Poster Thread
  •  Adam Went
      Adam Went
Titanic really sunk by an iceberg?

From Tasmania, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Hi all,
i went to a maritime museum recently and i photocopied some pages that said that Titanic may have been sunk by a whale, submarine, and all these other wild rumours. Anyone got any comments?
Cheers. [/img]
Posted on: 2002/12/19 20:34
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  titanicfreak_15
      titanicfreak_15
sunk by an iceburg

From tx
Group:
Registered Users
i have never heard that the titanic was sunk by anything but an iceburg. its two sisters however were sunk by something else. the olympic was hit by a subramine and the britanic was hit by a whale i believe. :D
Posted on: 2002/12/21 3:34
  •  *Juliet*
      *Juliet*
ummm really?

From Las Vegas, Nevada
Group:
Registered Users
the olympic was taken for scrap metal in 1937 or so and i think the latest theory on the britannic was a torpedo...
but titanic definately sank because of a collision with an iceberg.
*juliet*
Posted on: 2003/1/2 6:52
  •  White Star
      White Star

From NSW, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Olympic was scraped, Titanic sank as a result of a collision with an iceberg and Britannic hit a mine off the coast of Greece.
Posted on: 2003/1/9 11:39
  •  Darren
      Darren

From Victoria, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
All these conspiracies are crap. How could you get 705 survivors to share the same lie.
Posted on: 2003/1/11 11:47
  •  Adam Went
      Adam Went

From Tasmania, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
The Olympic stopped service in 1935 and was scrapped and the Britannic sunk on November 21, 1916 in 55 minutes. 36 people died on Britannic. The torpedo sinking theory is only supported because no laying for a mine was ever found on the bottom of the Aegean sea but almost all the survivors say it was a mine. It is in excellent condition compared to Titanic- almost so good that once Robert Ballard talked about making it into an underwater museum- great idea i think. Cheers. :D
Posted on: 2003/1/15 6:47
  •  samantha
      samantha

From
Group:
Registered Users
In regards to Brittanic, I think they should leave the wreckage alone. How would you like it if someone wanted to make a museum out of your casket after you were dead??? Personally I think the people that died should be left to rest in peace. :x
Posted on: 2003/1/19 3:07
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
The olympic was involved in an accident late in 1911. This nearly wrote off the ship. I read a book the other week called "Titanic - The Ship That Never Sank" that explored the idea that the olympic was swapped for the titanic and the olympic was intended to sail out to the north atlantic and transfer everyone onto another ship. They would then open the seacocks and send the ship to the bottom of the sea. However this went wrong and the ship struck an iceberg before the rendevous point. It sank obviously and the rescue ship never turned up. The white star line must have thought that this would be a good way to get the insurance money. This is further backed up by the serial number of the propeller matched that of the olympic and not of the titanic. (It also mentions the stern damage on the wreck was helped by the bodged repairs of the collision damage) Obviously yu will have to read the book to get the full details but i was convinced enough and i firmly believe that the ship resting on the bottom of the north atlantic is not titanic, but is olympic.
Posted on: 2003/1/19 20:28
  •  Adam Went
      Adam Went

From Tasmania, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, i've got that book Darren. It's called "Riddle of the Titanic" but i think it's crap. As for the propeller, that is all a lie too. The reason for that was that the Olymic dropped a propeller after hitting a sunken ship so then the Titanic's spare propeller was given to the Olymic and the Olympic's spare was later given to Titanic-that's why and it's historical fact. Anyway, the identity of this ship has already been prooved from a lifebelt found at the Titanic site and other memorable things about her which i can't thinkl of right now. Cheers. :)
Posted on: 2003/1/21 21:17
Britannic

From
Group:
Registered Users
Hi,

I realise it's late for this thread, so forgive any [i:5187ded288]faux pas[/i:5187ded288]!

[quote:5187ded288]The Olympic stopped service in 1935 and was scrapped and the Britannic sunk on November 21, 1916 in 55 minutes. 36 people died on Britannic. The torpedo sinking theory is only supported because no laying for a mine was ever found on the bottom of the Aegean sea but almost all the survivors say it was a mine. It is in excellent condition compared to Titanic- almost so good that once Robert Ballard talked about making it into an underwater museum- great idea i think. Cheers.[/quote:5187ded288]

If I may:

Can I ask your source for 36 people dying in Britannic's sinking? Modern research indicates several people dying in the few years following the disaster and thirty at the time of the sinking, but not 36 people.

You say that 'almost all the survivors say it was a mine'. Since that is the opposite of all survivor accounts I've seen, could you point to specific sources? In 1976-77 a reunion was held and only one survivor opined that a mine had caused the sinking; every single other person opined a torpedo. Indeed, three contemporary accounts exist of sightings: two torpedo sightings and one periscope sighting twenty minutes after the explosion.

With regard to the underwater museum, although it's not being actively discussed at present, as far as I know, it's by no means a 'dead' idea.

Kindest regards,

Mark.
Posted on: 2003/9/14 21:39
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.