Poster Thread
  •  Dougal
      Dougal
Absinthe

From
Group:
Registered Users
Hello!

I am seeking help with a question about drinks served on the Titanic...my question is did they serve absinthe or not? Absinthe has a strange history and I am keen to know if it was available.Does anyone know where I can find a document listing the drink served?

Thank you!
Posted on: 2007/1/26 11:20
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend
Re: Absinthe

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
I really cannot answer your question for sure regarding if absinthe was offered on Titanic. I can only speculate.

It seems to me that since absinthe had kind of a bad stigma labled to it in the early 1900s (like rumors of making men go crazy and killing their families), that if would be seen by "polite society" or the guilded age not to be a proper beverage (not compared to brandy or conaqe).

But then again, this is only speculation, do not take my word for it.

If you do not get a list of the alcohol they served on Titanic from anyone on the web, you might want to look at a bookstore for a book called "The Mammoth Titanic Book". I have heared reviews that the book is very detailed when describing its cargo (So much that your average beginning Titanic student is bored while reading it).
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

www.mrmarshall.proboards62.com
Posted on: 2007/1/26 16:30
  •  Dougal
      Dougal

From
Group:
Registered Users
MGY Friend, thank you. I had not thought that absinthe drinkers were likely at the time to be considered outside of polite society. The green drink was about to be outlawed and there must have been plenty of scaremongering around about the wicked French alcohol.

Actually, your thoughts have intrigued me further. I wonder if absinthe was available on the other decks? Thank you again for your thoughtful reply; I will continue my research. Absinthe was still popular in Europe 1912; this led to many faux absinthes with peculiar components in them to hit the drinks trolley. I believe that this is the origin of the myth that absinthe sends you crazy?
Posted on: 2007/1/27 15:07
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Dougal, if you have not already, you might want to post these questions on other forums, just to get the advice from more knowlegable Titanic buffs than I.

As far as 2nd and 3rd class possible having absinthe, its hard to say. It has been said that if you were in 2nd class you were trying to act like a first class person, and if there was a stigma on absinthe (which I do not know for sure), it may have passed over into second class and maybe even third.

It would be interesting to know how much the drink cost in 1912. If it was rather expensive I do not see it being prevalent in 3rd class bars.

I think if class of people on the ship could possibly have someone who drank absinthe, it might be the stokers at the boilers.

Historian John Maxtone-Graham stated in his book "The Only Way to Cross" that the "black gang" on coal burning ships had a very bad reputation as being a very crude, ruthless, rough bunch, getting into drunken fights at the drop of a hat.

Yet again, the White Star had a policy that any employee caught drinking onboard ship would be terminated, so it's hard to say.

Please let me know if you find anything in your research!
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

www.mrmarshall.proboards62.com
Posted on: 2007/1/27 22:47
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.