Main Menu
Recent News
Latest Articles
Random photos

Titanic.com - Titanic News, Photos, Articles & Research | Forum Index
   Titanic historic
  Do You Believe Shots Were Fired On the Titanic?

Browsing this Thread:   19 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

•  Rate Thread
      Rate this Thread
      Excellent
      Good
      Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  Captain_Jack
      Captain_Jack
Re: Do You Believe Shots Were Fired On the Titanic?

From
Group:
Registered Users
Using only the book "The Mammoth Book of Titanic" as your sole reference is very narrow minded. Geoff Tibballs is the all purpose author, he has never drove to the Titanic nor is he a recognized expert of the Titanic. He is a author of various books. I guess his books The Best Book of Tricks Ever!, Motor-racing's Strangest Races, The Mammoth Book of Humor, The Mammoth Book of Zingers, Quips, and One Liners, The Mammoth Book of Dirty, Sick, X-Rated and Politically Incorrect Jokes and The Mammoth Book of Titanic all make him a excellent Titanic reference?
If you are offended by my provocative discussions for facts and information of the Titanic then there is no need to be childish just don't reply to the posts with that kind of name calling "poor baby or childish"I will not tell you what I know are what my book says.(Mammoth Book of the Titanic)."
As I said if you rely on Geoff Tibball's book as sole reference you are limiting yourself with limited recourses and knowledge.
Here is the results of a yahoo search for the review of Geoff Tibball's book, I copy and paste it below: NOT MY WORDS

Tibballs, Geoff (editor)
The Mammoth Book of How it Happened: Titanic
Constable & Robinson, London, 2002, ISBN 1841192783

Released as The Mammoth Book of the Titanic in the US, this useful paperback collection of eyewitness accounts lives up to its name and belies Tibballs' earlier error-riddled work The Titanic, The Extraordinary Story of the Unsinkable Ship (Reader's Digest, 1997). The key difference is that this book presents contemporary accounts from a variety of sources, rather than being another conventional, by-the-numbers retelling of Titanic's history. There's a brief foreword by Tibballs, explaining the intent of the book, and then the collected text is allowed to stand in its own right. However, it's in this lack of commentary that the book's critical weakness lies: there is no context or guidance on the reliability of any of the accounts, with formal testimony presented alongside tabloid journalism."

Those are not my words but a professional review by critics. Pretty much discounts "your book" In short its a worthless book to rely on but it has nice photos. I have the book myself. Try reading more recognized resources, start with the United States Senate Inquiry and The British Wreck Inquiry.

True I'm not your friend, I'm a 51 year old Titanic Fanatic, who is a Member of the Titanic Historic Society, attended numerous seminars by Titanic experts such as Ken Marschall, Capt Charles Weeks, Capt Erik Woods, Lee Gilliland, traveled to over 2 dozen Titanic museum and artifact displays. Personally talked with 2 survivors and much more so I'm not offended if you don't want to be a friend. I only want to discuss Titanic with interested and informed fanatics.
Posted on: 2006/7/11 15:50
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Titanic King
      Titanic King

From Remyxxx777
Group:
Registered Users
Ohh well yes, Sorry if I offended you. You just want the real information and how you got it. I always use my brain for these questions and how I got them. You can always use this website I am about to give you. It contains all the people aboard the Titanic. It is really cool and a big website.
http://encyclopedia-titanica.org
Posted on: 2006/7/11 16:42
  •  h2oclub
      h2oclub

From British Columbia, Canada
Group:
Registered Users
Well done King it takes a big man to beable to appologize. And yes i do beleive shots were fired on the Titanic. as in any panic situation, shots would have been fired in the air to get the attention of the people. To restore order.
Posted on: 2006/7/11 22:46
  •  Titanic King
      Titanic King

From Remyxxx777
Group:
Registered Users
I dont know if shots were fired. I have to read more of my Titanic books. I will see if I can find that website with the inquirys on it.
Posted on: 2006/7/11 22:51

From Orange, VA (U.S.A.)
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, shots were fired. An example:

Officer Lowe fired his pistol to ward off passengers trying to climb over the Titanic's side, as his lifeboat was being lowered.

At least 2 other officers reportedly used their guns to "restore order". I'll have to dig through my Titanic books to 're-find' this, but I do remember reading about shots being fired. I have several books on Titanic, from Dr. Ballard's Discovery of the Titanic to The Complete Idiot's Guide To The Titanic (ha-ha!). The best book in my collection (by far) is Lawrence Beesly's Loss Of The SS Titanic! It has a June 1912 copyright in it! This tells all about the sinking, straight from the survivor's mouth! Like I said, it's by far the best book I got.
Posted on: 2006/7/11 23:40
  •  Captain_Jack
      Captain_Jack

From
Group:
Registered Users
On James Cameron's latest DVD release of the Collector's Edition of The Titanic on the Disc #3 in the "Market" menu you can find a 45 minute show called Fox Special, "Breaking New Ground". It is narrated by actor Peter Coyote in this seldom see show it is reported 2 days after the movie "Titanic" was released a letter was found written on April 19, 1912 by a steerage passenger a Norwegian survivor of the tragedy, Karl Albert Midtsjo he wrote he actual saw passengers shot while trying to board a life raft. I have included screen shots of the letter and reference from the Titanic Collector Set for our members to read.

I haven't started any research on Karl Midtsjo, maybe others here will find reward in research? That is pretty compelling evidense shots may have been fired. Let's see if there is more.

7 screen shots follow
Posted on: 2006/7/12 21:51
  •  Captain_Jack
      Captain_Jack

From
Group:
Registered Users
screen #1

Attached file: jpg  TITANIC_SE_DISC3 - 00hr 25min 37sec.jpg (49.43 KB)

5906_44b5613ac3360.jpg 736X552 px
Posted on: 2006/7/12 21:53
  •  Captain_Jack
      Captain_Jack

From
Group:
Registered Users

Attached file: jpg  TITANIC_SE_DISC3 - 00hr 25min 39sec.jpg (64.60 KB)

5906_44b5615e81e84.jpg 736X552 px
Posted on: 2006/7/12 21:53
  •  Captain_Jack
      Captain_Jack

From
Group:
Registered Users

Attached file: jpg  TITANIC_SE_DISC3 - 00hr 25min 43sec.jpg (54.16 KB)

5906_44b5617e9ddc5.jpg 736X552 px
Posted on: 2006/7/12 21:54
  •  Captain_Jack
      Captain_Jack

From
Group:
Registered Users

Attached file: jpg  TITANIC_SE_DISC3 - 00hr 25min 47sec.jpg (61.09 KB)

5906_44b561a5cd0f0.jpg 736X552 px
Posted on: 2006/7/12 21:55
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.