Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  Betty
      Betty
Class re: Titanic re: marconi operators

From Albany, New York
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know if anyone discussed this before, but if the class and by that I mean: If the operators Philips and Bride did not have to send so many messages out for lst class and thus were backlogged, do you think they would have paid more attention to the ice warnings. And, while I know the marconi operators did get the SOS messages out there to ships in the area, if Phillips I believe had not "yelled" at the operator of the California, do you think that ship would have at least made a try to come to their rescue?
Betty
Posted on: 2004/3/12 17:32
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Well the pair of them were hired to [i:b0542225ca]do[/i:b0542225ca] those first class messages. The ice warnings were sent to the bridge as a coutesy, policy of the Marconi Company; believe it or not, Bride and Phillips did not [i:b0542225ca]have[/i:b0542225ca] to do it. (Check the ship's roster - they were part of the Victualling Department, along with the waiters). So I'm not sure if they would or wouldn't have. I think more would probably gotten to the bridge, but from what I've seen, the bridge wasn't paying any too much notice to the ones they [i:b0542225ca]had[/i:b0542225ca].

As for the [i:b0542225ca]Californian[/i:b0542225ca], yes, they may have sent more messages - but don't forget, one of the reasons Phillips had his hissy fit was that the [i:b0542225ca]Californian[/i:b0542225ca] was coming in so strongly he actually had to tear his earphones off. Not condusive to long conversations.
Posted on: 2004/3/12 18:06
  •  Betty
      Betty

From Albany, New York
Group:
Registered Users
yes Teamtuna,
I realize they were hired by Marconi, not Titanic but iceberg warnings. I would think that would make them stop and take notice?

So, if the message from the Californian was loud did that not mean the ship was closer than the other ships?
Posted on: 2004/3/12 20:42
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
The iceberg warnings meant nothing to the two of them - why should they? They had no idea of navigation. All they knew was this is the way to handle the set, and these are my duties. You send someone something in (what was to them a foreign language (Latatude and Longitude) it meant nothing to them. Only the bits addressed "To Captain, [i:e662462a4f]Titanic[/i:e662462a4f] were sent directly to the bridge.

And yes, the very strength of the signal from [i:e662462a4f]Californian[/i:e662462a4f] was a good indication of where she was - she didn't have anything like [i:e662462a4f]Titanic's[/i:e662462a4f] signalling power.
Posted on: 2004/3/13 3:46
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.