Main Menu
Recent News
Latest Articles
Random photos

Titanic.com - Titanic News, Photos, Articles & Research | Forum Index
   Titanic movie
  is all the information from the 1997 movie correct?

Browsing this Thread:   9 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

•  Rate Thread
      Rate this Thread
      Excellent
      Good
      Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
no not the whole movie was real... the love story wasnt true .. that didnt happen.. the only thing that was true and the main background for the whole story was that the ship hit an iceberg broke into two pieces, sank , and many ppl died... that was the whole point of the story .. to tell u that.. but all the other stuff like the love story, 3rd.... etc wasnt true ........
Posted on: 2003/7/23 12:44
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
much of it was true. The drunken cook who saved himself by getting intoxicated. The smoke lounges. The third class parties. All of the engine room scenes and how everything worked. The love story was just to give the movie a plot and have a point. That was one of the ONLY false things about it. Much of it was correct, or nearly correct.
Posted on: 2003/7/28 16:35
  •  jackandroseforever
      jackandroseforever

From Australia
Group:
Registered Users
If you refer to the thread of "Titanic mistakes" you can see that some parts are untrue. But its still the best movie EVER!
Posted on: 2003/12/1 23:57
  •  Raven
      Raven

From ..Stalker..O.o;;
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with jackandroseforever, it is the best movie ever! In my opinion right now..anyway...some stuff on the movie wasn't correct, and most of it was.
Posted on: 2003/12/2 0:35
  •  Megantic06
      Megantic06
Re: ERRORS

From
Group:
Registered Users
[quote:732d082d8d="Anonymous"]first of all, maragret brown wasn't called molly until after she died. second of all the "jack dawson" someone referenced earlier as being a worker on the ship was named "james dawson." there are also many other little incorrect things, but considering the main point of the movie was the love story and NOT the sinking, contrary to one reading the title, those little errors play very small parts in the movie.[size=18:732d082d8d][/size:732d082d8d][/quote:732d082d8d]

They didnt call her the "unsinkable molly brown" till after the ship sank but they did call her molly i read a biography
Posted on: 2003/12/18 2:49
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
[quote:a463bd3a83="Megantic06"][quote:a463bd3a83="Anonymous"]first of all, maragret brown wasn't called molly until after she died. second of all the "jack dawson" someone referenced earlier as being a worker on the ship was named "james dawson." there are also many other little incorrect things, but considering the main point of the movie was the love story and NOT the sinking, contrary to one reading the title, those little errors play very small parts in the movie.[size=18:a463bd3a83][/size:a463bd3a83][/quote:a463bd3a83]

They didnt call her the "unsinkable molly brown" till after the ship sank but they did call her molly i read a biography[/quote:a463bd3a83]

this is from her biography, on encyclopedia-titanica, interesting.

"The myth of "Molly" Brown has very little to do with the real life of Margaret Tobin Brown, although it speaks to her spirit. Margaret was never known as "Molly": the name was a Hollywood invention. The story began in the 1930s with the colorful pen of Denver Post reporter Gene Fowler, who created a folk tale, and sensationalist writer Carolyn Bancroft, who wrote a highly fictional account for a romance magazine that was turned into a booklet. This story enjoyed various radio broadcasts during the 1940s and was the basis for the Broadway play, "The Unsinkable Molly Brown", which eventually became the MGM movie of the same name, starring Debbie Reynolds. Even James Cameron's 1997 film "Titanic" has very little to do with the real story of Margaret Tobin Brown. After attempting to mitigate or correct the legend of "Molly," the Brown family eventually withdrew from the public and refused to speak with writers, reporters, or historians. Only recently have they agreed to cooperate with the efforts of a historian, Kristen Iversen, and allowed access to letters, scrapbooks, photographs, and many personal effects of Margaret Tobin Brown that had previously been unavailable. The first full-length biography of Margaret Tobin Brown was published in June, 1999. "
Posted on: 2003/12/19 13:47
  •  Raven
      Raven

From ..Stalker..O.o;;
Group:
Registered Users
[quote:783575612c="bess"][quote:783575612c="Megantic06"][quote:783575612c="Anonymous"]first of all, maragret brown wasn't called molly until after she died. second of all the "jack dawson" someone referenced earlier as being a worker on the ship was named "james dawson." there are also many other little incorrect things, but considering the main point of the movie was the love story and NOT the sinking, contrary to one reading the title, those little errors play very small parts in the movie.[size=18:783575612c][/size:783575612c][/quote:783575612c]

They didnt call her the "unsinkable molly brown" till after the ship sank but they did call her molly i read a biography[/quote:783575612c]

this is from her biography, on encyclopedia-titanica, interesting.

"The myth of "Molly" Brown has very little to do with the real life of Margaret Tobin Brown, although it speaks to her spirit. Margaret was never known as "Molly": the name was a Hollywood invention. The story began in the 1930s with the colorful pen of Denver Post reporter Gene Fowler, who created a folk tale, and sensationalist writer Carolyn Bancroft, who wrote a highly fictional account for a romance magazine that was turned into a booklet. This story enjoyed various radio broadcasts during the 1940s and was the basis for the Broadway play, "The Unsinkable Molly Brown", which eventually became the MGM movie of the same name, starring Debbie Reynolds. Even James Cameron's 1997 film "Titanic" has very little to do with the real story of Margaret Tobin Brown. After attempting to mitigate or correct the legend of "Molly," the Brown family eventually withdrew from the public and refused to speak with writers, reporters, or historians. Only recently have they agreed to cooperate with the efforts of a historian, Kristen Iversen, and allowed access to letters, scrapbooks, photographs, and many personal effects of Margaret Tobin Brown that had previously been unavailable. The first full-length biography of Margaret Tobin Brown was published in June, 1999. "[/quote:783575612c]

Wow..interesting.. :shock:
Posted on: 2003/12/19 16:38
  •  Megantic06
      Megantic06

From
Group:
Registered Users
lol well i guess the biography was wrong because thru out the whole thing it said she was called molly.. i checked it out of a library so i dont remember what it was called but i will try to find out!

lol to raven
Posted on: 2003/12/20 4:48
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
[quote:093c584bf9="Megantic06"]lol well i guess the biography was wrong because thru out the whole thing it said she was called molly.. i checked it out of a library so i dont remember what it was called but i will try to find out!

lol to raven [/quote:093c584bf9]

lol the moral of the story, is not to believe everything you read, i have a book that sits on my shelf called "TITANIC & her sisters Olyimpic & Britannic" its one of the first books i read about Titanic and i took everything as fact, it wasn't until i came into contact with Titanic researchers, that i realised a good deal of it was inncorrect, and as a result i had to do a lot of research to find what was correct :D
Posted on: 2003/12/20 13:29
  •  Megantic06
      Megantic06

From
Group:
Registered Users
Yea i gotcha...

I hate when i read things that are incorrect, because from then on out the incorrect information is always stuck in my head and i'm never quite sure again!

*maybe i'm a little on the slow side*

haha, but i do thank you for the information!
Posted on: 2003/12/21 5:52
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.