Main Menu
Recent News
Latest Articles
Random photos

Titanic.com - Titanic News, Photos, Articles & Research | Forum Index
   Titanic historic
  who's fault was it that the titanic sank?

Browsing this Thread:   219 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

•  Rate Thread
      Rate this Thread
      Excellent
      Good
      Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  30 Votes
  •  U_just_might_sink
      U_just_might_sink
Re: who's fault was it that the titanic sank?

From arizona
Group:
Registered Users
i believe also it was a collection of errors. but I also say it was slightly more Captain Smith's fault
Posted on: 2006/10/8 20:01
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  norml
      norml

From
Group:
Registered Users
I've spent many years on the water and taken many courses on
boat operation and navigation as well. I believe that the 2nd officer (murdock) was responsable for the collision. Anyone with his backround knows this. Putting the rudder hard over and ordering full astern (reverse) sealed the ships fate. When you stop the force of water from passing the rudder you greatly reduce your steering ability. The ship most likely would have remained afloat if he had struck the berg head on. Although there
were many factors that helped contibute the the sinking, like the ice warnings that were ignored,I think that murdock made a big
mistake. Huge infact!!
Posted on: 2006/10/9 2:32

From Orange, VA (U.S.A.)
Group:
Registered Users
I can't believe what I'm reading! You can't blame any one single person for the Titanic sinking! You got to remember that was a different time back then. People were arrogant, believing that their big, shiny ships were "unsinkable" and nothing nature did ever would sink them. Also, The SEVERLY outdated lifeboat regulations were still used. Infact, Titanic carried MORE lifeboats than the law required. Also, onboard Titanic, wireless messages for the passengers were top priority, over messages for navagation and for the ship and crew. Not only that, but a few iceberg warnings went undelivered. Without all warnings about ice and icebergs, Titanic and her crew didn't "have a full picture" of what was in their path. Officer Murdoch's decision, to reverse the engines was done with good intentions, but he didn't know the Titanic. He was hired on in Southampton and wasn't there for the sea trials. In the end, Titanic's demise was due to a chain of events that went wrong for her. It'd be impossible to blame a single person for the sinking.
Posted on: 2006/10/9 4:07
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
personally I think it's the captins fault he shoud have been less stupid tan he was I don't mean it as 2 much as an insult I mean he should have taken better care of the ship
Posted on: 2006/10/10 11:00
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
after waching the documentry last night the new reason why titanic sank was in the rivots as they were to week and were put under presure and o its nothin to do with the captain is was an accident waiting to happern
Posted on: 2006/10/10 13:08
  •  lilcandycane
      lilcandycane

From
Group:
Registered Users
yes the rivets wern't the best..but if titanic had not hit the iceberg(due to human error) then the rivets would have hold...there were mant who could have done their jobs better. If phillips had delivered the last message, if ismay had posted all messages, if captian smith had been on the bridge at the time, if the lookouts had seen the iceberg a few seconds earlier...if if's and but were candy and nuts, we'd all have a wonderful time
Posted on: 2006/10/10 15:48
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
true if all this stuff were done then we woudnt have this type of disscussion on titanic amagirn thow what happernd if titanic missed the iceberg and didnt hit it it proberly ended up going to the scraop yard like its famous sister the olympic or she get sunk in world war one who knows what would have happernd if titanic sank and i cant beleve the rivits were as weak as they were when they were shown on tv on what the builders did to the rivits with a bit of slag on the rivets mixture which made the rivets get weak not strionger which the builders said they had done to make them stronger but if they used this mixture on the sister ship brittanic which now sits on the sea bed in murdos in grece in the carabearn amagern what they find out about the olympic class liners if they rased the brittanic and did an examernation on the metail which titanics metal was made weaker an all but we vcant point the finger at the people who made the titanic and we cant say out about the crew were the crow nest didnt havbe no banockerlers and didnt have them as they were locked away by an offercer in a cubored who then walked off the shiop and rhat the crows nest eyes were frozern to the cold of the north atalntic

Attached file: jpg  titanic.JPG (35.03 KB)

12893_452ca905eb1cc.jpg 487X352 px
Posted on: 2006/10/11 9:19
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
they is one thing i can say is that not many people can say it was captain smiths fault and we cant say it was done on purpose as it was one of the worst winters in that time of histiory so we cant say it was they falt
Posted on: 2006/10/12 10:23
  •  U_just_might_sink
      U_just_might_sink

From arizona
Group:
Registered Users
dfghjberbjhhgregerghrt
Posted on: 2006/10/19 18:42
  •  mmcdonnell
      mmcdonnell

From
Group:
Registered Users
ok listen no duh it was a bad winter....but it was captain smiths fault...... also thought to add to that mr bruce ismay..... told him he wanted more speed and get to new tork on tuesday night.... i hope he is happy......any way cpt. smith is also at fault because he listened to him !!!!!!!!! ak then let me know if i am wrong but diddnt they move like 10 degrees south to get out of a bad path... well if they did not do that then the titanic would be here but who ever knows right????
Posted on: 2006/10/20 0:58
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.