Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  Funkky
      Funkky
collision in southampton?

From FRANCE
Group:
Registered Users
[color=blue:7cc4b80308]Did the titanic really avoid a collision even before it left Southampton port? can you tell me about this and i also heard about a story telling that before the departure someone knew that the ship would sink, is it true?
Have you got any information about the bad luck of the titanic?

Thanks[/color:7cc4b80308]
Posted on: 2004/3/9 14:02
Create PDF from Post Print

From Tallmadge, Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
That part about the collision is true. When it was leaving the suction from the Titanic pulled a fishing boat, I think it was, toward her. And there was someone who "knew" it was going to sink. Although, it was more a terrible feeling that something bad was going to happen rather than "it's definately going to sink". There was also a small coal fire in a coal bunker. I don't know if you knew that. But it was well under control on the night of April 14th.

Of course, other people here would be able to tell you more details about these things. Anthony, Bess or Teamtunafish would be able to give more details.
Posted on: 2004/3/9 15:22
  •  titanic 4 ever
      titanic 4 ever

From
Group:
Registered Users
[quote:eb393f3f4b="JByard"]That part about the collision is true. When it was leaving the suction from the Titanic pulled a fishing boat, I think it was, toward her. And there was someone who "knew" it was going to sink. Although, it was more a terrible feeling that something bad was going to happen rather than "it's definately going to sink". There was also a small coal fire in a coal bunker. I don't know if you knew that. But it was well under control on the night of April 14th.

Of course, other people here would be able to tell you more details about these things. Anthony, Bess or Teamtunafish would be able to give more details.[/quote:eb393f3f4b]

I guess with the coal fire on the ship; it was common back in those days for a fire to be on the ship.
Posted on: 2004/3/9 15:46
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
If Titanic had collided with the New York, the maiden voyage would of ended in southampton rather than a disaster in the North Atlantic ocean. :D
Posted on: 2004/3/9 18:58
  •  titanic 4 ever
      titanic 4 ever

From
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think it was that bad.
Posted on: 2004/3/9 19:10

From Tallmadge, Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
The New York was a fishing boat. Thats HUGE compared to the Titanic. That's like the size of an ant compared to humans.
Posted on: 2004/3/9 21:09
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
The SS New York was a passenger ship owned by the (I think) Leyland Line (owned by IMM).
I'll try to post some more information on the SS New york tomorrow. :D
Posted on: 2004/3/10 0:36

From Tallmadge, Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
HA, I was on the phone when I posted my last thing....when I said HUGE I meant SMALL....lol....anyhow...Titanic was the largest passenger ship correct? Besides, ,there are different levels of collisions, just like car accidents. Just because it collided with another ship by no means automatically suggests it was a huge collision.
Posted on: 2004/3/10 14:39
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
The SS New York was a fairly big ship, so if she had hit Titanic there would have been a considerable amount of damage. :D
The collision would have been similar to Olympic's collision the year before, even the same captain and harbour pilot were on the bridge. :D
Posted on: 2004/3/10 14:51

From Tallmadge, Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
In the research I've done, many sources say that a bad collision was avoided. However, there was interaction between the two ships as they were able to stop anything fatal from happening. So, you are correct that a head on collision was avoided. But there was an incident.

Wednesday, April 10th, 1912, 12:00pm: Titanic cast off mooring lines from the pier at Southampton and is towed out to the river Test. As she approaches the New York, the New York's mooring lines snap, and swings stern-first toward the Titanic. Collision is averted, and Titanic steams out to sea at approximately 1:30pm. http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A372584

Titanic's departure was not entirely without incident. The tugs pulled her off the quay and into the dredged channel, and she was gathering way under her own steam, when she passed the American Line ship New York. The interaction between the two great ships dragged the New York off the quay and parted her stern wires, but Titanic stopped engines and a collision was avoided.
http://www.compass.dircon.co.uk/1titanic.htm
Posted on: 2004/3/10 17:35
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.