if they would hit it dead on cuz the ship is suppose be to unbrakeable
Posted on: 2003/9/7 19:23
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Squall
      Squall

From Near London, England
Group:
Registered Users
[quote:379f47cdc8="singerangel181"]if they would hit it dead on cuz the ship is suppose be to unbrakeable[/quote:379f47cdc8]

If I remember correctly, someone in a previous thread mentioned that the "Unbreakable" reference was just something that the Media came up with.

The "Guest" person (Who should sign-up :) ) does have a fair point.
Posted on: 2003/9/7 23:07
  •  singerangel181
      singerangel181

From columbus ga usa
Group:
Registered Users
squall i know for a fact that the titanic is unbrakeable.
Posted on: 2003/9/9 21:22
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
[quote:26f330fa14="singerangel181"]squall i know for a fact that the titanic is unbrakeable.[/quote:26f330fa14]

so then why is she broken up on the sea bed?, i would love to see these *facts* you have. singerangel181, i dont want to offend you but i've read some other posts you've made which you claim to know things for a fact but you cant support your claims. Squall is correct, Titanic being "unsinkable" was something the media come up with, because she had been built with a double keel, and 16? (i cant remember of the top of my head lol) watertight compartments, so that in the event that she should be gashed open, she could stay afloat with any four compartments flooded. The jounalists and reporters then took this to mean that she was Unsinkable.
Posted on: 2003/9/9 23:40
  •  singerangel181
      singerangel181

From columbus ga usa
Group:
Registered Users
ok it's on the ocean floor cuz the capt told his ppl to trun the ship.and how do i know cuz my dad is a exnavy person and he knows stuff like that and my dad is very very smart.
Posted on: 2003/9/10 17:56
  •  LightCanvas
      LightCanvas
Smith's Fault

From
Group:
Registered Users
The true villain in this tragedy was J P Morgan,the Yank that bought White Star to profit from the immigrant trade[Capitalism in a period of recurring collapse at this time]-Cunard offering a faster transit with less capacity!! Capt. Smith was Commodore on his last trip with the pride of the Fleet,the CEO on board ! Timetables for NY arrival.money lost,drive on or drive under! Murdoch was watch officer,made the fatal mistake of ordering full reverse of the engines! Lost the thrust of the central Parsons Turbine[flow across the rudder-lose of steering]!
Posted on: 2003/9/11 3:51
  •  singerangel181
      singerangel181

From columbus ga usa
Group:
Registered Users
ok belive u.
Posted on: 2003/9/12 2:45

From
Group:
Registered Users
Hi,

[quote:c75f063cb8]The true villain in this tragedy was J P Morgan,the Yank that bought White Star to profit from the immigrant trade[Capitalism in a period of recurring collapse at this time]-Cunard offering a faster transit with less capacity!! [/quote:c75f063cb8]

I'm not sure how you think that Morgan was the 'villain.' Aside from gaining control of the White Star Line for profit? I'm not sure either how you think Cunard offered a faster crossing with a lower capacity -- Mauretania was admittedly faster, yet her third class capacity was higher than Olympic's in 1911.

[quote:c75f063cb8]Capt. Smith was Commodore on his last trip with the pride of the Fleet[/quote:c75f063cb8]

Smith wasn't the 'Commodore' as you put it. Rather, he was White Star's Senior Captain. The line didn't use the former title after 1889 until it was reinstituted in the mid-1920s. 'Commodore' was an informal title. While he was certainly close to retirement, the belief that it was his last voyage has been questioned.

[quote:c75f063cb8]Timetables for NY arrival.money lost,drive on or drive under! [/quote:c75f063cb8]

I'm not sure how a timetable creates a disaster, unless you're implying that speed caused the sinking. I don't understand what you mean with the rest.

[quote:c75f063cb8]Murdoch was watch officer,made the fatal mistake of ordering full reverse of the engines! [/quote:c75f063cb8]

Since there's no evidence that the engines were reversed prior to the collision, I'd hardly call it a fatal mistake. The 'full astern' order is based solely on Boxhall's post-collision recollection of the bridge telegraph readings -- while no one in the engine room supported that version. (See Scott, and Dillon, British Enquiry).

[quote:c75f063cb8]Lost the thrust of the central Parsons Turbine[flow across the rudder-lose of steering]![/quote:c75f063cb8]

It takes time for the turbine to 'wind down' in any case, with the central propeller presumably revolving for a time following any 'stop' order. Depending on your interpretation of the time between the iceberg sighting and the collision, IMHO it's unlikely that there was much of an effect on the ship's steering capability.

Kindest regards,

Mark.
Posted on: 2003/9/15 12:05
  •  Elizabeth Swann
      Elizabeth Swann

From England
Group:
Registered Users
[quote:ab0607f7f1="singerangel181"]ok it's on the ocean floor cuz the capt told his ppl to trun the ship.and how do i know cuz my dad is a exnavy person and he knows stuff like that and my dad is very very smart.[/quote:ab0607f7f1]

My dad's ex navy as well. He's also ex Army.

Anyway i think they were in the wrong place, at the wrong time as someone else said.

:?:
Posted on: 2003/9/16 19:45
  •  Will
      Will

From
Group:
Registered Users
First my credentials; I served in the U.S. Navy, and while this does not in and of itself make me correct in everything nautical, I can say without fear of contradiction that anything made of metal that loses its watertight integrity will absolutely sink. Thus it was with the ill fated Titanic. Whether she was poorly designed, poorly captained, or a victim of poor seamanship, she still met the same fate. She remains an enigma and serves as a warning to us all not to be come arogant or complacent. The sea is a cruel taskmaster and does not excuse mistakes. Many more modern ships have also perished at sea and many more will probably meet the same end. Safety foremost should be our constant cry whenever men go down to the sea in ships.
I appreciate your allowing me to partake in what I feel is a very needed expression of interest in a distant tragedy.
Posted on: 2003/9/20 17:03
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.