Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  3 Votes
Is Titanic better then the Olympic?

From Titanic's Heart
Group:
Registered Users
In my opinion, i think Titanic i s a whole lot better then the Olympic. not bcuz its bigger, more luxorius, and so on.... just bcuz.

Dedicated to all those lost and saved, that they may rest in peace.
Posted on: 2006/8/23 3:05
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  lilcandycane
      lilcandycane
Re: Is Titanic better then the Olympic?

From
Group:
Registered Users
both ships were wonderful in their own right....i don't fancy one over the other
Posted on: 2006/8/23 13:36

From Orange, VA (U.S.A.)
Group:
Registered Users
While Titanic is more famous than Olympic, it's only because of her demise. Olympic was the only one of the three to see "retirement" (if you call being scrapped 'retirement'), after 24 years. Britannic only made it to 11 months! Titanic (as we all know) only lasted 4 and a half days!

Olympic was the first (and only one) of the class to do what she was designed for. I'm not "bad mouthing" Titanic. Infact, Titanic was the one that "hooked" me onto classic liners (as well as other ships) in the first place.

Is Titanic better than the Olympic? I think it really depends on who you ask.
Posted on: 2006/8/23 16:18
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
We have talked about this type of thing before, which ship was better, would Titanic still be around today if she did not sink and so forth.

I started to think about this question last night when I read this post:

Do people really have the facination for the beauty and splendor for the Titanic for the ship itself, or do people find that the disaster makes the ship the most "awsome, beautiful ship ever created" ?

I remember watching a documentary called "Floating Palaces", and I remember one of the historians stating that the Olympic was a wonderful and beautiful ship, but throughout her career, she did not have the certain "Mauretania, Aquitania vibe" of creature comfort to her that made people absolutely love her and want to book passage on her every time.

He stated that some of the most beautiful ships did not have this quality (such as the Normandie).

If that was indeed the case, would Titanic, Olympic, or Britannic have been remembered at all if two of them did not sink.
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

www.mrmarshall.proboards62.com
Posted on: 2006/8/24 14:40

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MGY Friend wrote:
We have talked about this type of thing before, which ship was better, would Titanic still be around today if she did not sink and so forth.

I started to think about this question last night when I read this post:

Do people really have the facination for the beauty and splendor for the Titanic for the ship itself, or do people find that the disaster makes the ship the most "awsome, beautiful ship ever created" ?

I remember watching a documentary called "Floating Palaces", and I remember one of the historians stating that the Olympic was a wonderful and beautiful ship, but throughout her career, she did not have the certain "Mauretania, Aquitania vibe" of creature comfort to her that made people absolutely love her and want to book passage on her every time.

He stated that some of the most beautiful ships did not have this quality (such as the Normandie).

If that was indeed the case, would Titanic, Olympic, or Britannic have been remembered at all if two of them did not sink.

Agreed, the ships where the ultimate of there time but come on, even the 1st class passengers had to share bathroom facilities (well most of them did). I dunno how you could argue Titanic was better than Olympic, they where almost exactly alike, eventhough Titanic was 'more' luxurious than olympic, through olympics life she was upgraded to a standard higher than Titanic. E.g after Titanics loss, the changes made to olympic made her heavier, ergo making her bigger than Titanic......... Titanics magic lies in it's legend, biggest ship ever created, thee showcase of mans acheivement going down on its first journey, is what gives it it's massive intrest. Not the ship it's self, atleast I dont think so, if you disagree then why would it be better than Olympic or Britannic?
Posted on: 2006/8/25 18:33
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Martyn, good reply there, the legend is what makes Titanic what it is, in many ways, larger than life. I've heard it described as a "biblical story".

But as far as being wonderships, the Olympics were beautiful and big, but, they were just 3 of a series of giants in the 1907 - 1918 time period. Imperator, Vaterland, and Aquitania were all over the top ornate and mammoth.

Imperator was lauched just about a month after Titanic was lost. If Titanic did not sink, Imperator would probably have taken Titanic out of the headlines.
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

Posted on: 2006/8/25 23:10
  •  Titanic2006
      Titanic2006

From
Group:
Registered Users
Personally I believe that the Titanic was better than the Olympic.....cosmetically.
For instance.....the forward portion of the Titanic's A-Deck promenade was covered over to protect the passengers from the elements.
This was not so on the Olympic.....
Also with the addition of the private promenade decks on B-Deck for two of the state rooms.

Although the Titanic would not have been better and more luxurious than the Olympic of White Star Line had not of reviewed the designs.

(Some of this may not be right......if not please inform me so I dont make the same mistake twice )
Posted on: 2006/9/9 20:39

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
Personal taste I suppose, I think Britannic was the best looking of the lot, I liked the total white hull, it was the original PIMPED ride :P. Seriously though, appart from those 'ugly' life boat craines, I think it was the better looking one, that rear promenade for 3rd class was a nice addition.
Posted on: 2006/9/9 23:07
  •  S.A.M.
      S.A.M.

From down south
Group:
Registered Users
this is my opinion, they may build ships bigger more luxurious. but no other ship can be more beautiful then titanic and her sister ships.
"a world that sends you reeling, from decimated dreams, your misery and hate will kill us all. so paint it black and take it back lets shout it loud and clear. defient to the end we hear the call, to carry on"
-Welcome to the Black Parade
Posted on: 2006/9/10 15:22
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
I would have loved to have seen Britannic with her grand staircase installed. I have seen drawings of how it would have looked, more elaborate than her sisters', just gorgeous.

It would have also been nice to see how Britannic would have looked in her traditional white star colors, too bad the great war had to start, huh?
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

Posted on: 2006/9/11 14:19
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.