Posted on: 2006/12/11 21:38
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  lilcandycane
      lilcandycane
Re: why did captin smith let the titanc sink

From
Group:
Registered Users
There are a lot of topics about this. There were many to blame that night not just the captain. I don't care what you saw on the movie Titanic there was a bit of that movie that was historicaly wrong.
Posted on: 2006/12/11 21:59

From NEW YORK
Group:
Registered Users
I HAVENT EVEN SEEN THAT MOVIE
Posted on: 2006/12/11 23:02
  •  lilcandycane
      lilcandycane

From
Group:
Registered Users
This whole topic is silly..your poll has the same answers many times. and you don't need to be so defensive..I am trying to answer your questions but they don't make sense half the time. There was no radar so why is that even an option and saying the captain didn't care for anyone but himself is an uneducated thing to say. Every person on Titanic was someone's family and we need to keep that in perspective no matter what our personal views are. There are a few people here who had family on titanic and we don't want to offend anyone but trashing those who sailed on her.
Posted on: 2006/12/11 23:27
  •  S.A.M.
      S.A.M.

From down south
Group:
Registered Users
Captain Smith didn't let the titanic sink it was an accindent no one person is to blame.
"a world that sends you reeling, from decimated dreams, your misery and hate will kill us all. so paint it black and take it back lets shout it loud and clear. defient to the end we hear the call, to carry on"
-Welcome to the Black Parade
Posted on: 2006/12/13 19:02
  •  hevmckev
      hevmckev

From
Group:
Registered Users
You silly little girl.What was he supposed to do?Jump in the water and hold her up???????????Nothing was going to stop her from sinking and if you really knew everything like you claim to you would realise that.NOTHING WAS GOING TO STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted on: 2007/3/10 22:16
  •  Raz
      Raz

From
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

lilcandycane wrote:
This whole topic is silly..your poll has the same answers many times. and you don't need to be so defensive..I am trying to answer your questions but they don't make sense half the time. There was no radar so why is that even an option and saying the captain didn't care for anyone but himself is an uneducated thing to say. Every person on Titanic was someone's family and we need to keep that in perspective no matter what our personal views are. There are a few people here who had family on titanic and we don't want to offend anyone but trashing those who sailed on her.

She's defensive because she's searching the answers up on Google.
Posted on: 2007/4/9 17:32
  •  Captain Dan
      Captain Dan

From Maryland, United States
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gal of titanic wrote:
i dunnoo you chose awnser the poll

All of the good options were overlooked before the collision. One, shutting down the engines and reversing them eliminated the center screw, which did not have a reverse gear. That cost the ship some of her effectiveness in steering, as that center screw provided a directional thrust in concert with the rudder. Without the center screw, the rudder was too small.

Another option would have been to hit the berg head on, which would have been jarring and likely caused injury, the ship would have stayed afloat.

Of course the best option would have been to heed all the ice warnings that Titanic received well before the collision.

Captain Smith didn't have too many options after the collision. I saw a show where some student's were tasked with the job of devising a way to save the Titanic. They suggested pulling the ship up along side the ice berg and using the cranes to attach the ship to the iceberg. If it could have been done, I suppose that in theory, the ship could have been saved. On the other hand, it is not accepted practice to get close to an iceberg with a passenger liner.

I didn't vote because none of your poll options were applicable. Radar didn't exist yet, I don't see Captain Smith as having been particularly egotistical, and I don't feel that he really let the ship sink. I had an answer, which I have posted above, so 'I dunno' wasn't an option for me either.

Daniel
Posted on: 2007/4/9 18:49
  •  Kathi
      Kathi

From Germany
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe someone should make a new topic with a poll "Is gal of titanic getting on your nerves?" "Yes" "No" "Sometimes"

You ask so silly questions - how old are you? Nine?
And why are you here, talking about the best movie ever, TITANIc, when you HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN IT?!

Now I feel better.

Posted on: 2007/4/10 18:51
  •  Mac G
      Mac G

From New York
Group:
Registered Users
Actually, if the Titanic hit the berg head on...It would have killed anyone within 100 ft of the ship due to impact. Murdoch, a true hero did what he was taught to do. Avoid the Ice. We do know now that the ship would have turned faster, if the engines were not stopped.

"Yes, I wonder why a ship like that would want to fire a rocket?"

(A Night to Remember, Stone & Gibson)
Posted on: 2007/4/15 4:33
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.