Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  5 Votes
Re: raising the titanic

From Orange, VA (U.S.A.)
Group:
Registered Users
Say What?! I didn't hear of the telemotor incident. Wow! I worry about what'll happen to her in the future. I mean, what's next? The next dive team goes down to find graffiti painted on her sides? This is what I mean about disrespecting the wreck. Sad, really.
If I recall right, the bell was taken from the debris field.

Quote:

MGY Friend wrote:
That's interesting Robert!

Yes, I totally agree about the distruction of the ship's mast, as well as the rest of the distruction of the hull. That was uncalled for. I guess Ballard observed that someone tried unsuccessfully to rip off the telemoter on the bridge as well.

You know, unfortunately, Pandora's box has already been opened. With all of the millions of dollars that is locked away in Titanic and no police force to really guard her, illegal salvage is something I think we are going to see more and more of.

Lets just hope that she does not end up like the Lusitania and have artifacts like her propellers made into golf clubs or wind up in a Welsh junkyard.

By the way, since you worked with the artifacts, can you tell me where they got the ship's bell from? Did they tear it off of the mast as well? Or did they pick it up in the debris field? The reason I ask is because I do not see it in the pictures of the mast and remaining crow's nest that Ballard took in 85-86.
Posted on: 2006/10/7 5:00
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah Robert, take a look at the most recent pictures of the bridge area.

The Telemoter is acutally leaning a little bit, and the flooring around it is broken apart, as if a submersable's arm was trying to bend it back and forth hoping it would break off like a tree limb!
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

www.mrmarshall.proboards62.com
Posted on: 2006/10/8 19:48
  •  HellenTurnquist
      HellenTurnquist

From chubaka, wakichuba
Group:
Registered Users
we took enough, disturbed enough. let it be. we should develope better submarines and underwater cameras so we can study her from that without disturbing anything.
Posted on: 2006/10/12 2:49

From Orange, VA (U.S.A.)
Group:
Registered Users
For those who still want to raise the Titanic, check this out. I found this just today. It's wallpaper for the movie "Raise The Titanic"!

For those who say leave the poor ship alone (like me), check it out anyway. Raise The Titanic was made before the wreck was discovered, so there's a bunch of inaccurate things (Titanic is in one piece is the biggest one). Still, I thought it was cool wallpaper. By the way, the pic is 1024x768. If your screen has a bigger resolution, I believe you can "stretch" it without it being too distorted.

Attached file: jpg  titanic.jpg (274.90 KB)

12247_452ef0982a701.jpg 1024X768 px
Posted on: 2006/10/13 2:49
  •  numbthepain
      numbthepain

From East Dublin, Georgia
Group:
Registered Users
Ok. Im gonna lay this down on the line once and for all. First off, I personally, would love to see the titanic raised off the ocean floor. I mean, yes, that is disrestpect to the people that died. But think for a minute what respect means in america today. It doesnt mean a dam thing to people. People will do anything for money at any cost these days. Disrespect is amongst the world like never before, why should we start caring now when you hear of raising the titanic? Them people are long fukin gone. And for those of you who keep saying it cant be raised, OMG where in the fukin helll have you been? Fukin mars? This is the year of 2006. Think about that number for just a minute. 2006 This is the future people. Technology is growing rapidly like never before. If they can send people to work and live in space, they can raise an old asss ship off the bottom of the ocean. Ok, now you may ask, if that is so, then why havnt they done it? If your thinking because it will cost too much money, YOUR WRONG. The simple fact of the matter is, NOBODY WANTS TOO. I mean yea, you people on the internet sit and talk about raising it all day and dreaming about it. But out in the real world, nobody really cares about the titanic no more. In fact, in a couple of years, titanic will be forgoton about. Yes i know its sad, i hate to see such a legend that was once the most powerful thing created by the hands of man, crushed into a small tiny folk tale. I mean, i grew up knowing what the titanic was. Who hasnt? You can ask anybody what the titanic is and they can at least come up with, " A ship that hit an iceburg and went down ". But when we get old and have grandchildren, you can ask them what the titanic is, and they will wonder wtf your talkin about. Its gone folks, all we have now is a select few people who still have memories and feelings for the titanic. But in a few years, it will all be washed away into an old childrens tale from the sea.
Posted on: 2006/10/13 5:42

From Orange, VA (U.S.A.)
Group:
Registered Users
Wow! I don't even know where to begin on my response. Um- It sounds like you've had a bad day and vented out on the board. I guess you can call me a prehistoric dinosaur, because I strongly believe in respecting the wreck as a grave. While you do have the right to have your own opinion, is it REALLY necessary to put profanity (f**king appears to be your favorite one) in the post? Most people come to this site looking for information on Titanic and so on. What do you think they'll do when they read the foul language in that post of yours? I'm sure they'll promptly leave the site and not come back. You might not care, but I'm sure the webmaster does! This site isn't yours. I'm sure the webmaster will agree that the foul language is not necessary! I'm sorry that you think that respect isn't around anymore, but there's still people who still respect one another (and the dead for that matter). I hope your next post won't be so hateful. I (along with other Titanic fans) would appreciate it.
Posted on: 2006/10/13 6:23
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with Robert.

If there is no respect, lets start to set an example.

Both in regards to Titanic and each other with our language.
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

www.mrmarshall.proboards62.com
Posted on: 2006/10/13 15:30
  •  rovjohn
      rovjohn

From
Group:
Registered Users
the vessel is too far gone for lifting from the ocean floor, think of all those unstable rooms and cabins would collapse quicker than a deck of playing cards everything would be lost forever and all those clues to what happend that night destroyed forever if anyone who attempts to pull the fragile hull which is buried 60ft in the sea bed.

it wouldn't be possible to recover the whole ship from that depth and the size of the vessel in her current stages of disintegration the wreck is too far gone to even start it.

its just a dream, for get the wreck, leave it be.
Posted on: 2006/10/13 20:53
  •  numbthepain
      numbthepain

From East Dublin, Georgia
Group:
Registered Users
How did i sound mean or mad or rude? I meant no disrespect by posting that topic. Yet everywhere i go someone always has some smart asss crap to say about everything. Are u just wanting to start some bs? Get your fingers out your asss and grow up dude. Yes, this post may sound very rude and disrespectful, but you asked for it. Lets just drop this conversation now and forget about this little dilemea because this is not the proper place for it. Yes i may have used a few cuss words and a negative attitude, but that doesnt make it right for you to start some crap with me about it. Just forget about it.
Posted on: 2006/10/14 4:20

From Orange, VA (U.S.A.)
Group:
Registered Users
Gladly forgotten! I'm too mature for that type of behavior. Have a nice day!
Posted on: 2006/10/14 4:34
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.