Good
      Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
[quote:129735be95="Megantic06"]bess with all the people running around, do you not think there would be some woman or child that needed to get on? look how many women and children died. i think you are basing your opinion by the way it looked in the movie, when i think in real life someone couldve gotten on[/quote:129735be95]

nope, i hate the movie and i hate when people base their opinions on it so i wouldnt do it myself :)
i base my opinions on other passenger and crew accounts i've read and things that were said at the inquiry and such, of course i cant prove there weren't any passengers around, just like you cant prove their were, but i still dont think bruces life was any less precious and that because he was there, as a passenger representing his company that that makes him more worthy to die.
Posted on: 2003/12/20 11:11
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Megantic06
      Megantic06

From
Group:
Registered Users
You really do make a good point bess... and normally i am headstrong about ALL of my opinions.. and now this time i'm becoming unsure...

i've always thought he shouldnt have gotten on, and now i see your point to a certain extent..............but i still think i will always think a woman and child shouldve filled his seat i guess i'm not up with the times just yet :wink:

I really appreciate how well you have your opinions and stick to them, i LOVE strong-minded people, and i also love a good debate :D
Posted on: 2003/12/21 5:48
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
thanks, i love a good debate too! i think on this subject, we will agree to disagree. :)
Posted on: 2003/12/21 13:36
  •  Silja
      Silja

From Germany
Group:
Registered Users
I absolutely agree with Bess and The Foxes. There was apparently noone else near the boat the moment he stepped in, so what difference would it have made for any of the 1,500 people who died if he had not?! The place would have remained empty, and everyone has the natural right to save himself. On the starboard side men were allowed to step into the boats anyway, and as long as there were no women available (at the time of lowering!), why shouldn't they? "Heroism" for the sake of heroism is simply pathetic I think.
Posted on: 2003/12/21 23:41
  •  Raven
      Raven

From ..Stalker..O.o;;
Group:
Registered Users
[quote:b128da3190="bess"][quote:b128da3190="Raven"]Both of you have good opinions, but I'm still sticking to mine. I think he should've found another passenger to get in the lifeboat, so many people went down with the ship. He could have..but bleh, blame his human instincs(sp?) for panicing and jumping into that lifeboat. :?[/quote:b128da3190]

so are you saying, just because he designed her, he should have died instead of live?
officer wilde had called for more women and children, but no-one came forward, neither did any male passengers, so what was he meant to do, walk away to die even though there was an empty seat with no-one to fill it? :shock:
raven- its good that you have your own opinion and are sticking to it, it would be a boring world if everyone agreed with each other [/quote:b128da3190]

Yep. It would be a very boring world. Thank the lord everyone's different and has different opinions. :D
Posted on: 2003/12/27 5:54
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Forgive me for stepping in on this, but Ismay did [i:6a7c7513f7]not[/i:6a7c7513f7] design the [i:6a7c7513f7]Titanic.[/i:6a7c7513f7] Thomas Andrews did. Ismay owned the firm that had her built (Harland and Wolff built her).

If there were no other passengers around, as Ismay testified (and no one ever contradicted him) than his stepping into the lifeboat saved a life. Period. As Smith said during the hearings, had he not done so, the only thing that would have happened is one more person would have died.
Posted on: 2003/12/29 20:52
  •  Raven
      Raven

From ..Stalker..O.o;;
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not agreeing with this or anything because I don't know if it's a fact or just an opinion, but this is a quote out of a Titanic book I read:

"Other people were cowards. J. Bruce Ismay got into a lifeboat and left the ship, even though few men were being rescued. He said there were no other passengers waiting for that boat. Some people said he pushed his way through a crowd of men. For the rest of his life, people would whisper that he acted badly."
Posted on: 2003/12/30 3:38
  •  norangeduck
      norangeduck

From england
Group:
Registered Users
hi all, i have read all opinions posted to date, and i am just wondering where everyone bases their infomation from? True Camerons film showed no one else around when he boarded the lifeboat, but i think we all know how accurate that film was. Ismay was portrayed as a "bad man" on the film, i dont think i personally are in a position to judge him or his actions. How do you feel about it?
Posted on: 2004/1/3 12:04
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
I am basing my opinions on Ismay's and other's testimonies before the Senate committee and the BOT hearings. Anything else is heresay and not to be trusted, IMHO.
Posted on: 2004/1/3 13:53
  •  Silja
      Silja

From Germany
Group:
Registered Users
ditto
Posted on: 2004/1/6 23:40
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.