looks like the word solid but I can not make out the bottom word. Can you help me?
Posted on: 2006/7/25 0:13
  •  Captain_Jack
      Captain_Jack

From
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

patricia shermer wrote:
I recieved a brass disk that has the words NAVIGATOR QUARTERS S.S. TITANIC.

Try a new thread! Enjoy.
Posted on: 2006/7/25 21:06
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.