Main Menu
Recent News
Latest Articles
Random photos

Titanic.com - Titanic News, Photos, Articles & Research | Forum Index
   Titanic movie
  is all the information from the 1997 movie correct?

Browsing this Thread:   8 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

•  Rate Thread
      Rate this Thread
      Excellent
      Good
      Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  Nightfire
      Nightfire
... is the movie mostly truthful?

From
Group:
Registered Users
[b:67c63cfde9]YES. [/b:67c63cfde9] it is.

No one knows what really happened to Captain Smith or Lt. Murdoch.

Great care was taken to reproduce the ship's interiors and exteriors and capture the characters' natures and probable language syntax. The suite rented to the Dewitt-Bukaters and Hockley was shown a little large (but that's what happens when cameras have to navigate a set, too) but the decor was pretty dead-on (not to be punny).

Part of the reason "Titanic" cost a fortune to make was because Cameron wanted it to be as near as possible to the real thing, right down to having the same carpet company reproduce the floors for the movie.
Posted on: 2003/12/21 6:31
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  TitanicSinker1912
      TitanicSinker1912

From USA
Group:
Registered Users
no deffinetly not! some of it was though. some ppl were real like captain smith mr. andrews, officer lowe, and murdoch and stuff. some shot though i noticed were takin of real pics from the real sinking i hav sum awesome pics of the real titanic if u want me to email u some then email me at
Posted on: 2004/1/11 2:52
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
I did alot of research on the film last year.
In my opinion (and JC) almost everything that we see [b:4e956e09b9]around[/b:4e956e09b9] the fictional characters is real. :D
Posted on: 2004/2/25 16:40
  •  LColburn
      LColburn
Re: ... is the movie mostly truthful?

From United States
Group:
Registered Users
[quote:593b1bce39="Nightfire"][b:593b1bce39]YES. [/b:593b1bce39] it is.

No one knows what really happened to Captain Smith or Lt. Murdoch.

Great care was taken to reproduce the ship's interiors and exteriors and capture the characters' natures and probable language syntax. The suite rented to the Dewitt-Bukaters and Hockley was shown a little large (but that's what happens when cameras have to navigate a set, too) but the decor was pretty dead-on (not to be punny).

Part of the reason "Titanic" cost a fortune to make was because Cameron wanted it to be as near as possible to the real thing, right down to having the same carpet company reproduce the floors for the movie.[/quote:593b1bce39]

Actually that suite is the famed "Millionaire's Suite" located on B deck, which features a private promenade. It was originally reserved for J.P. Morgan, the American railroad tycoon and owner of the White Star Line (and thus, the RMS [i:593b1bce39]Titanic[/i:593b1bce39]), but he fell ill just before the voyage and the suite was left vacant during the crossing. So in all reality, it made perfect sense to put Hockley there.

Visually and historically the movie is dead on with a couple minor exceptions. For example, Molly Brown did not just sit down and take Hitchens' commands. She DID organize the women rowing and that boat DID return to pickup survivors.

That was one of the most glaring errors made and I'm surprised Cameron, with all his attention to detail elsewhere, chose to overlook it.

But, as he said in one tv special regarding the making of the movie, to assure everything was included historically and made correct, the movie would have been far longer and drawn out. For what it's worth, I still consider the movie to be the best of all time. :)
Posted on: 2004/4/17 3:30
  •  Rosie1912
      Rosie1912

From
Group:
Registered Users
There are several factual errors..

As stated, Molly Brown was not known as Molly until after her death.
3rd class would NOT be mingling with the 1st class.
Church services were open to all, not just 1st class.

Ruth, Rose, Cal, molly, Andrews have lunch in the Palm Court/Verandah on A Deck. These were not used for dining, although passengers could order tea or a small snack.

During this same scene Cal orders lamb with mint sauce for himself and Rose. Lamb was only available for dinner on the ship, while mutton was reserved for lunch. The lamb was prepared in the D-Deck galley and would not have been served in the Palm Court.

Workers in the Titanic's engine room had to wear thick protective clothing to shield them from the heat generated by the engines

Jack is supposedly held prisoner in the Master-at-Arms' office, which is depicted as having a porthole. On the Titanic, this room was an interior room and hence would have no portholes.

Jack claims to have gone ice fishing on Lake Wissota, which wasn't created until five years after the Titanic sank.

The parlor suite occupied by Rose, Ruth, and Cal in the film (B52, B54, B56) was in reality occupied by J. Bruce Ismay himself.

John Jacob Astor is last shown inside the ship when it sank. This is inaccurate becuase his body was crushed by the first smokestack. His body was identified by the initials sewn on the lapel of his jacket.

Just to name a few........
Posted on: 2004/4/17 11:37
  •  freitas4
      freitas4
It's a movie!

From Temecula, California city of red light runners
Group:
Registered Users
While the main event such as the ship hitting an iceberg and sinking are real, some real people were portrayed, and many people did die, the fact remains that this was a movie. There were things in it that are going to add to the EMOTIONAL aspect of the movie. Movies are made to get people to feel a certain way and have a certain reaction, therefore who was called what and at what time they were called it is trivial. I myself have found quite a few inconsistencies but you can't expect a director to bother with minor details when the minor details are not going to change the outcome of the story told. Did you know that JJ Astor was thought to have been killed by that falling funnel because when they found his body, it was so damaged and soot covered, the only way he was identified was by his diamond ring? Bruce Ismay was also cleared of any wrong doing by both the US and British investigations but has always been known as the "villain" of the Titanic disaster and is portrayed that way in the movie. I mention these 2 things because the first one, while not accurately portrayed in the movie, doesn't really matter as far as the love story plot goes. The second has to do with the emotional aspect of Titanic being a movie. A person who doesn't know much Titanic history is going to see Ismay's actions in the movie and think "oh what a jerk! Talking the captain into going faster and blah blah.... and he snuck into a lifeboat " That person will aim blame right at Ismay which is what many did back in 1912. The movie is, as movies are, full of romanticism and emotion and sometimes details are overlooked, especially trivial details, to make the main story a success (which it obviously was).
Posted on: 2004/4/20 18:11
  •  Chasethecat
      Chasethecat
there was alot of facts

From
Group:
Registered Users
:shock: [color=darkblue:228ad30ec0][/color:228ad30ec0][b:228ad30ec0]Some facts: amount of life boats, positively true. the love story of the movie was based on a survivors story. i'm sure there's few more facts. Like one more i know is that bruce Ismay did order Capt Smith to speed up for his precious headlines, and when the liner was going down, he did hop on a life boat. [/b:228ad30ec0]
Posted on: 2004/8/18 18:12

From Tallmadge, Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
I thought the Captain was just pressured into going faster, not ordered. And, I've never heard of the love story being based on real fact. Who's account was it???

My Website.. Titanic: Truth, Myths and Legends
Posted on: 2004/8/19 22:42

From
Group:
Registered Users
I back up what nosie Rosie said thats what i also thought
Posted on: 2004/8/20 10:20
  •  Rosie1912
      Rosie1912

From
Group:
Registered Users
Smith was never ordered to go faster. He was pressured, it was suggested. But Ismay was not the "boss" of him so to say to tell him how to run his ship. As it states in the film, which IMO I believe is as true as it can get

"Titanic must make headlines. But ofcourse I'm only a passenger, I leave it up to your good officers to decide what's best"
Posted on: 2004/8/20 11:24
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.