Main Menu
Recent News
Latest Articles
Random photos


Titanic.com - Titanic News, Photos, Articles & Research | Forum Index
   Titanic historic
  who's fault was it that the titanic sank?

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

 

 Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
...
8
 

  •  Rate Thread
      Rate this Thread
      Excellent
      Good
      Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  30 Votes
Re: who's fault was it that the titanic sank?
#71

Joined: 2005/1/2
From United Kingdom
Posts: -1
Group:
Registered Users
Offline
Quote:

MGY Friend wrote:
Quote:
U_just_might_sink said: to let all you people know, we are not certian that bruce ismay had that meeting with cpt. smith. its called hollywood people.


Actually, Mrs. Lucean P. Smith stated under testimony that she overheard Ismay talking about the ship's speed when she was sitting by them in the reception room. If I remember correctly, she said Ismay stated "we did better on today"s run than we did yesterday, we will beat the Olympic (her maiden voyage record) and get into New York on Tuesday night".

So the scean in Cameron's movie was a little Hollywood, but it did seem to have at least some factual basis.


Agreed, though Ismay did denie it quite strongly,

Enquiry:

'Did you have occasion to consult with the captain about the speed or movement of the ship' Enquirer (I forget who exactly)

'Never' Ismays rebutle

I guess it is his word against her's to be honest, knowone else heard it (bar smith but he cant exactly say anything) so depends whom you want to believe, Ismay was vilanised by the press and is probably one of the most disliked charectors in recent history.

Martyn
_________________
Where the hell did my 1800 posts GO!!!!????? :P
Posted on: 2006/12/23 9:42
Create PDF from Post Print
Top
  •  TippooTib
      TippooTib
Re: who's fault was it that the titanic sank?
#72

Joined: 2004/4/27
From
Posts: -1
Group:
Registered Users
Offline
Quote:

Martyn wrote:
Quote:

MGY Friend wrote:
Quote:
U_just_might_sink said: to let all you people know, we are not certian that bruce ismay had that meeting with cpt. smith. its called hollywood people.


Actually, Mrs. Lucean P. Smith stated under testimony that she overheard Ismay talking about the ship's speed when she was sitting by them in the reception room. If I remember correctly, she said Ismay stated "we did better on today"s run than we did yesterday, we will beat the Olympic (her maiden voyage record) and get into New York on Tuesday night".

So the scean in Cameron's movie was a little Hollywood, but it did seem to have at least some factual basis.


Agreed, though Ismay did denie it quite strongly,

Enquiry:

'Did you have occasion to consult with the captain about the speed or movement of the ship' Enquirer (I forget who exactly)

'Never' Ismays rebutle

I guess it is his word against her's to be honest, knowone else heard it (bar smith but he cant exactly say anything) so depends whom you want to believe, Ismay was vilanised by the press and is probably one of the most disliked charectors in recent history.

Martyn


Actually, it was Elisabeth Lines who overheard Ismay talking with Smith about Titanic's early arrival.

Even though that particular incident was not witnessed by any other survivor, Ismay is known to have lied about not knowing if additional boilers were going to be lit that day. (In 1915 multiple survivors testified that Ismay himself told them about those additional boilers being lit.) Ismay's falsehoods regarding the boilers do not inspire much confidence in his similar denial of the truth of the Ismay-Smith conversation.

Achmet
Posted on: 2006/12/23 23:00
Create PDF from Post Print
Top
Re: who's fault was it that the titanic sank?
#73

Joined: 2003/9/14
From
Posts: -1
Group:
Registered Users
Offline
Quote:

TippooTib wrote:
Actually, it was Elisabeth Lines who overheard Ismay talking with Smith about Titanic's early arrival.

Even though that particular incident was not witnessed by any other survivor, Ismay is known to have lied about not knowing if additional boilers were going to be lit that day. (In 1915 multiple survivors testified that Ismay himself told them about those additional boilers being lit.) Ismay's falsehoods regarding the boilers do not inspire much confidence in his similar denial of the truth of the Ismay-Smith conversation.


Absolutely, Achmet. It's unfortunate that is the case, but it's entirely true.

What should always be borne in mind is that -- on top of the inevitable defects in human memory -- some of the witnesses at the enquiries into the disaster had their own reasons why they did not wish to tell the whole truth.

Best wishes,

Mark.
_________________
Mark Chirnside, Warwickshire, England.
'RMS Olympic: Titanic's Sister.'
Posted on: 2006/12/30 17:47
Create PDF from Post Print
Top
Re: who's fault was it that the titanic sank?
#74

Joined: 2003/9/14
From
Posts: -1
Group:
Registered Users
Offline
Quote:

MGY Friend wrote:
The scean in Cameron's movie was a little Hollywood, but it did seem to have at least some factual basis.


Absolutely.

Best wishes,

Mark.
_________________
Mark Chirnside, Warwickshire, England.
'RMS Olympic: Titanic's Sister.'
Posted on: 2006/12/30 17:48
Create PDF from Post Print
Top
Re: who's fault was it that the titanic sank?
#75

Joined: 2006/12/10
From NEW YORK
Posts: -1
Group:
Registered Users
Offline
no one it sank because i hit an iceberg it was nones fault so dont blame if youy dont no what happend
_________________
Titanic (soundtrack)-Theme instrumental
Posted on: 2006/12/31 18:23
Create PDF from Post Print
Top
Re: who's fault was it that the titanic sank?
#76

Joined: 2006/12/10
From NEW YORK
Posts: -1
Group:
Registered Users
Offline
it was no ones so dont blame ok
_________________
Titanic (soundtrack)-Theme instrumental
Posted on: 2006/12/31 18:24
Create PDF from Post Print
Top
Re: who's fault was it that the titanic sank?
#77

Joined: 2003/9/14
From
Posts: -1
Group:
Registered Users
Offline
Quote:

gal of titanic wrote:
no one it sank because i hit an iceberg it was nones fault so dont blame if youy dont no what happend


I'm a little confused as to which comments you're responding to? Who disputed that Titanic hit an iceberg? And who said that they did not know what happened?

I agree that an opinion (as regards what we might call a nexus of evidence) needs to be an informed one to have any merit. That is why exchanging views is so useful in increasing our collective knowledge.

Best wishes,

Mark.
_________________
Mark Chirnside, Warwickshire, England.
'RMS Olympic: Titanic's Sister.'
Posted on: 2006/12/31 23:11
Create PDF from Post Print
Top
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
...
8
 


 


 You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.



Copyright © 2006-2012 Titanic.com
Home Photos Advertise Link to us Flower Box