Main Menu
Recent News
Latest Articles
Random photos

Titanic.com - Titanic News, Photos, Articles & Research | Forum Index
   Titanic news
  Is filming the Titanic wreck disrespectful?

Browsing this Thread:   61 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

•  Rate Thread
      Rate this Thread
      Excellent
      Good
      Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  2 Votes
Re: Is filming the Titanic wreck disrespectful?

From The Sea
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MGY Friend wrote:
Many people on this website believe that taking artifacts from the Titanic shipwreck is wrong, because people think it is disturbing a gravesite.

However, is our constant filming of the shipwreck disrespectful the the ship as well?

Other shipwrecks like the U.S.S. Arizona and Edmund Fitzgerald do not allow dives into the wreck out of respect for the dead.

Should we treat Titanic like this too?

We can say that taking photos causes no harm but this may not be the case. Submersables landing on the boatdeck may be causing the deck to crumble more quickly than usual.

When people like James Cameron send their ROVs into the ship, they constantly knock down rusticles and bump into things.

If Titanic is going to be considered a Tomb, then why don't we keep out of her?

well i wouldn't say a tomb but a site where many people died. all people on the titanic are dead now and the bodys are gone. so i think the TITANIC SHOULD BE RAISED to the surface, repaired, and put it on a floating mueseum. it has been tried before but i think all they got was a piece of the hull.then it would be ok i guess to take the items but they would put them on display in THE EXACT MUSEUM. so it wouldn't exactly be taking it right?
Posted on: 2007/2/26 20:32
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
DannyJ wrote: well i wouldn't say a tomb but a site where many people died. all people on the titanic are dead now and the bodys are gone. so i think the TITANIC SHOULD BE RAISED to the surface, repaired, and put it on a floating mueseum. it has been tried before but i think all they got was a piece of the hull.then it would be ok i guess to take the items but they would put them on display in THE EXACT MUSEUM. so it wouldn't exactly be taking it right?

Well Danny, it is because those bodies are now gone that many people think that the ship should remain untouched.

This is because those Titanic victims who's bodies were not found do not have an actual grave like say our grandmother who is buried and has a tombstone.

So, many people believe that the Titanic wreck is their real gravesite, rather than a memorial on land somewhere where there never was no remains.

Have you seen the pictures of the pairs of shoes from the debris field? Each pair of shoes marks a place where a body landed.
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

www.mrmarshall.proboards62.com
Posted on: 2007/2/26 20:56

From The Sea
Group:
Registered Users
You mean those trees with shoes from 9/11? i live in NY and if thats not what you mean than i dunno. anyways i think it would be okay to lift the titanic and maybe hav it float across from there to NY and then be put in a museum so it shows everyone finally made it to NY + america.
Posted on: 2007/2/27 0:37
  •  h2oclub
      h2oclub

From British Columbia, Canada
Group:
Registered Users
Well Danny, what MGY Friend is trying to say is that each pair of those shoes was at one time attached to a pair of dead feet.
Meaning that when the person drowned after the accident and sank to the bottom of the ocean with there shoes on. The body has rotted away and left the shoes as a memorial to the place a body lye.
Thereby making the site a grave site noone removed the bodies. even if the bodies are gone eaten by fish or whatever, its still a grave site.
Now as far as raising her FORGET IT! The ship is in three sections on the sea floor 2.5 miles under the ocean!!
If they had the money { which by the way would cost hundreds of millions } The ship is rusting away at a rapid rate and would not make it back to the surface without breaking into little bits.LOL
Posted on: 2007/2/27 1:25

From The Sea
Group:
Registered Users
They raised a piece of the hull so if bringing it whole up they can take it piece by piece and those bodys meann nothing. it was just a shell carrying a soul. that soul is in heaven now. the grave site is nothing. like they say... Ashes to Ashes Dust to Dust
Posted on: 2007/2/27 20:27
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
You make a good argument Danny!

Some people think that taking stuff from the Titanic is preserving her memory.

However, is just because a body is no longer there make the place any less special?

Think of a cemetary. The bodies and coffins actuall do rot away, especially if the ground is wet, and bones can dissolve.

So would it be ok to take a tombstone from a grave if this happens?

Well, many people that died on the Titanic do not have a tombstone. So, some people think that the ship itself should remain as one as long as it can.

But Titanic is rusting away, and will soon crumple to dust. So even Titanic will not be a tombstone forever.

Also, because of the rust, Titanic is too fragile to raise whole. It would just fall apart. They could try to do it piece by piece, but it would cost more money than the world probably has!

Its good though you think about these questions. My friends and I here like to talk about Titanic!
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

www.mrmarshall.proboards62.com
Posted on: 2007/2/27 22:06
  •  Bea Kratz2
      Bea Kratz2

From
Group:
Registered Users
YES YES YES.
Just because some people in this world want to get RICH and they do it by filming something that shouldn't be filmed doesn't mean we HAVE to see what they're filming. I don't think it's good that they filmed it for the movie. I don't mind that they filmed it to learn more about what happened and see what was left behind and not rotted. I think that it's ok for research purposes but definetely not for money filming purposes. (although I think Titanic was good... It's my FAVORITE movie. ) sorry I just LOVE smileys!!
Posted on: 2007/3/8 21:23
  •  Titanic King
      Titanic King

From Remyxxx777
Group:
Registered Users
It depends. To raise it is disrespectful and to take stuff is also respectful, but if is to save it in any way is respectful. In my opinion, I think Titanic should be saved.
Posted on: 2007/3/10 3:55
  •  Mrs. Andrews
      Mrs. Andrews

From Denmark
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DANNYJ wrote:
They raised a piece of the hull so if bringing it whole up they can take it piece by piece and those bodys meann nothing. it was just a shell carrying a soul. that soul is in heaven now. the grave site is nothing. like they say... Ashes to Ashes Dust to Dust

For some people those bodies mean something, and so does the Titanic. Those people down there is probabely someones grandfather, grandmother... you name it. Bringing the ship up to the surface will be like disturbing the tomb peace - even though the bodies now are gone. I think the ship should stay were it landed for nealy 95 years ago, it must also be the final wish of those people who perised that fateful night.
It's just my oppinion.
Posted on: 2007/4/3 11:59
  •  Captain Dan
      Captain Dan

From Maryland, United States
Group:
Registered Users
Debating about raising the ship is folly; it won't happen. If we really need to have an Olympic class liner raised, why not Britannic, which isn't a grave site? That ship is preserved far better Titanic. I don't personally feel that we need to raise that one either, but that may actually be possible, while the Titanic is beyond hope of ever seeing the light of day again.

Back to the OP, I'm rather torn. Filming it keeps the memory of those lost alive for generations that would otherwise have forgotten them. It reminds us of the tragic end which befell them and in a way is a memorial in itself, as it continues to tell their story. On the other hand, it seems that as a grave site, it should receive more respect.

Removing objects from the wreckage is just plain wrong. While I do agree with Danny J about the body being simply a shell, those bodies house people who were loved and cared for. Who were mourned when the ship went down. The families of the lost fully expected that the ship would remain a grave for them and be honoured as such. The finding of the ship allowed those families some sense of closure. Disturbing the wreck by removing artifacts from it is disrespectful to those families.

I understand the desire for relics; they allow us to touch a piece of the past. But the Titanic is gone and her passengers (those who didn't get rescued) are dead. Let them rest.

Daniel
Posted on: 2007/4/3 17:37
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.