Main Menu
Recent News
Latest Articles
Random photos

Titanic.com - Titanic News, Photos, Articles & Research | Forum Index
   Titanic movie
  who don't you like from the movie titanic?

Browsing this Thread:   34 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

•  Rate Thread
      Rate this Thread
      Excellent
      Good
      Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  6 Votes
  •  Mac G
      Mac G
Re: who don't you like from the movie titanic?

From New York
Group:
Registered Users
Hitchins was quite the tool in the movie. I'd have knocked him out if I was in boat #6. Ismay didn't bother me. Cal and Lovejoy played good bad guys I thought. Furthermore, I just realized that Jack was a jerk. He took Cal's women. How would you feel if some guy who knew you were engaged tried took her away? Not to mention get involved in some X-rated scenes in someones car. hahaha.

"Yes, I wonder why a ship like that would want to fire a rocket?"

(A Night to Remember, Stone & Gibson)
Posted on: 2007/5/5 16:42
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Mrs. Andrews
      Mrs. Andrews

From Denmark
Group:
Registered Users
I don't like Ismay, Lovejoy and Cal - they are hard to figure out so that's why.
Posted on: 2007/5/9 13:21
  •  michaelamickey1912
      michaelamickey1912

From rocklin in california
Group:
Registered Users
ismay he is the worst!!! and very selfish
Posted on: 2007/5/14 20:43
  •  Captain Dan
      Captain Dan

From Maryland, United States
Group:
Registered Users
I seriously question the authenticity of the portrayal of Ismay in the movie. Not to say that he was a great guy, but from what I've read, he was vilified greatly in the wake of Titanic's foundering and in contrast to what reliable eyewitness had said regarding his coduct.

He was accused of jumping into the lifeboat with women and children as he did in the movie, but reliable witnesses testified in the hearing that he had loaded lifeboats with the rest of the first class gentlemen and got in when told to.

He was also accused of forcing the good Captain Smith to sail recklessly into the ice field. This to seems to be an exaggeration. Captain Smith though supremely qualified, hadn't had the best run of luck with ships leading up to the Titanic's foundering. Some who had sailed with him called him a man with broken luck. Whatever Captain Smith's performance with the Titanic, it was doubtful (in my oppinion) that Ismay had anything to do with it one way or another.

Daniel
Posted on: 2007/5/15 16:24
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with you Captain Dan. Even if Ismay did in fact urge Smith about increasing the Ship's speed, that point is really absolutely meaningless. Captain Smith was just that: The Captain, the closest thing at sea to God on Earth, no overstepping his authority, even if you are the manager of the shipping line. It is still on his shoulders legally if he caved into Ismay's demands (if he indeed did).
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

www.mrmarshall.proboards62.com
Posted on: 2007/5/15 18:48

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
That isnt a fact atall, where it is probable, theres no way you can possibly state that as being fact (or not) she 'overheard'.

As much as Ismay would of have sway in what went on, Smith is in ultimate command, and its soley his responsibility for what happens (ultimate responsibility). Even if Ismay did say something, it would still be Smiths fault for allowing himself to be persuaded. Lastly, what would Smith have to loose? This is his last voyage, who cares what Ismay said, to hell with him......

Martyn
Posted on: 2007/5/24 12:41
  •  Mac G
      Mac G

From New York
Group:
Registered Users
Some great convo here guys! I too think that Ismay was also portrayed as a "bad guy" simply because his company owned the ship and she went down while 1,500 others died. But in a perspective of life itself. Is Ismay now less any worthy of living? Let's say he didn't get in. Then there would be 704 survivors instead of 705. I agreed with Lord Mersey's conclusion there. It's a shame that Ismay and Stanley Lord's lives were dramatically changed because of actions of others and now are the "bad guys."

"Yes, I wonder why a ship like that would want to fire a rocket?"

(A Night to Remember, Stone & Gibson)
Posted on: 2007/5/30 3:08
  •  <3
      <3

From
Group:
Registered Users
I didn't like Cal and Lovejoy... They were way too overprotecting of Rose. And Cal, although loving Rose very much, made her feel horrible about herself many times. I also don't like Officer Hitchens. OMG I would've pushed him overboard!

Molly was trying to do the right thing and he made it seem like her idea was just horrible. They definately should've gone back so maybe that many people didn't die! It would've helped greatly if at least a few lifeboats went back into the wreckage for some survivors.

I also kindda don't like Ismay either, only because there were soo many third class passengers and he decides to save hiself. I read all the comments on this question and most of you stick up for Ismay. I haven't done too much reading on him. But that's mostly because I don't have much time to do anything.

WHEN ARE YOU GUYS ON LIKE I'M ON IN THE MORNING WHEN I HAVE TIME!
I'VE ONLY SEEN 1 PERSON ON WHEN I AM!!
Posted on: 2007/6/21 16:33
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
titanic fanatic wrote: I also don't like Officer Hitchens. OMG I would've pushed him overboard! Molly was trying to do the right thing and he made it seem like her idea was just horrible. They definately should've gone back so maybe that many people didn't die! It would've helped greatly if at least a few lifeboats went back into the wreckage for some survivors.

I also think that Quatermaster Hitchens was a real nerd. However, I think this because of his bickering nature with Molly and the rest of the women on board, and his pessemism (he kept saying they were doomed).

However, I do not blame him for not wanting to return to the scene and trying to pick up survivors of the sinking. It was just too dangerous for the 40 or so passengers he did carry in Lifeboat 6.

Think about it. 1523 people died that night and were in the water. If Hitchens, or any other boat tried to go back into the wreck area right after the ship went under, the boats would have risked being grabbed by more people that they could handle and therefore swamp, and then what do you have---more people die.

If Hitchens went back to try to save people, we could have lost 1563, Molly Brown included.

If all the liveboats went back, there is a great chance that fewer than 705 would have survived. That act of human compassion could have just deepened the scope of the disaster.

When it comes down to it, self preservation becomes a person's greatest life instinct, as much as we like to think of ourselves trying to be heroic.

The odds were too great, especially trying to navigate in the pitch dark.

Now, with that said, Officer Lowe did return in Lifeboat 14, after he transfered most of his people out of his boat to others. However, he waited "till they were half dead" as a line from A Night To Remember goes. And even he sometimes gets critisized for waiting too long. But who can blame him when lives that are already safe from immediate danger could be risked?
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

www.mrmarshall.proboards62.com
Posted on: 2007/6/21 18:57
  •  <3
      <3

From
Group:
Registered Users
yes, he didn't want to risk getting swamped! but... some of the people were half dead or completely dead anyway. and trying to navigate in the dark is hard, but maybe the lifeboats should've been supplied with some type of light. if they were, they would've been better prepared.
Posted on: 2007/6/30 20:48
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.